• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LUVE

Apr 27, 2020
    Montgomery County, MD
    Hello All,

I had my phone interview 9 days ago and my application still says accepted. I'm concerned because others have noted that they were approved the day after their interview in the MSP portal. I know some delays may be due to COVID-19 but it didn't affect my HQL.

How long is taking people to their initial CCW (wear and carry) these past few months?

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    HQL and CCW processing are not necessarily correlated in any manner because there are different arbitrary bottlenecks in each process. I would not judge timelines for one based off the other. This is Maryland, so as long as you get it within 90 days of when you applied, consider the process to have gone as smoothly as it can.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    HQL and CCW processing are not necessarily correlated in any manner because there are different arbitrary bottlenecks in each process. I would not judge timelines for one based off the other. This is Maryland, so as long as you get it within 90 days of when you applied, consider the process to have gone as smoothly as it can.

If you were going to get both...

DO NOT GET THE HQL FIRST!

Save the hassle and the money. Once you have the CCW... the HQL is simply a matter of application.

Join “Maryland Shall Issue” (MSI)
    https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/join
    Members get help through the process. And MSI is actively fighting for our 2A COTUS Rights on the local, state, and federal level.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I used to allow students in my permit courses who did not have an HQL, however I was repeatedly shown true beginners do not do as well in a mixed experience class. It's very difficult to get what you need out of a more "advanced" course if you have no experience. If you are a beginner getting your first pistol do an HQL course, or some sort of basic pistol course, first and get some experience with your firearm. Another option is get in a course that is ALL beginners, then the course pacing can be more appropriate. I know several instructors who wil do small group Instruction tailored to the group.

That being said some instructors are charging a premium price, others more reasonable. Shop around, check instructors reputations, and do what's best.

Just my opinion, feel free to have your own.
    TD

LUVE

Apr 27, 2020
    Montgomery County, MD
    I used to allow students in my permit courses who did not have an HQL, however I was repeatedly shown true beginners do not do as well in a mixed experience class. It's very difficult to get what you need out of a more "advanced" course if you have no experience. If you are a beginner getting your first pistol do an HQL course, or some sort of basic pistol course, first and get some experience with your firearm. Another option is get in a course that is ALL beginners, then the course pacing can be more appropriate. I know several instructors who wil do small group Instruction tailored to the group.

That being said some instructors are charging a premium price, others more reasonable. Shop around, check instructors reputations, and do what's best.

TD
    I have law enforcement academy training and an extensive background with guns. My actions were to comply with the state to make purchases where I currently live. Thanks for sharing tough.

LUVE

Apr 27, 2020
    Montgomery County, MD
    If you were going to get both...

DO NOT GET THE HQL FIRST!

Save the hassle and the money. Once you have the CCW... the HQL is simply a matter of application.

Join “Maryland Shall Issue” (MSI)
    https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/join
    Members get help through the process. And MSI is actively fighting for our 2A COTUS Rights on the local, state, and federal level.
    Hey there,

I took a reasonably priced combination class (HQL/CCW/Utah/Self-Defense = $395) for what most are paying just for a single state CCW class. The instructor was experienced and well versed what the state requires. https://www.northharfordfirearmstraining.com

I paid for the HQL because I wanted new guns in 30 days versus 90.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    LUVE,
    You obviously have more than adequate experience, my post was concerning people brand new to firearms with no experience. I would have had no issue with having someone with previous experience/training in my more advanced courses.

I know the instructor you took your training from and he is a good guy. There are many fine instructors teaching in the area at many differing prices.

TD

LUVE

Apr 27, 2020
    Montgomery County, MD
    LUVE,
    You obviously have more than adequate experience, my post was concerning people brand new to firearms with no experience. I would have had no issue with having someone with previous experience/training in my more advanced courses.

I know the instructor you took your training from and he is a good guy. There are many fine instructors teaching in the area at many differing prices.

TD
    Place your link here in this thread. I'd love to look at what you have to offer and when you will offer. I love learning and refreshing and seeing things from different perspectives.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

TD

There are many folks who are very well versed in the safe handling of firearms... yet do not have nor do they want a Maryland HQL.

Many such folks are members of this very forum.

While I understand the issues which are present with new shooters. The lack of a HQL is no indication of skill or proficiency level.

sacnut

Dec 29, 2012
    Baltimore County
    My application was approved, 7 days after my interview with the investigator. I received the permit in-hand, yesterday (7 days after that). The whole process took me about 2 and a half months from the day that I submitted my application.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    There are many folks who are very well versed in the safe handling of firearms... yet do not have nor do they want a Maryland HQL.

Many such folks are members of this very forum.

While I understand the issues which are present with new shooters. The lack of a HQL is no indication of skill or proficiency level.

I guess I wasn't clear, I am not saying someone would have to have an HQL, I am saying they would be better off having some sort of basic skills or experience. People BRAND NEW to firearms should get some basic training before taking more advanced courses.

TD

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I guess I wasn't clear, I am not saying someone would have to have an HQL, I am saying they would be better off having some sort of basic skills or experience. People BRAND NEW to firearms should get some basic training before taking more advanced courses.

TD

All people should avail themselves of training. And they should do it on their own.

The fact is... the COTUS 2A does not require it. And no laws should be written to require it before any non prohibited citizen is able to exercise that right.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Place your link here in this thread. I'd love to look at what you have to offer and when you will offer. I love learning and refreshing and seeing things from different perspectives.

Not sure if links are allowed, I tried to include one in my signature and while back and got my hands slapped. Ill PM you.

TD

LUVE

Apr 27, 2020
    Montgomery County, MD
    My application was approved, 7 days after my interview with the investigator. I received the permit in-hand, yesterday (7 days after that). The whole process took me about 2 and a half months from the day that I submitted my application.
    Was this during our current climate? If so, give detailed data points. Thanks.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Hello All,

I had my phone interview 9 days ago and my application still says accepted. I'm concerned because others have noted that they were approved the day after their interview in the MSP portal. I know some delays may be due to COVID-19 but it didn't affect my HQL.

How long is taking people to their initial CCW (wear and carry) these past few months?

I received my "final disposition" email from MSP 8 days after my interview. I received my card 7 days later. Total time from when my app was received to getting the card in the mail was 7 weeks exactly. I have to say, I was impressed. I was expecting to go the full 90 days. I was half that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom