• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -After being called back to work after a long month's layoff, that I spent mostly ill (not SARS-COV2 related), it was nice to have life start to return to normal. That included going back to watching online auctions. Was shocked at the money being thrown around, even with these high rates of unemployment. So stuck to my strategy of trolling the hinterlands. Struck gold with a NJ auction listing for a Stevens 101-16 aka the Springfield 87M.
    -This is a Garand look-a-like that Savage Stevens built in small numbers starting on the eve of WW2. It was a conversion of the Springfield 87A thought to be designed as a M1 Garand .22 trainer for government use. But that never materialized and it was sold to the public. Sears sold them post war in '47-'48 under the Ranger name, wartime production having halted. Production numbers don't exist and as they were never serialized it's a pure guessing game as to how many were built and survive. But they're uncommon. Word is they were expensive compared to the rest of the 87 series and in the post war recession they languished on shelves. I hadn't seen one for sale for quite some time (this week there are two up for sale on GB if anyone's curious). So compared to the very common Savage 6 / Springfield 87 / Stevens 101 series (production ran from '37 to '60 with 1.8 million built) they're actually collectible.
    -If you've ever seen a sporter Springfield 87 you can see where the 87M came from. It's a 87 blow back, tube magazine type action mounted in a Garand style stock (mine has the dovetail cut in the barrel for the sporter rear sight). While built with no SN I did find what I believe to be an assembly number, not unlike what the Japanese did with Arisaka rifles. In my case it's numbered 100, marked on the stock under the similarly marked buttplate. The Ranger has a fine blued finish and accuracy claims are very good. It has a strange feature that allows it to be used as a bolt action by pushing in on the bolt handle, locking it forward or rearward. When I received it the bolt handle was pushed inwards, locking it. Drove me crazy until I figured out what the heck was going on.
    -It also has a feature that's unique. In semi-auto mode the bolt locks back as long as you keep the trigger depressed. Release the trigger and the bolt is now free to move forward. Gives it a "click - clack" sound. Very wonky and makes me wonder if this odd feature alone kept it from being used as a US military trainer. I know if I was instructing newbies on the M1 Garand I would want a trainer that duplicated the trigger motion for sure. Here's a Youtube video that explains what I'm talking about. Much easier to understand this way.
    -Got mine cheap, as there was a missing front barrel band (arrived with a worm-drive clamp substitute) and some minor surface rust on the action. Figure on paying around $600-1000 for an 87M on average. I once saw one fitted with a Garand trigger guard and safety lever that sold for $1600 in an RIA auction. Lord knows what the back story to that one was.
    -Parts for the unique 87M stock are pure unobtanium and the bands are rather fragile, have seen one or two with the front band missing over the years. So I went about looking for a workable substitute. Ended up modifying an Enfield No4 front band by cutting it down to the correct width. Slightly larger in dia I added two small dowels to the inside of the band to take up slack and give it a solid grip on the stock.
    -Cleaned the action and she's ready for a range session. Started the search for a sling but the sling loops are a narrow 3/4" so finding one will be a challenge. It's also factory drilled and tapped for a Weaver 2N side mount scope so I'm on the hunt for a nice vintage 3/4" scope too.

Attachments

• IMGP9147.JPG
      IMGP9147.JPG
      20.3 KB · Views: 571
    • IMGP9151.JPG
      IMGP9151.JPG
      21 KB · Views: 553
    • IMGP9153.JPG
      IMGP9153.JPG
      35.2 KB · Views: 579
    • IMGP9148.JPG
      IMGP9148.JPG
      86 KB · Views: 546
    • IMGP9150.JPG
      IMGP9150.JPG
      56.7 KB · Views: 535
    • IMGP9154.JPG
      IMGP9154.JPG
      82.1 KB · Views: 520
    • IMGP9155.JPG
      IMGP9155.JPG
      51.3 KB · Views: 516

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    No guarantees but I'll check around my stash...have 3 leather military slings just not sure if they are 1 inch or smaller.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Speak of the devil mawkie, I just won one at an auction myself! I'll add pictures to this thread when it arrives.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Speak of the devil mawkie, I just won one at an auction myself! I'll add pictures to this thread when it arrives.

Cool! Looking forward to it. There have been a small spate of these up for sale recently. Gotta say they're kinda neat.
    Fabricated a proper slotted screw for the new front band last night. Now it looks proper. Can't for the life of me figure out where all the Enfield band screws went to. Have 3-4 bands in the spares box and no screws. Hence having to fab one.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    That's really nice! Looking forward to seeing more photos. Gotta say I like how they heft. Think it would have been a decent Garand trainer had the government gone that route.

Kaboh1100

Oct 7, 2023
    Parkville
    I know I am a bit late to this party. Just had to chime in. I have one of these rifles with a Ranger 101.16 marked barrel with the original scope mount and a 3x small tube Weaver scope same vintage as the rifle. One of Granddads old guns. I really didn't pay much attention to them until I saw a video on youtube about a unique 22lr. I checked the stock and butt plate on mine. #74. Gotta love these old rifles

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    I have a NIB unfired Savage Steven's "click clack" with those gill cuts; IIRC the stock is more sporter style than the above pics and the trigger guard is cheap sheet metal; 57 dollar hang tag.

Nice post. Always like learning something new. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom