• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Trying to nail down the cause of crime is like trying to nail down spaghetti. I did a paper in college on crime and poverty and my research blew a hole in the crime/poverty relationship.

The ten poorest counties in America are in Appalachia. And I mean real poverty. No wide screen, no air conditioning, no running water, no electricity. They also have a violent crime rate way below the national average.

I was able to point to a correlation between population density and crime, but no correlation could be made between poverty and crime.

The DOJ web site has some interesting documents with all the statistics. I'll look them up when I get to a real computer.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

I do not care why we have crime. I do not care why we have hurricanes. I intend prepare for both or become a statistic.

40 + years of academic ******** have taught us only this--- violence is very dangerous and needs to be countered immediately not after some academic writes a paper.

We will not survive another 40 + years of academic ********.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I was able to point to a correlation between population density and crime, but no correlation could be made between poverty and crime.
    I'm sure you did the study, but I'm not sure I'm buying your findings, and especially not when you consider that the worst crime in Baltimore is happening in the poorest areas of the city. How about linking crime to both population density combined with poverty?

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Old news, preaching to the choir. You should be telling this somewhere else, like on your FB page, to your friends and family, anyone who doesn't know.......it's what I do.

natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    I'm sure you did the study, but I'm not sure I'm buying your findings, and especially not when you consider that the worst crime in Baltimore is happening in the poorest areas of the city. How about linking crime to both population density combined with poverty?

You hit the nail on the head. High crime does not have a single source. Appalachia is much poorer than the poorest area of Baltimore but only has a fraction of the crime. Also there is no disparity. Everyone is poor.

Baltimore has both rich and poor which creates opportunities for crime that an all poor or all rich area would not have.

Anyway, back to the original point. There is no single or even primary cause for crime. So just like gun control, poverty cannot be singled out. Maybe my son has it all figured out. He says:"There's just bad people out there."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I've taken a few classes, too, and I'm educated enough to know that repeat offenders make up a vast majority of criminals, dude. Come ON, man... This is a massive problem, here in MD.

Years ago I worked with a guy who had walked across Asia (SE Asia to Turkey). He told me about his time in Turkey, he was staying on a commune of mainly Americans.

They had some things stolen, so they called the police. They figured that an officer would show up in a day or two to take a report and that would be the end of it.

In about 45 minutes a bus pulls up and a bunch of police get out. The officer and charge asks them what happened, and then ordered the officers to search they area. A while later, they came back, dragging a guy and carrying all the stolen items.

The officer in charge asked if these were the stolen items. They told him yes, and he turned to the other officers and said something.

They pulled out batons and started beating on the guy. The Americans asked what was going on.

The officer in charge explained, that in Turkey, when the catch someone that is guilty (still possessing the stolen items) they beat them. WHEN, not if, they are convicted, while in prison, they will be beaten. The last thing before they release them from prison, the beat them. They want them to learn to not do things like this.

The recidivism rate in Turkey? 0.5% or 1 out of 200 become repeat offenders. The recidivism rate in the US? 67.5% of those released from prison are re-arrested within 3 years.

Maybe we don't need to go as far as Turkey, but maybe make prison a PUNISHMENT.

natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    Years ago I worked with a guy who had walked across Asia (SE Asia to Turkey). He told me about his time in Turkey, he was staying on a commune of mainly Americans.

They had some things stolen, so they called the police. They figured that an officer would show up in a day or two to take a report and that would be the end of it.

In about 45 minutes a bus pulls up and a bunch of police get out. The officer and charge asks them what happened, and then ordered the officers to search they area. A while later, they came back, dragging a guy and carrying all the stolen items.

The officer in charge asked if these were the stolen items. They told him yes, and he turned to the other officers and said something.

They pulled out batons and started beating on the guy. The Americans asked what was going on.

The officer in charge explained, that in Turkey, when the catch someone that is guilty (still possessing the stolen items) they beat them. WHEN, not if, they are convicted, while in prison, they will be beaten. The last thing before they release them from prison, the beat them. They want them to learn to not do things like this.

The recidivism rate in Turkey? 0.5% or 1 out of 200 become repeat offenders. The recidivism rate in the US? 67.5% of those released from prison are re-arrested within 3 years.

I don't agree with treating the thief that way. In a just society, the police would hand the clubs to the victims and let them do the beating. :D

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Anyway, back to the original point. There is no single or even primary cause for crime. So just like gun control, poverty cannot be singled out. Maybe my son has it all figured out. He says:"There's just bad people out there."

Thank you, that's it exactly.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    DE is considered anti gun?

In some senses yes.

No centerfire rifle hunting, except for groundhogs. .17/.22 rimfire allowed south of the C&D for hunting squirrels. You can hunt with muzzle loaders and shotguns smaller than 10 gauge.

Cumbersome CCDW (concealed carry of deadly weapons permit = CCW) MAY ISSUE process. Classroom and live fire training. Public (published in newspaper) notification of desire to obtain CCDW.

Universal background checks.

No machine guns.

Gov and both senators are anti's.

Still much better that MD in most fronts, but that could change with rumored legislation.

toncapone1

Feb 12, 2013
    Maryland

Boy they don't f*ck around in Turkey do they lol, I remember when the American kid got cained in Singapore for spray painting cars while he was over there (many years ago), it was all over the US news back then

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I can't think of any single thing that would reduce crime more than ending our war on drugs.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I can't think of any single thing that would reduce crime more than ending our war on drugs.

How about legalizing everything else as well. The myth of the crack addict stealing to feed a habit is cute.. of course crack addicts have such highly demanded job skills that they would have no problem paying for the habit out of petty cash.

An MJ is no issue, because its no worse than alcohol and we know drunks are model
    employees.

Of course no drug use ever leads to violent crime because if it did we would have a government interest in restricting access.

I think the best way to eliminate crime is to do away with the criminal code -- no crime... at all.

Now wasting police resources are crimes that no one prosecutes .. oh right in MD that would be all of them ..

I stand corrected we start by ending the war on drugs and thwn eliminate the entire criminal code --

Got my vote --

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't agree with treating the thief that way. In a just society, the police would hand the clubs to the victims and let them do the beating. :D

The police are properly trained to avoid permanent damage. :)

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    The death penalty is primarily used as a tool to get pleas. It helps achieve the end state that liberals claim they want -- life in prison with out parole ( well actually 5 years at best for a good murder I would bet....).

Here's a tip liberals the repeat offenders can't repeat when in jail. The more they stay in the system the fewer crimes they commit. That's. not deference -- that the law of physics..

what you describe here is called specific deterrence and we don't have nearly enough of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom