• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’ll be upfront, I have USED this blade. It has taken everything I’ve thrown at it and asked for more.

Question from an edged tool moron. What does one use this for. Are the neighbors coming up headless with alarming frequency?

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Question from an edged tool moron. What does one use this for. Are the neighbors coming up headless with alarming frequency?

I do nick the head a little with this. Circumcisions are definitely a high precision game but I’m getting better!

That Ek Chirra for me is a jack of all. Good in base camp for wood processing and gathering. Good in a hunt pack for splitting sternums and bone bisection. I use the hell out of it on large brush removal and heavy trimming in the yard. Dig, pry, split, chop. Think a hatchet with a bit of extended use, better ergos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    What's the best way to store them?

I force a patina on mine, oil, and store right in the sheath. I’ll take it out, use it, clean lightly then oil. Right back in the leather sheath. I don’t have any rust forming outside of some on the pommel. Mines a rough use tool so I don’t fret over that and keep it from pitting. Easy peasy!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I do nick the head a little with this. Circumcisions are definitely a high precision game but I’m getting better!

That Ek Chirra for me is a jack of all. Good in base camp for wood processing and gathering. Good in a hunt pack for splitting sternums and bone bisection. I use the hell out of it on large brush removal and heavy trimming in the yard. Dig, pry, split, chop. Think a hatchet with a bit of extended use, better ergos.

Huh. Never really thought about ever actually using one. Just my narrow point of view. Thanks for expanding it a bit. Maybe I need one.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Huh. Never really thought about ever actually using one. Just my narrow point of view. Thanks for expanding it a bit. Maybe I need one.

Absolutely! For me, I can’t really go about buying a tool in this price range that doesn’t have an absolute use. I really work it hard and it keeps asking for more. I don’t even worry about putting a razor edge on it anymore. Hell I sharpen it like an axe got out and get it! If I want razor sharp in a big knife, I’m more prone to grab my Boker or SpyderCo big fixed blades.

Dreago

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2009
    I force a patina on mine, oil, and store right in the sheath. I’ll take it out, use it, clean lightly then oil. Right back in the leather sheath. I don’t have any rust forming outside of some on the pommel. Mines a rough use tool so I don’t fret over that and keep it from pitting. Easy peasy!

Thank ye kindly!

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Oil

What oil do you use? I thought of getting that okl for katanas with the power stuff

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Lol

This is a feeler question -

Is anyone interested in a full tang, heavy duty grind Ek Chirra? I am thinking I’d like to trade it for a traditional hawk / hatchet. I’ll be upfront, I have USED this blade. It has taken everything I’ve thrown at it and asked for more.

64ecad1cf68ec13c424db971922b68f4.jpg

Should add that it is a 15” model. Would cost $192 before shipping for new. Metal and fit is perfect. She’s just been used the way it should. Left handed Western sheath, edge is dirty from use but not damaged. I would consider selling out right too at a much reducers price. I am after a Colonial style throwing Hawk.

Your Thomas Hawk sir….

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    What oil do you use? I thought of getting that okl for katanas with the power stuff

I had been using an old can of rem oil, but that just went empty the other day cleaning a gun. Really I’ll use any CLP on hand. I try to not over think things. I would probably be confident a true anti-rust would be excellent. I have or had (who knows where it is!) and anti-rust for a sword. Smelled like butterscotch when you sprayed it lol!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Short answer: Nearly everything.

Below is a picture of a nearly complete "Swiss Army" khukuri from about 200 years ago, if the seller is accurate in his dating (and he's pretty knowledgeable)

Attachments

• trousse-khukuri.jpg
      trousse-khukuri.jpg
      32.9 KB · Views: 213

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Short answer: Nearly everything.

Below is a picture of a nearly complete "Swiss Army" khukuri from about 200 years ago, if the seller is accurate in his dating (and he's pretty knowledgeable)

That is amazing.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Would it make any sense to nitride coat a knife blade? I'm just wondering what would protect it from rusting that doesn't involve oiling it. You would grind off the coating at the edge, but the rest of the coated area should be protected right?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Would it make any sense to nitride coat a knife blade? I'm just wondering what would protect it from rusting that doesn't involve oiling it. You would grind off the coating at the edge, but the rest of the coated area should be protected right?

I've got blades that are a couple hundred years old, in good condition. Oil them from time to time, be aware of storage conditions.

Leather sheaths, not so good. Old blades stored in their original leather- or cloth-covered wooden sheaths seem to do just fine.

Some modern steels, while having positive characteristics regarding hardness, edge retention and so on, more or less require nitride because the steel is unfortunately rust-prone. D2, CPM M4 and the like are usually coated.

Everything has its trade-offs.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg

Attachments

• oilyamerican.jpg
      oilyamerican.jpg
      36 KB · Views: 161

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts