My Firearms Are Being Held For Absolutely No Reason. Is there anything I can do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    . Since you mentioned handgun and rifle both in the singular , the pragmatic approach would ask what is their market value/ replacement cost vs lawyer fees . Anything with sentimental value, family heirloom , gifts from mentors, or otherwise irreplaceable ?

And the ( or one of ) Catch-22 s , is they can administratively take essentially unlimited time b but when they do contact you , you are on a strict timeline .

Added - In addition to the pragmatic money question , of course the question of acting on Principle , to make a Point . Standing up for the 2nd, 4th, and 5th Amendments is an important thing to do, and the more people who do are a Good Thing overall . But have your eyes open going in , and be prepared for the time in manhours and calender elasped time , and aggravation .

If you in need of firearms on purpose for defensive or recreational purposes now and in the reasonable future , you need to purchase substitute / additional firearms now anyway .
    Think 7 days to respond from when they SEND a Registered Letter . Of the Post Office is slow , and typically leaves a green notice in your box , and it takes a day to go to P.O. to sign for it , that's eating out of your time window . Failure to respond within time window is deemed you're surrendering the gun(s) to be destroyed . Likewise if you are late to arrive to your scheduled Meeting aka Administrative Hearing , it is also deemed surrendering .

And even if cleared in Court , the various Md LEAs consider it discresionary if they decide they feel comfortable to " give " you a firearm .

JamesBoyd

Mar 29, 2014
    Temple Hills, MD
    Thanks to you all.

To answer questions, I do indeed have one rifle and one handgun. There is no sentiment attached to any of it. I have just enjoyed guns since a young age and sport shooting is one of my favorite hobbies.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I would try to fix this situation as it may effect future purchases if you have a flag on your name . I am not sure how it works but that would concern me even if the 2 guns are not worth much in value but your good name should be priceless .

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    A friend of mine had his guns destroyed by AA county supposedly because he did not pick them up as soon as the protective order was dropped. The problem, was the judge had placed him on a probation that said he had to wait a year until he could pick up his weapons. He never got any notification and the sheriff's office refuses to produce any paperwork.

I suspect they were stolen by members of the sheriff's office.

I would not wait. Get an attorney.

Total BS. :sad20:

Serial numbers are recorded. Records are kept. No LEO is going to steal your firearm and risk being fired and charged criminally. They can buy their own.

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    The longer that I am in this hell hole state and hear of stories like this the harder I want to up and leave! So I will! Just got a nice property in WV! I close on the house at the end of this month! Ah the fresh smell of freedom!!!!!! The cherry on the pie is that the book of faces has offered me a job as a systems engineer! Still undecided as to whether or not I'll take that job working for the Zucc. :lol: :party29:

That being said I'll keep fighting the good fight for you guys and will donate to the cause! I'm getting older and need to think about not just my future but my children's future as well. If you value your rights and your property I urge you get out of Maryland! They don't deserve you guys! They don't deserve your hard earned tax dollars! They already have billions of dollars in budget shortfalls! Kick them where it hurts! I've got to imagine that with all of this COVID-19 nonsense they are in deep doo doo financially as they have been for a while now anyway! I hear that WV is much better for retirement too!

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    It's hilarious to me that Maryland insists on driving out middle to upper class folk while mass importing people that pretty much need to be on the government dole. I get it's to keep the tyrants in power but it's really no wonder why they have such huge budget shortfalls! It's only gonna get worse as if it's not bad enough already.

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    I guess I'd wait it out as others have said. In the meantime, is there anything stopping you from buying another firearm? You may need it in the current climate, and living in a communist state, where LE may not be willing or able to help you.

dromano

Apr 3, 2009
    Sorry to hear you're experiencing this but it's no surprise. You're in Maryland and even worse, Prince George's County. Getting a lawyer is the best advice. Once your issue is resolved, move out of Maryland. I left 7 years ago because of things like this and other issues. I've never regretted the move and have never looked back.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    The longer that I am in this hell hole state and hear of stories like this the harder I want to up and leave! So I will! Just got a nice property in WV! I close on the house at the end of this month! Ah the fresh smell of freedom!!!!!! The cherry on the pie is that the book of faces has offered me a job as a systems engineer! Still undecided as to whether or not I'll take that job working for the Zucc. :lol: :party29:

That being said I'll keep fighting the good fight for you guys and will donate to the cause! I'm getting older and need to think about not just my future but my children's future as well. If you value your rights and your property I urge you get out of Maryland! They don't deserve you guys! They don't deserve your hard earned tax dollars! They already have billions of dollars in budget shortfalls! Kick them where it hurts! I've got to imagine that with all of this COVID-19 nonsense they are in deep doo doo financially as they have been for a while now anyway! I hear that WV is much better for retirement too!

I will!!! 60 months and counting. Just have to get the youngest through graduation...due to divorce, can't take him with me so I'm waiting till then.

apdbobby

Jun 12, 2013
    Easton
    Okay!!! So I can’t say what I do!!! But I have first had knowledge of this little unknown abuse of power that is totally used to get what someone wants at the expense of someone’s rights. It’s a MD thing!!! There is NO due process (no proof of allegations) with these civil orders to violate your rights! Even thought the powers to be say there is!!
    Sorry buddy about your misfortune. You must!!! Listen to me on this!!! And everyone else reading this, pick your significant other very very carefully if you live in MD. If you have a dispute always video it and always walk away!

Regards to your firearms! The court opens on July 20th so file a writ to have your property returned!

Send PG county a formal letter requesting the return of your firearms! Registered mail.

Instead of turning your guns over you can always give them to someone else like a FFL.

Good luck

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    It won't help the OP, but for the rest of us to use this as a lesson learned:

1. If you are ordered to surrender firearms, is there a way to surrender them to a different entity that would be more responsive to giving them back once you are cleared?
    2. If they are out of state, can you be jailed/fined for contempt of court for not producing them?

They can throw me in jail for contempt but they will not get my guns. As soon as you know they are coming for them, give them to a friend or relative out of state.

As for your situation, call a lawyer. That is the only way you know you might get them back.

fauxknee

Mar 9, 2018
    Never?

Total BS. :sad20:

Serial numbers are recorded. Records are kept. No LEO is going to steal your firearm and risk being fired and charged criminally. They can buy their own.

You sir would not steal but it’s proven there are some that would murder a man on camera for the world to see, so........never say never?

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I was in a similar situation in Baltimore County when I was going through my divorce. It took me over 2 years and over $7000 in legal fees. In hindsight, it would have been cheaper to let the county have the guns. When they were returned, many had scratches on the surface and some surface rust. The guns were returned in a paper shopping bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom