Wanting to start IDPA OR USPSA , don't know where to start?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    if you know start time and round count, would you please advise, thanks! open to public like your other matches, right?

i have to get out this weekend and hit a match, just haven't figured out which one(s) yet...
    Yes and the usual 10 AM start time. Round count will be 125 (5 stages * 5 targets * 5 runs each). I plan on shooting 2 guns, my 15-22 speed steel carbine and possibly my new Bul M-5 9mm in iron sight class. Just not sure I want to burn thru the 9mm ammo I have right now. I can reload it but usually don't, reloading 9x23mm instead for my STI and other Bul. Often I just shoot my carbine and my open rimfire pistol.

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    i think i found the website for sanners, but no mention of any match or that they do uspsa (idpa only). maybe i found the wrong site?

in any event, do you know the details (# stages, round count, cost, etc)? hopefully experienced shooters but new to sanners don't need to get ok'd in advance or anything? thanks!

Please try to sign up so we know how many to plan for. I see someone already attached the info for you.

Look for Chris Viverette or myself (Steve Thomas). We would love to have ya and will show you around and explain things. We will both be there early.

Please remember.....this is a COLD RANGE. Leave you guns bagged until we gear up and only use the Safety Area for gun handling.

The weather is forecasted to be "ludicrous nice" :)

Steve

randomjoe

Jan 16, 2009
    On this topic, how does this whole process work? I've read over the rule book, but how to you get to the bigger competitions that are broadcast on tv? Do you have to find a qualifier locally and place and then move from there?

I'm looking for a challenge, specifically pistol, and I'm lost as to where to start. I've read through the threads on some of the upcoming comps but since I've never shot at one I'm still a little wary.

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    Randomjoe....I type like old people have sex. Send me a PM and I will give you my phone number. Call me and I will explain everything! :)

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Yes and the usual 10 AM start time. Round count will be 125 (5 stages * 5 targets * 5 runs each). I plan on shooting 2 guns, my 15-22 speed steel carbine and possibly my new Bul M-5 9mm in iron sight class. Just not sure I want to burn thru the 9mm ammo I have right now. I can reload it but usually don't, reloading 9x23mm instead for my STI and other Bul. Often I just shoot my carbine and my open rimfire pistol.

Here are a couple pics. from December Speed Steel Match at Monocacy Pistol Club. Green steel plates are the stop plate and must be shot last.

Attachments

• DSCN9643.jpg
      DSCN9643.jpg
      133.1 KB · Views: 179
    • DSCN9647.jpg
      DSCN9647.jpg
      148.5 KB · Views: 173

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    On this topic, how does this whole process work? I've read over the rule book, but how to you get to the bigger competitions that are broadcast on tv? Do you have to find a qualifier locally and place and then move from there?

I'm looking for a challenge, specifically pistol, and I'm lost as to where to start. I've read through the threads on some of the upcoming comps but since I've never shot at one I'm still a little wary.

Yes, find a local match and shoot a qualifier. Qualifier's are pre determined standard scenarios that everyone in the organization shoots (USPSA). After you have shot enough qualifiers you will get a rating from USPSA.
    As far as I know (NOT MUCH) the big events are filled by clubs getting an allotment of "TICKETS" (for lack of the real term). So every member club gets invites for so many shooters. I do believe there are walk-ons too?

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    January match is 1-12-13 at 10:00am at MPC.(2nd Saturday of the month)
    I usually shoot 22 rimfire pistol and 22 rimfire carbine at this match to stay on the cheap.

Just looked over your website....looks like fun.

Which event gives you the most trigger time, Speed Steel or Falling Steel?

I just may have to make the trip soon!

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom