• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjbjhu

Oct 31, 2016
    Glen Burnie
    Doing my first AR build and I'm in kind of a strange spot in that I live in MD now obviously, but will likely be moving to NJ in a few months

I want to build a rifle legal in both states so that means HBAR here, but in jersey it means fixed stock and questionable laws regarding flash suppressors/compensators

that being said, I'm just going to put on a heavy barrel with a target crown so I don't have to worry about the flash suppressor thing

I found this upper that fits the bill and would love some input if people have any. it's a longer barrel than I originally planned (24") but it's going to be a range toy so I don't mind the additional length for my first build

http://midstatefirearms.com/24-SS-Fluted-Bull-556-223-Wylde-Upper-Gen3-slim-rail-24ssupper.htm

again, any input would be appreciated or suggestions for an upper that fits the bill of what I need are also appreciated. Thanks

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Assuming the barrel is an accurate shooter, a fixed stock will help balance and stablize the rifle to realize accuracy potential. Being it is a precision shooter you might as well get a good bipod (mounted on the handguard) and a good trigger. The glass you choose is up to what you and your pocketbook agree on.

mjbjhu

Oct 31, 2016
    Glen Burnie
    Looks like it'll do the job :). What's your budget? Have you considered building your own upper and putting something like a white oak barrel on it?

I've considered it, but this is my first AR so I'm a bit leery about building the whole thing, but maybe I'll give it a shot.

Budget is fairly flexible. I got a nice tax return so that helps, but probably around 5-600 would be best.

care to tell me a bit more about white oak? how are the uppers and barrels?

starmetal

Apr 5, 2017
    In my opinion STAG uppers and lowers are among the best. STAG is the commercial outlet for CMT which is one of the oldest, if not the first, AR manufacturers. That's who made COLT.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    i would go with colt, bcm, LMT someone like that. a plain upper will not be outside your budget. if you start getting fancy and adding rails etc... you can get expensive.

Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County
    I understand you're worried about building the entire upper yourself. I was the same way about my lower, so I got a completed one, but the upper I built myself, with the knowledge found on MDS. Next time I'll do the entire gun. It's probably easier than you think, and you end up learning a lot more about your gun. I say go for it.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Personally I would wait to do the upper build until you move then you don't have to worry about it being HBAR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjbjhu

Oct 31, 2016
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks for the input. Went with the 6h kit. they had a tax sale for the lower parts kit, complete upper, fixed stock and buffer spring, rifle case, 10rd magazine for $452 so I grabbed it

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom