How do new handguns end up on the MD handgun roster?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03gsxr1000

Speed Demon
    Jul 4, 2010
    So I have my sights on a great gun and is gonna be awesome with my can and red dot on it. I got the cash and ready to pull the trigger and buy it. So ready to put some lead down range.
    Nope.
    Much to my dismay, it's not on the roster.
    This makes it impossible too register it. WTF MD how is this even legal?. Anyways

What is the process to get any particular new firearm added to this stupid list?

Should I buy one, pay for it to ship to my FFL, Have the FFL submit it to the roster board and wait?
    I have a feeling that this is gonna be the quickest way.
    Otherwise if I hold off, typically how long does a gun take to make it onto the roster by osmosis?
    This really seems like a way to stomp on rights.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Talk to your favorite local independently owned gun shop. They are usually the ones who submit handguns to the roster board, usually on their own dollar. The submitted handguns don't always return in the 100% condition in which they were submitted. This is a cost of doing business in this regulated-to-death state that I wish they would not have to incur. It's one of the reasons I do not buy online or from Bass Pro.

There is a good chance that whatever it is that has caught your eye might be submitted or is planned for submission quite soon. What is it?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Welcome to MD.

First, just because you dont see it does not mean its not there. Tell us what it its. Lots of guns appear in wierd places. The Jericho 941 is not where youd think it would be, and the CZ 75 SP01 is hard to find.

Second, supposing its not there, the process depends what it is. A caliber addition, or a model with a 3" barrel when the identical 4" is on the roster is simpler than a whole new model.

The next handgun roster is Apr 27, and the cutoff for samples is apr 10. A new gun would go on the roster maybe 7 weeks after apr 27 if its approved.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    One of three ways.

1. The manufacturer submits the handgun to the Board.
    2. An FFL submits the firearm, to the Board.
    3. You submit the handgun to the Board.

Form and rules attached.

Attachments

• Handgun Roster Petition.pdf
      1.8 MB · Views: 230
    • Handgun roster approval rules.jpg
      Handgun roster approval rules.jpg
      25.3 KB · Views: 1,254

03gsxr1000

Speed Demon
    Jul 4, 2010
    The Q5 and PPQ are both on the roster. This is functionally the same, so hopefully no sample is needed. I'd call first thing (number on website http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...onBureau/LicensingDivision/HandgunRoster.aspx) and ask if they need a sample. If so, you can fill out the form yourself and submit it.

Nice gun!

I do not have the gun. I want to buy it. An FFL told me to submit it I would have to find one, pay for it, ship it to the FFL, have the FFL submit it to the roster board, THEN WAIT. If it is added then I can do the ppwk and wait again.
    I can't submit if I don't have

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I do not have the gun. I want to buy it. An FFL told me to submit it I would have to find one, pay for it, ship it to the FFL, have the FFL submit it to the roster board, THEN WAIT. If it is added then I can do the ppwk and wait again.
    I can't submit if I don't have
    I've done the above before to get a handgun added to the MD roster.
    The Q5 and PPQ are both on the roster. This is functionally the same, so hopefully no sample is needed. I'd call first thing (number on website http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...onBureau/LicensingDivision/HandgunRoster.aspx) and ask if they need a sample. If so, you can fill out the form yourself and submit it.

Nice gun!
    However, Dan is right. This is comparable to a caliber addition. When variants of a gun already on the roster are introduced that are the same size (and functionally work the same - e.g. trigger and safety mechanisms), the roster board will often only require an application on paper.

Don't need to work with your FFL at this point. Search this board for the contact information for Marlene Jenkins. Write her an email, describe the pistol, mention related PPQs already on the roster, and ask if you can apply for its addition on the roster without sending a sample. As she coordinates this process for the handgun roster board, she'll give you a definitive answer. She'll also know if someone else has already filed an application so you don't need to.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

03gsxr1000

Speed Demon
    Jul 4, 2010
    Thank you all for the info. I called and left a message so hope to hear back fruition msp soon.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    So I have my sights on a great gun and is gonna be awesome with my can and red dot on it. I got the cash and ready to pull the trigger and buy it. So ready to put some lead down range.
    Nope.
    Much to my dismay, it's not on the roster.
    This makes it impossible too register it. WTF MD how is this even legal?. Anyways

What is the process to get any particular new firearm added to this stupid list?

Should I buy one, pay for it to ship to my FFL, Have the FFL submit it to the roster board and wait?
    I have a feeling that this is gonna be the quickest way.
    Otherwise if I hold off, typically how long does a gun take to make it onto the roster by osmosis?
    This really seems like a way to stomp on rights.

I ordered a commorative 1911 some years ago from Cylinder & Slide. They were not on the roster by manufacturer or their specific model designation. I had told them about this. When they were making it, they had contacted the handgun roster board here and asked what they needed to do. I don’t know what that was but they did it and my gun shipped, no problem, when it was finished. They did say over the phone that their dealings with the board went smoothly, no problems at all.

Fox Mike

Apr 24, 2010
    Havre de Grace
    Thank you all for the info. I called and left a message so hope to hear back fruition msp soon.

Marlene is a great person to work with BUT, I would continue to call till you get her. I have left messages and she has never returned my call. I have had a couple different variations of a revolver added that already had models on the roster. If you have a model number that is a plus.

03gsxr1000

Speed Demon
    Jul 4, 2010
    So I spoke with a very knowledgeable guy. Since the gun is a PPQ it's already on the roster. So I ordered it from tombstone tactical to his shop.
    Has anyone dealt with tombstone tactical before?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    So I spoke with a very knowledgeable guy. Since the gun is a PPQ it's already on the roster. So I ordered it from tombstone tactical to his shop.
    Has anyone dealt with tombstone tactical before?

this is good news!

I have not dealt with tombstone tactical..but congrats on finding your way through the maze of MD silliness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom