• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LS3Stig

Hey Jack
    Apr 13, 2016
    Silver Spring
    Just want to see what kind of ammo MDS users prefer. I've gone through a box of 500 Remington thunderbolt, federal premium lead nose, but by far my favorite is CCI 40grain.

I have a ruger 10/22 target tactical and a ruger 10/22 charger that I target plink with.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Between the mossberg plinkster I used to have and the 10/22 I have now...

Aguila seems to do pretty good and their Target ammo is great and cheap

Federal automatch shoots decent and is dirt cheap

CCI 40/36gr minimags and Velocitor shoot awesome, but are the most expensive if the bunch. The Velocitor and CPHP are good for game. For paper I am shifting towards the automatch and Aguila target.

I've got about 2000rnds of mixed other ammo to go with my 2000rnds of automatch, Aguila target and minimag/Velocitor.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If you want to do some serious target work you should get Eley products. Red Box 10X, Black Box, etc. Harvey

Eley products are like any other ... some guns will like them and others won't.

I have a Walther KKM target rifle that can cloverleaf at 100y with mid grade Eley ... Tenex makes about an inch and a quarter spread out of the same gun. And I have a heavy barrel Buckmark Bullseye that doesn't like any Eley product; it shoots best with Aquila Rifle Target. More expensive doesn't mean better. My wife puts so many rounds into the same hole with my 75 year old Remington 510 with iron sights that you'd think Federal Target Match was real target ammo.

CCI SV is usually a good place to start. Minimags are the favorite of many people.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Before the Newtown incident and I could walk in and get what I was looking for I spent a lot of time looking at different ammo.
    Ely and CCI had the best brass. The rim was flatter further out so I had less feed and ejection issues. They were also the most reliable primers as well as consistent groups.
    Anything Remington was more duds and wider groups. Except for Remington all lead Target. It was much better. Federal and Winchester were in the middle.

Best value for reliable and accurate was CCI standard followed by CCI minimags

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    CCI Standard is my go-to. My second favorite is Armscor.

When asking this question, there are a few things to consider:
    1) Consistency. The more you pay for .22, generally the more consistent is. Cheap .22 loads will include fliers and failures to fire.
    2) Different guns like different stuff. 22s guns are fickle and different loads and tolerances will work for some guns and not others. Figure out what each gun likes/shoots well.
    3) Rifles and handguns have unique needs due to the blowback required to reset each firearm.

whitey09

Sep 17, 2016
    Out of my buckmark...
    Federal auto match seemed filthy, but was alright otherwise(feeding, accuracy)
    CCI choot ems were good
    CCI mini mags were good
    Aguila 'super extra copper plated RN' were good.

A buddy of mine hates thunderbolts. Says golden bullets are okay, but nothing great. Loves CCI SV, and winchester super x HV.

I have the super x HV but havent had a chance to shoot it yet. If I had to choose ammo from the stuff I have shot so far(all on paper, no hunting yet) I love the aguila super extra. Groups as good or better as CCI minimags/choot ems, easy to find in stock and usually cheaper. Id shoot the federal automatch again, but id clean my gun every 200 to 300 rounds and most.

no regerts

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    CCI Standard is my go-to. My second favorite is Armscor.

When asking this question, there are a few things to consider:
    1) Consistency. The more you pay for .22, generally the more consistent is. Cheap .22 loads will include fliers and failures to fire.
    2) Different guns like different stuff. 22s guns are fickle and different loads and tolerances will work for some guns and not others. Figure out what each gun likes/shoots well.
    3) Rifles and handguns have unique needs due to the blowback required to reset each firearm.

I have a box of Armscor you need to try a few rounds from. Apparently a dud batch; must be just that batch. Made me shy of ever buying it again.

wrc

unexpected T_STRING in
    May 31, 2012
    AACO
    For rimfire action I've been using CCI Standard Velocity Target and Norma TAC-22. It rings the targets. I've had really bad experiences with Blazer lately.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I tested 8 different brands/types of ammo in my 10/22. Fed Automatch and CCI SV were the 2 best. I have been shooting automatch ever since. I tried Eley and I had multiple FTE. It seems fed automatch is just made to function perfectly with 10/22's.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Anything CCI. Thunderturds suck but every once in awhile there is a gun that loves them.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The only way to find the "best" ammunition for your exact rifle is to conduct ammo tests. Two different rifles of the same make and model may prefer different ammo. Here is a link to a test with several rifles, including 10/22's, at several distances with lots of different ammo. Click on the rifle and distance in the first post to see the details:
    http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8711043/m/7531057281

This is a link to when they first started the testing which has some lists of results and more on the background of the testing:
    http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8711043/m/9871088921

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah I've tested I think it is 12 or 13 different kinds in my 10/22 now. Most shoot fine/good. The minimags, Aguila rifle target shoot great, the velocitors CCI SV and Aguila SE shoot well, Armscor, automatch, golden bullets and a couple of others okay. Only Winchester HV and browning hyper velocity were terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom