• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Which is the correct one for a Korean War era M1? And, does anyone know a good source for them? And a estimated price? Thanks.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The M5 bayonet was standardized about that time but I'm not sure exactly when...it could depend when the rifle was made as opposed to when the bayonet was officially adopted. Other than that the M1 10" bayonet would be standard and the longer 16" M1905 and M1942 (unofficial designation) would substitute standards. In practice whatever was available would most likely be used.

Availability and price can be all over the board...condition, contractor who made it, etc.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The M5A1 bayonet has the short blade and the tit that fits inside the gas plug...no ring that fits over the muzzle. The M1 bayonet has the 10" blade and many earlier M1905/M1942 bayonets were cut down to 10". The M14/M1 Carbine/M16 bayonets all have the same blade but different attachment designs.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    At some point the government cut the 10 inch blade to like 5-6 inches. Not sure if this was late Korea or early Vietnam.

The M5A1 bayonet has the short blade and the tit that fits inside the gas plug...no ring that fits over the muzzle. ...

The M5 bayonet was adopted in 1953, so it would be correct for a late, post Korea Garand. But it's not a cut down version of the 10", but a complete redesign, with a different mounting system, as TOMB mentioned.

The 16" M1905 bayonet fits the '03, the '03-A3, and the Garand.

The 10" M1905E1 was adopted in 1942. Many were made by cutting down the longer bayonets; later they were manufactured with the shorter blade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M5_bayonet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1905_bayonet

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I have to look when I get home. I have two short garand bayonets, in the wrapper with muzzle rings that I believe are cutdown.

I post a picture later this week.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    My great uncle was in the army at the end of the Korean War. He was only stateside. There is a picture we have of him while he was in the army holding a wwii Garand bayonet

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Photos of Dad in 1953 at Aberdeen proving Ground. Not sure if these help answer the question.

Attachments

• IMG_20190611_0001.jpg
      IMG_20190611_0001.jpg
      81.3 KB · Views: 205

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The M1 (10" blade, whether manufactured as that or chopped down) would be correct. I've never seen any reference of 16" M1905s lingering in service to the Korean War, but I guess that might be a possibility.

Those M1s with 5" blades are later conversions by the Korean military.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom