• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    From a Wikipedia article on Maryland gun laws:

"As of October 1, 2013, detachable magazines for semi-automatic handguns and semi-automatic centerfire rifles which are capable of holding more than 10 rounds may not be purchased, manufactured or sold, though they may be possessed (but not transferred within the state) by persons who already owned them prior to enactment of the 2013 changes. Magazines greater than ten rounds may be purchased or acquired outside the state and carried into Maryland and used within the state."

Can I legally sell hi-capacity (greater than 10 rds) magazines to an out of state buyer via mail? Or do I have to travel outside the borders of MD to conduct such a transaction?

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    From a Wikipedia article on Maryland gun laws:

"As of October 1, 2013, detachable magazines for semi-automatic handguns and semi-automatic centerfire rifles which are capable of holding more than 10 rounds may not be purchased, manufactured or sold, though they may be possessed (but not transferred within the state) by persons who already owned them prior to enactment of the 2013 changes. Magazines greater than ten rounds may be purchased or acquired outside the state and carried into Maryland and used within the state."

Can I legally sell hi-capacity (greater than 10 rds) magazines to an out of state buyer via mail? Or do I have to travel outside the borders of MD to conduct such a transaction?

Not completely right. There is no distinction for center fire rifles. Mags larger than 10 rounds for rimfire are also verboten.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    IIRC, these magazines cannot be "offered for sale" within MD. IANAL, but posting them on this site for sale may be problematic. I doubt you'd be prosecuted, but who knows?

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    IIRC, these magazines cannot be "offered for sale" within MD. IANAL, but posting them on this site for sale may be problematic. I doubt you'd be prosecuted, but who knows?

It doesn't appear that the MDS website is hosted in MD. One of my network tools tells me the server is in Ogden, UT.

Hmmm, could be a Froshy test case I guess. He loves wasting money in MD.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    DO NOT offer for sale from MD. You can go to the Gun Show in Chantilly and put a sign up and sell them.
    Now I wonder if offering for sale on Gunbroker is kosher if your post emanates from MD.
    I do not think so.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    DO NOT offer for sale from MD. You can go to the Gun Show in Chantilly and put a sign up and sell them.
    Now I wonder if offering for sale on Gunbroker is kosher if your post emanates from MD.
    I do not think so.

If you want to be extra special paranoid, drive over to the border and post them to gunbroker and then drive home. I suggest also shipping them from outside Marylandistan. The occasional rare time I've ordered mags that weren't Kosher for purchase in MD, I've done it while out of state and had them shipped out of state. Zero locus in Maryland. MD DA opinion says if you purchase them out of state, it is legal to bring them in. Just can't be bought, manufactured, offered for sale or transferred within the state.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    It doesn't appear that the MDS website is hosted in MD. One of my network tools tells me the server is in Ogden, UT.

Hmmm, could be a Froshy test case I guess. He loves wasting money in MD.

Where are you when you type up the ad? Where are you when you use your credit card number to pay for the purchase?

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I bought a house outside of Maryland just to buy and sell magazines. Separate SSN, name, credit card, wife and kids. It’s difficult having 2 separate lives but nothing beats a 12 round mag.

mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    This post from Ammo Jon should be in the running for best post of all time. Am still laughing. Separate SSN is a really nice touch..

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Two sets of wives/kids - AJ may be the toughest, boldest, baddest guy on MDS, or else . . . well . . . I think I'll just leave it there.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I bought a house outside of Maryland just to buy and sell magazines. Separate SSN, name, credit card, wife and kids. It’s difficult having 2 separate lives but nothing beats a 12 round mag.

Charles Kuralt did the exact same thing to get around those New York laws.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    If you want to be extra special paranoid, drive over to the border and post them to gunbroker and then drive home. I suggest also shipping them from outside Marylandistan. The occasional rare time I've ordered mags that weren't Kosher for purchase in MD, I've done it while out of state and had them shipped out of state. Zero locus in Maryland. MD DA opinion says if you purchase them out of state, it is legal to bring them in. Just can't be bought, manufactured, offered for sale or transferred within the state.
    Where do you receive the online payment for them? (Maryland)

I'd still be careful. Not worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom