• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This already exists. The requirement was enshrined in administrative law when the USAF failed to report the nut case that shot up the Texas church before being put down.

Enforcement, however, is an ENTIRELY different story. :sad20:

Federal Government agencies, yes, the various states, nope, the administrative law still does not direct states to be 100% in compliance. Nor can the Fed direct the states to do so (Printz v US, 1997)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Federal Government agencies, yes, the various states, nope, the administrative law still does not direct states to be 100% in compliance. Nor can the Fed direct the states to do so (Printz v US, 1997)

Then citizens in their own states should get their state legislatures to pass something requiring their governmental agencies to report 100% to NICS.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Then citizens in their own states should get their state legislatures to pass something requiring their governmental agencies to report 100% to NICS.

And you would think that this would be a bill that all sides could get behind.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    And you would think that this would be a bill that all sides could get behind.

Yeah, one would think that both sides would be completely fine with this. I have no idea why states do not already report everything to NICS. There is a system in place already, and it can be made better IF states will report the required information. Instead, antis want gun control.

I say UBC, Shall Issue, and national reciprocity across the land in one fell swoop, and the antis and pros can meet with their state legislators to get 100% NICS compliance in place. Then, those that want to carry to protect themselves from events like El Paso, Dayton, Orlando, etc. can do so.

Would also propose a law making it quite clear that a property owner/tenant is liable for the safety of its patrons when the property owner/tenant put a gun free zone in place and patrons are killed or wounded from intentional gunfire. Want to make a place gun free, then you provide security to ensure the safety of the patrons.

Of course, I am dreaming.

MULE-JK

Stiff Member
    Sep 7, 2013
    Mt. Airy
    Yeah, one would think that both sides would be completely fine with this. I have no idea why states do not already report everything to NICS. There is a system in place already, and it can be made better IF states will report the required information. Instead, antis want gun control.

I say UBC, Shall Issue, and national reciprocity across the land in one fell swoop, and the antis and pros can meet with their state legislators to get 100% NICS compliance in place. Then, those that want to carry to protect themselves from events like El Paso, Dayton, Orlando, etc. can do so.

Would also propose a law making it quite clear that a property owner/tenant is liable for the safety of its patrons when the property owner/tenant put a gun free zone in place and patrons are killed or wounded from intentional gunfire. Want to make a place gun free, then you provide security to ensure the safety of the patrons.

No ones safety can be guaranteed. I'm no fan of gun free zones either. I'm also not a fan of a business owner being forced to serve patrons they choose not to. If someone owns a business and wants it to be gun free, so be it. Feel free to mosey on down to the gun friendly business and support them.

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    If you are new to this, it is understandable where you are coming from if you have not read up on the history of gun control. Most here don't see it as compromise because they have seen first hand the same groups of people come back year after year asking for more restrictions each time. That is not compromise; it is the deliberate strategy of incrementalism. That strategy is working towards an end goal that is sometimes revealed by the anti gun people such as in Peter Curran's paper that he called "A Farewell To Arms". Please read it as it describes deliberate incrementalism along with deliberate cultural shifting to get society to reject 2A rights. It is linked in a sticky thread on this website.

A good case study of this is Maryland's Montgomery County Delegate Kathleen Dumais. Year after year she introduces further firearms restrictions. Her rhetoric each time contains some form of "We are only asking for...." It is all recorded so you can fact check it if you want. At the federal level legislators like Diane Feinstein who said if she had the votes she would tell "Mr. and Mrs. America" to turn them all in. That is on video all over the internet.

These people calling for compromise come to the table with no genuine interest in stopping with what they are asking for at the moment. In their more genuine moments they openly state that they do have a strategy of incrementalism. Over the years gun owners have foolishly heeded the public shaming tactic of "being reasonable" and giving in to "compromise" and have been subject to increasing infringements with no compromise given in return. It is foolish to allow that smart people like Kathleen Dumais are not doing this intentionally.

Lastly, it is an enumerated, constitutional right. No compromise is needed for such a thing.

This post is everything - in a nutshell they’ll take some ground then come back for more when things heat up again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    I don't support mandatory training, I think that the evidence is that its unnecessary.

That said, the first thing that Congress did after the Bill of Rights was adopted was pass a bill in 1791 or 1792 (The Militia Acts).... attempting for force states to institute mandatory training for all able bodied males. So, mandatory training is perfectly consistent with the original scope of the 2nd Amendment. If you bet that a conservative Justice would strike mandatory training as unconstitutional, based on the scope, text, and history of the 2nd Amendment... you will very highly lose that bet.

It was mandatory training to be supplied for able body males, but not as a predecessor to bearing arms.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I think in those days it was primarily the menfolk who used the arms primarily for hunting and potting the occasional ruffian, Indian or Red Coat. Boys were taught to shoot when they were old enough to heft the family rifle, and were expected to partake in the above activities. The Militia, rather than being a "professional force," pretty much just showed up as they could when summoned. Organized drills were rare and the exception rather than the rule.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County

Govt unions would hate the NICS reporting bill as it could assign liability to employees for failure to notify.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Govt unions would hate the NICS reporting bill as it could assign liability to employees for failure to notify.

There is usually a statute that indemnifies government employees for acts that they do as part of their job. Usually, if they do something with malice or outside of their scope of work, they are personally liable. Otherwise, the government they work for usually indemnifies them.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Yeah, what Fabs said. Sovereign immunity. Only malice or criminal act can usually change that.

Partly why cops get away scot free on bad shoots where the city pays out millions and sometimes the officer doesn’t even lose their job. Couldn’t prove malice or a crime, so the officer can’t be sued directly.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Should be UBC, all background checks are exclusively the federal system, all states must report. This would cut out the MSP. Do away with waiting periods. In and out in 15 or so minutes, unless there is a hold. That is the only compromise I could stomach.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Should be UBC, all background checks are exclusively the federal system, all states must report. This would cut out the MSP. Do away with waiting periods. In and out in 15 or so minutes, unless there is a hold. That is the only compromise I could stomach.

I’d rather state police are an option for background checks if you’d prefer.

Some people don’t mind it being more on the books and $10 rather than $30-50 makes a difference to some folks.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I’d rather state police are an option for background checks if you’d prefer.

Some people don’t mind it being more on the books and $10 rather than $30-50 makes a difference to some folks.

NICS cost a buyer nothing, the MSP background check cost a buyer $10. If Maryland would send all of the information from all of the databases that MSP checks, to NICS, then MSP wouldn't have to charge anything either.

But, that requires the Circuit Court system to send all of their information to DPSC or turning their databases over to them to maintain. That requires DHMH to send their information to DPSC.

Why DPSC?

DPSC is the sole Maryland entity, certified by the FBI, that has access to enter and delete Maryland information from NICS.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    NICS cost a buyer nothing, the MSP background check cost a buyer $10. If Maryland would send all of the information from all of the databases that MSP checks, to NICS, then MSP wouldn't have to charge anything either.

But, that requires the Circuit Court system to send all of their information to DPSC or turning their databases over to them to maintain. That requires DHMH to send their information to DPSC.

Why DPSC?

DPSC is the sole Maryland entity, certified by the FBI, that has access to enter and delete Maryland information from NICS.

So, are they still not doing this? I though the electronic 77r was part of initiative to do this? HQLs and 77rs appear to be processing very fast now (you can see on your 77e when MDSP processes NICS check), so I thought the information MDSP needs was already centralized.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So, are they still not doing this? I though the electronic 77r was part of initiative to do this? HQLs and 77rs appear to be processing very fast now (you can see on your 77e when MDSP processes NICS check), so I thought the information MDSP needs was already centralized.

Bwahahahahahahahaha......Nope

The electronic 77R was simply to make it easier for MSP LD to do the paperwork in their house. It had absolutely nothing to do with centralizing the databases that MSP looks at. MSP does not control ANY database it looks at, or gets info from, and there are 17 of them.

In the case of the mental health queries, MSP still sends an e-mail to DHMH with a list of names and DHMH replie to the email with a yes ot no beside each name.

Circuit Court records are maintained by the Circuit Courts, MSP logs in and does a records search, in certain extreme cases, they have to follow up with a phone call to verify the records. They also have to call the Circuit Courts in the case of anyone under 30, to verify if there are any incidents as a minor.

Then you have the various County Courts that may or may not have their records in an electronic database that is remotely accessable.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Bwahahahahahahahaha......Nope

The electronic 77R was simply to make it easier for MSP LD to do the paperwork in their house. It had absolutely nothing to do with centralizing the databases that MSP looks at. MSP does not control ANY database it looks at, or gets info from, and there are 17 of them.

In the case of the mental health queries, MSP still sends an e-mail to DHMH with a list of names and DHMH replie to the email with a yes ot no beside each name.

Circuit Court records are maintained by the Circuit Courts, MSP logs in and does a records search, in certain extreme cases, they have to follow up with a phone call to verify the records. They also have to call the Circuit Courts in the case of anyone under 30, to verify if there are any incidents as a minor.

Then you have the various County Courts that may or may not have their records in an electronic database that is remotely accessable.

wait, isnt that basically the same search we can all do online???

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom