MD CCW, is it legal to put pistol in car lock box to enter "gun free zone" store.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    <Capt. Obvious> This thread shows two fundamenetal problems with these laws:

1. Too much overlap between local, state, and federal.
    2. Too vague

</Capt. Obvious>

Requires more thought, but my current knee-jerk attitude is that there should be only federal laws since this is an enumerated right in COTUS. Most restrictive wins, so even if the feds start implementing laws more strict than states, the result is the same as if there are only federal laws.

Kidd07

Res Ipsa Loquitur
    Jul 3, 2019
    Southern Maryland
    Yes MD law does treat us differently. We are allowed to carry a loaded firearm in our car. MD Criminal Code 4-208 - Public Schools
    (b) A person may not carry or possess a firearm, knife, or deadly weapon of any kind on public school property

I note that the MD criminal code only applies to public schools. Is there a criminal statute that prohibits the possession of the same on private school property?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm not going to get into the legal debate. It's gone off the rails.

But on a technical level, I will say this. It is unwise to constantly unchamber, and rechamber a round in a semi automatic handgun if you plan on doing all kinds of arming/disarming gymnastics to out the gun into a lockbox. It can cause bullet setback and lead to extraction issues.

Doing these things also increases the chance of someone seeing you handling an unholstered handgun and reporting it to L.E., and the chances of the carrier having an accident increases.

If you plan to do all of these armin/disarming games, find a way to safely remove the holstered handgun. And store it that way.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    I asked a US Law Shield attorney that question last week. He said the weapon of a MD W&C permit holder must be on his/her person or within reach. Period. It cannot be left loaded in a car.
    If not on the person, it must be in "transport" configuration: unloaded and in a locked case, as far away from the driver as possible. Ammo must be in a separate container, and not colocated with the gun.
    Virginia law is different and seems to permit the gun to stay loaded and be locked in the vehicle.
    I am not a lawyer. To talk to a good one for free, join US LAW Shield at www.USLAWShield.com Costs about $10/mo. and they defend you in court, without charge, if you must use a weapon of any kind to defend yourself, and are arrested.

So I stand in the parking lot outside the Post Office, unload my firearm in public, place the firearm in the lockbox I keep in my trunk and dump the loose cartridges next to it. I carry a featherweight .38. Meanwhile Sally Suburban strokes out whilst pushing her Safeway cart past me

Maryland laws are stupid, unless you're a convicted felon with a long record. Then you're good to go in Baltimore.

SMH

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I'm not going to get into the legal debate. It's gone off the rails.

But on a technical level, I will say this. It is unwise to constantly unchamber, and rechamber a round in a semi automatic handgun if you plan on doing all kinds of arming/disarming gymnastics to out the gun into a lockbox. It can cause bullet setback and lead to extraction issues.

Doing these things also increases the chance of someone seeing you handling an unholstered handgun and reporting it to L.E., and the chances of the carrier having an accident increases.

If you plan to do all of these armin/disarming games, find a way to safely remove the holstered handgun. And store it that way.

Two good points Chad, sorry for the thread, I tried to delete it early on to no avail. Just too many ways to become a prohibited person w/ccw!

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    But if the store is not gun friendly it is illegal to leave the gun in your car, like I will tonight without a ccw. Seems more restrictive, any way I know what I’m doing. Thanks all.

If they know you have a gun you’re doing it all wrong. Abide by Federal and State law and carry deep. I carry my Glock 43, 7+1 and another 8 reload in my pocket, never been “made.” Get your CCW and the rest is easy.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    This is what I have my 43 in if I need to disarm before going into an establishment. Gun stays inside the holster, room for extra mags and cable lock keeps it secure to the vehicle and inaccessible.

Attachments

• 7F8CA926-3DE4-4DEB-9890-9EF7E11E712A.jpg
      7F8CA926-3DE4-4DEB-9890-9EF7E11E712A.jpg
      58.6 KB · Views: 381
    • EB0D0304-175C-40FE-A420-87B25874B958.jpg
      EB0D0304-175C-40FE-A420-87B25874B958.jpg
      44.7 KB · Views: 385

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    This is what I have my 43 in if I need to disarm before going into an establishment. Gun stays inside the holster, room for extra mags and cable lock keeps it secure to the vehicle and inaccessible.

Nice.. Thanks for advice. Good idea for IWB Houston with P320.:)

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I feel I must apologize for an improperly asked question. I was hoping for specific laws to be cited and even the US Law Shield attorneys do not know the answers in MD. Full disclosure: I visit the instructor of this class about 4 times a year and they had enough knowledge of/confidence in me to ask me to explain some laws to the entire class, I did great. And heck, I come here to ask specifics and some of you bums think I am worried about a damn candy bar! I've learned everything from y'all (bums) so a sincere Thanks actually!

From the off track answers I come to a theory: "Buying more fire extinguishers does not make one more susceptible to fires!"

Another full disclosure, having my own business and living alone I carry 75% of the day already ... everyday, most of my neighbors know my hobby of guns and approve, they are my references too, and some are ardent Dems.

Jon, that is one setup I have and would prefer in public, minus the laser. Thanks for being part of the 1.5 friends I have here on MDS :)

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I feel I must apologize for an improperly asked question. I was hoping for specific laws to be cited and even the US Law Shield attorneys do not know the answers in MD. Full disclosure: I visit the instructor of this class about 4 times a year and they had enough knowledge of/confidence in me to ask me to explain some laws to the entire class, I did great. And heck, I come here to ask specifics and some of you bums think I am worried about a damn candy bar! I've learned everything from y'all (bums) so a sincere Thanks actually!

From the off track answers I come to a theory: "Buying more fire extinguishers does not make one more susceptible to fires!"

Another full disclosure, having my own business and living alone I carry 75% of the day already ... everyday, most of my neighbors know my hobby of guns and approve, they are my references too, and some are ardent Dems.

Jon, that is one setup I have and would prefer in public, minus the laser. Thanks for being part of the 1.5 friends I have here on MDS :)

Streamlight TLR-6 light and laser.

GSXR750

Nov 28, 2012
    regarding school property, the dilemma for many that carry is these two scenarios. 1) dropping off a child from your car in line on school property, you are carrying on your way to work, you stop on property to get in line, car running, never exit the vehicle, yet technically breaking the law. 2) you are on your way somewhere, while carrying, get a call to pick up your child from school due to sickness, again, breaking the law because once you park and are on property, you have to manually touch the gun to store properly, etc. There are some major problems here.

Eric114

Nov 8, 2017
    Halethorpe MD
    I believe it would have to be unloaded with the ammunition stored in another part of the vehicle ie gun in case mag in glove box. It should be just like transporting it.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I believe it would have to be unloaded with the ammunition stored in another part of the vehicle ie gun in case mag in glove box. It should be just like transporting it.

Except in Maryland, the ammo does not have to be separate from the firearm, and magazines can be loaded, and in the same bag/case as the firearm.

GrantTheFox

Nov 10, 2017
    Armed Security CCW Question

Forgive me for not knowing how to create a new thread. My question is

I am an armed security officer in MD and I do a lot of plain clothes details, often times leaving the job site for many reasons but still on duty. One post just involved me being on call close within the vicinity of a home owner.

I know my restrictions are "To work, at work and from work to home" So that begged the question....

If I were stopped by MSP or a county cop, how would MSP/county know if I was truly working when carrying a firearm? Since I'm not wearing uniform, but I have my firearm on me, how would they know If I was truly on the job or not? Whats to stop an armed guard from carrying 24/7 and then saying they're
    "On duty" ?

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville

I am an armed security officer in MD and I do a lot of plain clothes details, often times leaving the job site for many reasons but still on duty. One post just involved me being on call close within the vicinity of a home owner.

I know my restrictions are "To work, at work and from work to home" So that begged the question....

If I were stopped by MSP or a county cop, how would MSP/county know if I was truly working when carrying a firearm? Since I'm not wearing uniform, but I have my firearm on me, how would they know If I was truly on the job or not? Whats to stop an armed guard from carrying 24/7 and then saying they're

"On duty" ?

I believe the officer would make the safe call and let attorneys decide later. Someone may chime in with a better answer soon.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

"On duty" ?

That would have been discussed in your class by the instructor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom