• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I came across this article in the midst of doing online research on the “reasonableness standard of HOA amendments” (a whole other thread on a semi-rural HOA Board attempting to unilaterally prohibit essentially all firearms discharges and hunting).

Anyway, since Google has been found to trace and archive all our / my /your searches using Google I and everyone I know has switched to DUCKDUCKGO so, I guess the last word in my search terms is why this popped up ...

For some reason the photo reminds me of someone I can’t place from my post grad work at Hopkins and the article, well, the article just makes my skin crawl!

“The Second Amendment no longer reasonable”: https://www.thegardenisland.com/2019/08/11/opinion/the-second-amendment-no-longer-reasonable/

I wonder how long it’ll be before the paper pulls down the comments - The second and third comments are faith-restoring!

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    That was a tough read. Speaking of HOA rules, how about that stuff going right into a county's code? Here ya go. Not even a BB gun at paper targets, and if at varmints outside the city, not within 100 yards of a public road. Self-defense is excepted from this madness.

Howard County, MD Code of Ordinances

§ 8.400. Definitions
    Terms in this subtitle have the meanings indicated.

(a) Blank ammunition: Any ammunition composed of a casing and a primer contained as one unit, but not containing a projectile or projectiles. Blank ammunition also includes black powder, nonprimed antique.

(b) Department of Police: The Department of Police for Howard County.

(c) Electronic weapon: Any instrument, "stun-gun," "TASER," or any similar device by whatever name which is designed as a weapon, capable of, or designed to be capable of, temporarily incapacitating another by the discharge of electrical current through projectile or nonprojectile means.

(d)

(1) Facility means a building, structure, or camp designed for occupancy or use by human beings.

(2) Facility includes a dwelling, house, and residence.

(e) Fixed ammunition: Any ammunition composed of a projectile or projectiles, a casing and a primer, all of which shall be contained as one unit.

(f) Gun: Any firearm, rifle, shotgun, revolver, pistol, air gun, air rifle or any similar mechanism by whatever name known which is designed to expel a projectile through a barrel by the action of any explosive, gas, compressed air, spring, or elastic.

(g) Metropolitan District: The Howard County Metropolitan District as created and modified by the County Council pursuant to Howard County Code title 18, "Public Works," subtitle 1, "Public Utilities," and identified on official plats available for public inspection during reasonable office hours in the Department of Public Works.

(h) Public Safety Officer. An individual who:

(1) Is a sworn member of the Department of Police; or

(2) Is a sworn member of a law enforcement agency of a department, county, or municipal corporation of the State of Maryland, or similar agencies of other states or the United States, and who has authority within the individual's jurisdiction to possess and use an electronic weapon.

(i) Safety zone: means the area within a distance designated by section 8.403 of this subtitle from any facility where the discharge of firearms is prohibited by section 8.403 of this subtitle.
    (C.B. 33, 1976; C.B. 38, 1985; C.B. 7, 2007, § 1; C. B. 1, 2009, § 1)

§ 8.401. Discharge of guns—Prohibited

(a) A person shall not discharge any gun within the Metropolitan District, whether the gun is loaded with fixed or blank ammunition or projectiles of any kind.

(b) A person shall not discharge any gun outside the Metropolitan District, whether the gun is loaded with fixed or blank ammunition or projectiles of any kind, except at varmints on the ground.

(c) A person shall not discharge a gun from, onto, across, or within 100 yards of a public road.

(d) A person shall not, without the prior written consent of the property owner, discharge a gun on, from, onto, or across any public or private land.

(e) This section shall not apply to:

(1) The discharge of guns at any target, trap or skeet range or shooting area which has been inspected and received the written approval of the department of inspections, licenses and permits pursuant to section 8.406, "Authority to Inspect and Approve Ranges or Shooting Areas," of this subtitle; or to

(2) The discharge of guns by any person in a private basement or cellar target range; or to

(3) The discharge of guns where necessary to protect life or property, including crops or livestock, or to kill any dangerous threatening animal; or to

(4) Any duly authorized law enforcement officer acting in the proper performance of his/her official duties; or to

(5) The discharge of blank ammunition in theatrical performances, historical reenactments or sporting events; or to

(6) The firing of salutes by firing squads at military funerals; or to

(7) The discharge of guns by any person engaged in bona fide wildlife research activities.

(C.B. 33, 1976; C.B. 10, 1985; C.B. 17, 1995; C. B. 1, 2009, § 1)

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Quote:

The Second Amendment must be repealed because it is harming the citizens it swore to protect — the weak and defenseless.

If we subscribe to the fact that humans are vulnerable and subject to mistakes, logic dictates that changes must be made.

The second amendment exists to protect citizens from a government which is vulnerable and subject to mistakes, logic dictates that guns are necessary to ensure that citizens never find themselves weak and defenseless.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well since the Founding Fathers couldn't imagine our country being under attack from state sponsored radical Islam , which didn't start for 10yrs after the implementation of the Bill of Rights , we need to get rid of the outdated Freedom of Religion .

( Above stated with irony, to expose illogic )

tidalwave

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 29, 2019
    It looks like it bans bird hunting. I'm surprised at that given Howard County still has some fairly rural areas.

Everything else seems pretty standard for a county in the midst of development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom