• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What sucks worse then no bird? Finding out your expensive boots have a hole in them. Didn't remember how swampy McKees is, and damn the mosquitoes.

I was not far from you today. Heard one gobbler at dawn. No luck. Called in a hen(kee-keed) in the hopes of dragging a gobbler along with her. She was alone. My first day out. I hate turkey hunting in the rain!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    This morning my cousin walked out to his blind, set up and within 15 minutes this guy came in and attacked his decoy.

Attachments

• 18076955_10212637040545787_6296196818445351204_o.jpg
      18076955_10212637040545787_6296196818445351204_o.jpg
      95.5 KB · Views: 262

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I didn't even get to go yet that's the worst of all! I'm going to go look at my gear, bet I don't have a dam thing together after the boys raided my stuff when I wasn't around. Calls, bug spray,decoys, binos, a handful of shells bet its all gone. I already hid my rain suit earlier though. I'm want to sit on a field in Vienna tomorrow morning when its raining.

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    Here is my set up on Wednesday 4-19-17. I was approximately 25 yards back into the woods. I heard one Gobbler in the morning greeting the day from the roost approximately 300 yards out. Just after first light I gave him a couple of soft clucks, and four or five soft yelps. He immediately responded. I kept quiet and waited. Just after sunrise I started with a couple of clucks, and purrs on my slate call, Nothing.

At 635 I see old boy strutting out in the field coming to my decoy from right to left! This put him in my right shooting lane. It took him 15 minutes to cover the 200 yards stopping to strut and dance along the way. My plan was once he went behind the the brush
    headed to my straight ahead shooting lane I could move unseen, and get the shot, However, once he got within 10 yards of the decoy he headed back the way he came and away from me. Luckily right back into the right side shooting lane. He paused just long
    enough to get a nice 35 yard shot at the back of neck, and head, and the 2 once Winchester Long beard ammo hit there mark.

This is my First Gobbler!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Nice turkeys fellas! Some great pics as well. Gonna get back after'm tomorrow.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    I hunted in md on Wednesaday morning and only saw a few other hunters. Then my father and I spent 3 days down in VA. The birds just didn't seem to want to cooperate much. They would mostly gobble like crazy on the roost then go silent once they hit the ground. I had one bird feeding out in a field I snuck up 80 yards from. As soon I start calling he went into a strut and started walking away. Total I probably saw 8 gobblers but non wanted to play. One of the days I had the land owner with me. At the stroke of noon I see something moving out of the corner of my eye......he had a selfie stick and got a picture of my barrel. My father killed a bird on Thursday.

Attachments

• FB95IMG951492709276072.jpg
      FB95IMG951492709276072.jpg
      40.1 KB · Views: 220
    • IMG951381.jpg
      IMG951381.jpg
      170.3 KB · Views: 218

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Any one hunting in Harford? I went out last Friday, but didnt get much response. Havent heard the birds much in the mornings in the last two weeks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I was lucky to bag a Central Maryland tom {22#, 10" beard & 1" spurs} on first day {Tuesday}, at 7am, 20 yards away on the ground; with my 12 gauge Winchester 1300 NWTF engraved shotgun, using one 3" magnum Federal Hevi-shot #5,6&7 load.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was lucky to bag a Central Maryland tom {22#, 10" beard & 1" spurs} on first day {Tuesday}, at 7am, 20 yards away on the ground; with my 12 gauge Winchester 1300 NWTF engraved shotgun, using one 3" magnum Federal Hevi-shot #5,6&7 load.

Congrats! Where you been hiding, Erno?

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    My wife and I went out Sunday morning in Carroll county, heard a lot of gobblers around 6 am, but they never came in front of us once they left their roost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I was messing around with a Gobbler Sunday, called him straight into the backyard, big boy!

Heard 2 gunshots on the farm this morning around 7am...imagine that gobbler might not be around anymore.

Good luck to all, I might head out Saturday morning.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    wow awesome guys!

I'm finding Turkey hunting to be very frustrating for me lol.

Saturday I went out and had 5 toms all gobbling about 300 yards or so away on another field (off my property). literally had them responding to calls for 1.5 hours back and forth, they wouldn't cone close enough/on my property. They would cut my call off almkst every time, and i counted 7 times in a row that i'd call theyd respond back to back.

Another hour passes and 2 more toms responding to calls, got within 100 yards or so, but again they won't leave that field. One was HUGE.

Gave up at 11:30am. 4pm decent tom 20 yards from the house, go figure. Sunday morning they are going nuts and 2 more toms in my backyard.

Can't figure this stuff out for the life of me!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    wow awesome guys!

I'm finding Turkey hunting to be very frustrating for me lol.

Saturday I went out and had 5 toms all gobbling about 300 yards or so away on another field (off my property). literally had them responding to calls for 1.5 hours back and forth, they wouldn't cone close enough/on my property. They would cut my call off almkst every time, and i counted 7 times in a row that i'd call theyd respond back to back.

Another hour passes and 2 more toms responding to calls, got within 100 yards or so, but again they won't leave that field. One was HUGE.

Gave up at 11:30am. 4pm decent tom 20 yards from the house, go figure. Sunday morning they are going nuts and 2 more toms in my backyard.

Can't figure this stuff out for the life of me!

Something to try. Next time, if a Tom responds to your first couple calls, stop calling. Give them an hour. More than likely, they'll come in quietly.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Something to try. Next time, if a Tom responds to your first couple calls, stop calling. Give them an hour. More than likely, they'll come in quietly.

I'll give if a try, thanks! I'm knew to Turkey hunting so all if this is trial and error on my end...mostly error at this point haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom