• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Having never been there, where is this?

Come to the house office building, after you pass through security, go down the hall on your right with the silver displays in it (Yes, the solver is back folks) and go straight into the room(s) at the end of the hall.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    The liberal, anti-gun Democrats are divided on some issues, including certain mental health disqualifications, and the Simmons Amendment (imposing a firearms disqualification on people who have received Probation Before Judgment for certain crimes). As far as I could tell, however, no amendment actively opposed by the governor's staff was adopted in the House committee.

Nor any that would cause a break with the Senate.. but still the one that almost past has me baffled...

Will leave after work 18:00 and try to be there by 19:00

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    The liberal, anti-gun Democrats are divided on some issues, including certain mental health disqualifications, and the Simmons Amendment (imposing a firearms disqualification on people who have received Probation Before Judgment for certain crimes). As far as I could tell, however, no amendment actively opposed by the governor's staff was adopted in the House committee.

I thought you stated in another thread that the "grandfathering" of previously purchased "assault" weapons was added to the house bill?

bpSchoch

Jan 16, 2009
    Bethesda, MD
    Perhaps someone should remind them that the legislature is separate from the executive branch and no body in the legislature should be getting their marching orders from the governor.

See Maryland Constitution:

Art. 8. That the Legislative, Executive and Judicial powers of Government ought to be forever separate and distinct from each other; and no person exercising the functions of one of said Departments shall assume or discharge the duties of any other.

Also you can't take guns away (property) without 'due process of law'

Art. 24. That no man ought to be taken or imprisoned or disseized of his freehold, liberties or privileges, or outlawed, or exiled, or, in any manner, destroyed, or deprived of his life, liberty or property, but by the judgment of his peers, or by the Law of the land (amended by Chapter 681, Acts of 1977, ratified Nov. 7, 1978).

"Law of the land" is the common law.

Also perhaps remind them:

Art. 6. That all persons invested with the Legislative or Executive powers of Government are the Trustees of the Public, and, as such, accountable for their conduct: Wherefore, whenever the ends of Government are perverted, and public liberty manifestly endangered, and all other means of redress are ineffectual, the People may, and of right ought, to reform the old, or establish a new Government; the doctrine of non-resistance against arbitrary power and oppression is absurd, slavish and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

Perhaps a reminder of the Oath of Office:

SEC. 9. Every person elected, or appointed, to any office of profit or trust, under this Constitution, or under the Laws, made pursuant thereto, shall, before he enters upon the duties of such office, take and subscribe the following oath, or affirmation: I, _______________, do swear, (or affirm, as the case may be,) that I will support the Constitution of the United States; and that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to the State of Maryland, and support the Constitution and Laws thereof; and that I will, to the best of my skill and judgment, diligently and faithfully, without partiality or prejudice, execute the office of________________, according to the Constitution and Laws of this State, (and, if a Governor, Senator, Member of the House of Delegates, or Judge,) that I will not directly or indirectly, receive the profits or any part of the profits of any other office during the term of my acting as___________ (originally Article I, sec. 6, renumbered by Chapter 681, Acts of 1977, ratified Nov. 7, 1978).

And the liability they can incur for violating their oath of office:

SEC. 11. Every person, hereafter elected, or appointed, to office, in this State, who shall refuse, or neglect, to take the oath, or affirmation of office, provided for in the ninth section of this Article, shall be considered as having refused to accept the said office; and a new election, or appointment, shall be made, as in case of refusal to accept, or resignation of an office; and any person violating said oath, shall, on conviction thereof, in a Court of Law, in addition to the penalties now, or hereafter, to be imposed by Law, be thereafter incapable of holding any office of profit or trust in this State (originally Article I, sec. 7. Thus renumbered and amended by Chapter 681, Acts of 1977, ratified Nov. 7, 1978).

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    The House of Delegates is 6 Bladen Street, looking from the State House/Lawyer's mall, it's the first building on the right across College Avenue. Go through security about halfway down the building, into the lobby, turn right, and straight back. The overflow room is straight ahead.

Thank you!
    I'll be wearing a tan jacket and orange under armour polo.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    I thought you stated in another thread that the "grandfathering" of previously purchased "assault" weapons was added to the house bill?

I didn't say that it was "added." The "grandfathering" of "assault" weapons that are lawfully owned on October 1, 2013, has been part of every version of the bill, including the version first introduced at the governor's request. The main difference is that the Senate-passed bill requires registration of such previously owned firearms according to an elaborate schedule of deadlines, escalating fines, and backup criminal penalties. The House committee bill contains no such registration scheme (except for people who move into the state in the future, who must register all "regulated firearms" within 90 days). I saw no evidence at the Good Friday House committee markup that the governor's office was making any effort to restore the registration provisions. Scuttlebutt has it that realization set in that it would put an impossible burden on the Maryland State Police. But, there is no telling what will happen in the conference committee.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Heading up from Accokeek (;)) after work, hope to get there around 4:30-5. I'm rolling solo, will be wearing a black Beretta hat.

This is the "working me" image, before I have come into Annapolis in a suit, fresh haircut etc. lol. Hopefully I'll run into some people I recognize. How's the parking situation? Any advice on where to go that's cheap/free? I can walk but I'd prefer to get somewhere reasonably close.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Heading up from Accokeek (;)) after work, hope to get there around 4:30-5. I'm rolling solo, will be wearing a black Beretta hat.

This is the "working me" image, before I have come into Annapolis in a suit, fresh haircut etc. lol. Hopefully I'll run into some people I recognize. How's the parking situation? Any advice on where to go that's cheap/free? I can walk but I'd prefer to get somewhere reasonably close.

Parking is usually open on Calvert St. First right when you come into town after bridge. There 's a parking garage there also. I hear after 6 the meters don't run... Not sure. I have no doubt you will see the MDS folks. :).

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I didn't say that it was "added." The "grandfathering" of "assault" weapons that are lawfully owned on October 1, 2013, has been part of every version of the bill, including the version first introduced at the governor's request. The main difference is that the Senate-passed bill requires registration of such previously owned firearms according to an elaborate schedule of deadlines, escalating fines, and backup criminal penalties. The House committee bill contains no such registration scheme (except for people who move into the state in the future, who must register all "regulated firearms" within 90 days). I saw no evidence at the Good Friday House committee markup that the governor's office was making any effort to restore the registration provisions. Scuttlebutt has it that realization set in that it would put an impossible burden on the Maryland State Police. But, there is no telling what will happen in the conference committee.

The day the House version came out (3/28), I had a hallway conversation prior to publicrelease with Mike Miller, the head of the Senate and he said they were amended out - maybe a slip, but voila the House version came out 4 hrs later...

Sounds like they worked that out already and thus the House version has them gone. I am betting all of the changes are already vetted through both chambers to prevent a stalemate to passage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom