Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 21st, 2019, 02:53 PM #1

best (legal) way to get a target/old school ar15?

I'm some-what new to the area and looking to get my first AR15. I'm a target shooter looking for a plinker. Nothing tacticoo. I wouldn't mind a plain jane a2.

Any recommendations? Gun shops or gun shows? So far every place sounds super hunter or super tacticool, nothing up my alley.
martman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2019, 03:06 PM #2

You can't have an A2 in Md post oct 2013. Heavy barrels only.

You could get one in that style with a fixed stock if it had a heavy barrel and not A2 profile. They are around
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Such as were inclined to defend themselves, but unable to purchase Arms and Ammunition, have, as we are informed, been supplied with both, as far as Arms could be procured, out of Monies given by the last Assembly for the King’s Use..."
- Benjamin Franklin
budman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2019, 03:25 PM #3

A Colt Target HBAR is a very good choice for you
These are all used and available at local gunshops or Gunbroker.
Another choice is an Colt AR15A3 (Colt 6721). They are also pretty easy to find. I believe they just stopped making this model. There is one for sale in the classifieds right now. https://www.mdshooters.com/vbclassif...do=ad&id=37134
FWIW my 6721 is my favorite rifle and capable of much better accuracy than I am.
Wyndham Weaponry also makes a great rifle.

Last edited by dontpanic; June 21st, 2019 at 05:01 PM.
dontpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2019, 05:36 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman93 View Post
You can't have an A2 in Md post oct 2013. Heavy barrels only.

You could get one in that style with a fixed stock if it had a heavy barrel and not A2 profile. They are around
The designation A2 refers to the version with carry handle w/ iron sights. I believe you meant the light contour GI barrel version when you said it is illegal. The A2 version of an AR is perfectly legal as long as the barrel is HBAR.
OP, FYI, the A4 version, picatinny rail flat top, is good for mounting a scope. Detachable carry handles w/ iron sights are available for those.
dist1646 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2019, 05:45 PM #5

Sent you a PM with a suggestion...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old July 12th, 2019, 10:39 AM #6

If you just want a plain jane A2 that's easy. Your best bets it you just want an A2 configuration are

Wyndham Weaponry

Armalite-Eagle

Ruger (not sure if they offer an HBAR version)

(I'm not including S&W M&P because even though they fit in this category, I am not aware of a MD legal version they offer)

Palmetto State Armory (PSA)

Now, the truest, milsurpiest of all would be an actual Colt HBAR sporter, but the market rates I've seen for those are actually pretty high.

A wyndham, ruger or armalite shouldn't run you more than 550$ retail, and realistically, you can snag one closer to 400-450 if you do your homework.

Now, the PSA option, you can pick up a complete rifle from them, with basic A2 style handguards and a fixed front A2 sight for 400ish any day of the week. You can "build" one for even less with one of their parts kits. Middle ground, you pick up a completed upper for 200$, a completed lower for 150$, get them shipped to you, and bam. All you have to do is click them together. 350$ fully functional rifle. Of course the additional fees for you would be a rear sight (if they don't come with a good one. You can find a good iron sight or carry handle with sight assembly for 50 bucks.) and transfer fee (the lower part of the rifle is still considered the "firearm" so it can't ship to you. It has to go to a dealer who will charge you another 30-40 bucks to call in the background check and sign your forms).

End of the day, an online buy + ffl is probably going to beat the prices you'll find at most LGS counters

PSA is considered a "budget" option, but a reputable one. You might not try to any regional competitions with it, but for the "an AR is an AR" crowd, a PSA rifle is going to show up on time, work like its supposed to, and not have any quality control issues.

One last thing, the most common length sold seems to be 16" by a pretty wide margin, but if truly want an old school/target rifle, you might want to look for an 18 or 20". Again, if you decide to go PSA that's easy enough, they offer a bunch of different lengths.
CyclicUpvote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 10:42 AM #7

Del-Ton makes an HBAR with an A2 front sight base. Price is going to be $650 or so.
Old July 12th, 2019, 10:43 AM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclicUpvote View Post
If you just want a plain jane A2 that's easy. Your best bets it you just want an A2 configuration are

Wyndham Weaponry

Armalite-Eagle

Ruger (not sure if they offer an HBAR version)

(I'm not including S&W M&P because even though they fit in this category, I am not aware of a MD legal version they offer)

Palmetto State Armory (PSA)

Now, the truest, milsurpiest of all would be an actual Colt HBAR sporter, but the market rates I've seen for those are actually pretty high.

A wyndham, ruger or armalite shouldn't run you more than 550$ retail, and realistically, you can snag one closer to 400-450 if you do your homework.

Now, the PSA option, you can pick up a complete rifle from them, with basic A2 style handguards and a fixed front A2 sight for 400ish any day of the week. You can "build" one for even less with one of their parts kits. Middle ground, you pick up a completed upper for 200$, a completed lower for 150$, get them shipped to you, and bam. All you have to do is click them together. 350$ fully functional rifle. Of course the additional fees for you would be a rear sight (if they don't come with a good one. You can find a good iron sight or carry handle with sight assembly for 50 bucks.) and transfer fee (the lower part of the rifle is still considered the "firearm" so it can't ship to you. It has to go to a dealer who will charge you another 30-40 bucks to call in the background check and sign your forms).

End of the day, an online buy + ffl is probably going to beat the prices you'll find at most LGS counters

PSA is considered a "budget" option, but a reputable one. You might not try to any regional competitions with it, but for the "an AR is an AR" crowd, a PSA rifle is going to show up on time, work like its supposed to, and not have any quality control issues.

Ruger does make an HBAR. It's a budget option - got a few non-standard parts like a plastic handguard ring, and an odd front sight.
Old July 12th, 2019, 10:57 AM #9

Build an AR pistol lower...avoid the silly barrel requirement and order a complete upper. If you go with PSA you could get a lower for 29.99, a lower parts kit with brace for 120, and a complete upper w/bcg for 350 whole cost with transfer fees little over 500
pp55ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 11:00 AM #10

Since you want the A2 look, but it has to be HBAR and just want it for target shooting, you could go straight to a National Match AR. A lot of competitors are ditching their A2s for A4s since the rules started allowing optics a few years ago in competition. Unlike a stock A2, you'll have a float tube under the handguard and finer sights. I saw a complete White Oak National Match A2 upper last week for $400 shipped on another forum.
ken792 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles