• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    What does the West Virginia automobile inspection amount to? I have a special interest car that I don't want just anybody digging into.

At what age are cars eligible for antique tags in West Virginia? Do cars registered as antiques need to be inspected?

Do any parts of the state have emissions inspections?

Thanks.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    It's mostly a paperwork, you know, checking to see if your wife's maiden name is the same as your last name, that sort of thing.

Last edited:

d2mnem

Aug 18, 2012
    I had all of mine inspected in October. Took 15-20 minutes each. Brakes, lights, etc. My two older cars were put on the lift. New truck wasn't. Pretty simple.

Getting a drivers license wasn't bad either. Wife had to prove name changes as mentioned above. We moved from Maryland last year.

Had to have proof of WV insurance prior to getting tags. Then we had some number of days to get the inspections.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    Big things are brakes and lights. Make sure all your bulbs work. I believe historic tags in WV are 25 years. No inspection necessary. No emissions testing either way... I always had a decent shop back home that would inspect anything, wink wink, for a few extra bucks.

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    They will check for cats, depending on the car they will also check for gutted cats... I keep my stocks handy (as opposed to test pipes) and have an UpRev tune to run them "just in case". We don't have emissions tests or plug-ins here in WV. Find a friendly mechanic, you're g2g. :thumbsup:

That said, be wary that WV has a very convoluted law re: aftermarket exhausts. The ricer crowd killed the party by inciting knee-jerk, horribly loose legislation.

To make matters worse, as it currently stands there is new language to clarify said legislation that while providing specific language limits to 95dB for ALL vehicles, including bikes. The worst is that there is no definition for HOW to properly test for it.

Not sure about older vehicles... aside from shiny things to look at, my personal preferences are more modern. :D

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    Check your brakes, lights, tire tread, and make sure you don't have any holes in your body. Other than that just checking your paper work and mileage. Takes 10mins and cost $12 every year unless you get historic tags

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom