• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I know this a lower priority after the mess this past weekend, but a week ago the MSP site said apps would be accepted starting 9/16. But I just checked it again this evening and now it says you can apply starting 10/1. Anyone know what the deal is? Are they trying to mess around with it to prevent a massive flood of apps? I intend to apply day one whenever that may be to see if they can meet the 30 day threshold.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I know this a lower priority after the mess this past weekend, but a week ago the MSP site said apps would be accepted starting 9/16. But I just checked it again this evening and now it says you can apply starting 10/1. Anyone know what the deal is? Are they trying to mess around with it to prevent a massive flood of apps?

Link and screen cap please...

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co

Attachments

• HQLpage (800x450).jpg
      HQLpage (800x450).jpg
      69.1 KB · Views: 665

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

They updated the site yesterday about the middle of the day. I accessed it at noon and it was working fine. Then, drove out to a client and tried to access it again. It was down. It came back around 1:30 and a bunch of links were all screwed up. Guessing the MSP website is going to be a work in progress for the next several weeks.

I'll be shocked if the MSP is able to accept HQL applications on October 1, 2013. Thought it was saying in the seminars that it "hoped" to have the HQL application process live by September 15th. Key word was "hoped".

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    So IF the online process works on October 1. And IF they process the apps in thirty days like they are supposed to. Doesn't that mean that for all intents and purposes, our right to purchase a handgun is delayed for a month?

A right delayed is a right denied, correct?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    So IF the online process works on October 1. And IF they process the apps in thirty days like they are supposed to. Doesn't that mean that for all intents and purposes, our right to purchase a handgun is delayed for a month?

Correct, and Heller clarified that handgun ownership is a right.

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover

I think it'd be awesome for our cause if everyone who could applied for an HQL on 1 Oct. If they can't meet that 30 day deadline and end up having crazy backlogs like they currently do, I can't see a court not throwing out the HQL requirement.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    The MSP stated in the 8/15 training seminar that it wouldn't be up for use until 10/1. They said instructors would be able to register for the training portion on 9/16 though.

mousetom78

BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2013
    Dena, Md
    The more Maryland screws up, it is better for us. This means they will have to release guns without HQL if they lose any more lawsuits HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Worse than a delay, it's a de facto ban on handgun sales for the vast majority of MD residents. I think we all expect the 30-day application processing regulation to be ignored, with nobody receiving an HQL in a timely manner.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The MSP website still says as of 2 AM 9/11/13 that you will be able to apply prior to Oct.1 in the FAQ section. I don't know how to capture a screen but this is a copy of the FAQ page see the first question.

Organization * Support Services Bureau * Licensing Division * Main Licensing Page * Licensing and Registration * Firearms * Handgun Qualification License * FAQs
    Frequently Asked Questions
    Minimize

Q. How do I apply for a Handgun Qualification License?

A. Prior to October 1, 2013, the application process will be automated on the Maryland State Police Licensing Division webpage.

Q. How will a firearms dealer know that I have a Handgun Qualification License?

A. The Maryland State Police will issue a Handgun Qualification License to present to the dealer.

Q. How do I register to instruct the Firearms Safety Training Course?

A. Prior to October 1, 2013, the registration process will be automated on the Maryland State Police Licensing Division webpage.

Q. How does a new resident register a regulated firearm?

A. Prior to October 1, 2013, the registration process will be automated on the Maryland State Police Licensing Division webpage.

Q. Are shotguns or rifles regulated firearms?

A. Although most shotguns and rifles are not regulated, some are, based on their characteristics. Specific questions regarding the registration can be emailed to msp.firearmsregistration@maryland.gov

Q: Will I be required to possess an HQL by October 1, 2013, if I submitted a 77R prior to October 1 and have not yet received approval to retrieve my firearm due to the MSP backlog?

A: The Maryland State Police is currently seeking advice regarding this answer. Once a response has been received, an MSP Licensing Division Advisory will be issued.

Mr H

Banana'd
    The MSP stated in the 8/15 training seminar that it wouldn't be up for use until 10/1. They said instructors would be able to register for the training portion on 9/16 though.

Nancy Jacobs' aide had informed me that there were conversations about people actually getting HQLs in-hand by 10/1

Considering this week's information, if that happens it'll be a favored few, and we should be on that as well.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Nancy Jacobs' aide had informed me that there were conversations about people actually getting HQLs in-hand by 10/1

Considering this week's information, if that happens it'll be a favored few, and we should be on that as well.

One of my delegates (the one who actually responded) assured me that MSP would take care of everything and it would all be ok. :rolleyes:

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    We all need to apply as soon as its available and flood the system and cause a delay, this will really help us make a case.

What case? That we are willing to subject ourselves to yet another form of tyranny? This is a tough situation... Interesting how this law juxtaposes gun purchasers against FFL's.

When they can't fulfill the requests, they will simply claim the backlog is in the interest of public safety, and thank you for your patience. They are counting on the slow wheels of justice with the courts. As soon as they have one law struck down, they have another waiting in the wings to push through. The proportion of time a law is in effect and granted a stay is worth the endless cycle. Plus, they may get lucky and have it upheld. So the odds are worth it in their minds.

I have oscillated over this since my first reading if SB281...should I or shouldn't I? it's a lose lose situation either way.

If we do apply, we are allowing the state to impose yet another restriction on our fundamental, God given right to self defense. The worst part is we are feeding the very beast money to further squander our money imposing further tyranny. And giving the gun grabbers another data point to say, see, they are complying...

If we don't apply, we are shut off from further purchases and will hurt the very industry that we need to support. But we send the message that we will not comply with their unconstitutional law and we stand up to tyranny by a loud silent message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom