• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    These programs will be profitable eventually. That said, we are in the infancy stages of building these programs and there will be hick ups along the way.

There are thousands of dollars in start up costs that need to be recovered and we are trying to keep entry fees low in the beginning in an effort to attract new shooters and make up for the fact that we are not equipped to run a full 5 stage 3 gun event or 8 Course of Fire IDPA match. In addition, our main objective is to drive incremental range badge sales by attracting non badge holders to our facility. As such and in an effort to do this, badge holders will always be given a discount on their entry fees. This will be hard to measure, and the program probably won't get the credit for it that it deserves, but at the end of the day it does not matter as long as the AGC benefits.

So, no need to worry about these programs being good for the AGC. IMHO and that of many others, the Action Shooting program will be the best thing that has happened to the AGC in decades.

I can speak from my personal experience that it was the changes allowing steel shooting and beginning to host action shoots that convinced me to join. Thank you to all those who have fought to make these changes possible and for spending so much of your personal time to run events like those in this thread!

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    Another person here who votes with his dollars. I am a dedicated competitive shooter and travel around the country (and internationally) to shoot. I have not bothered with an AGC badge for the 5+ years I've lived in the area because there really was no value to me. The practice I need to do has been completely impossible at AGC - until now. I'm a card carrying member of 2 different AGC clubs, but not a range badge holder. I've been driving over to Elite in Manassas to practice, but hoping I can finally end my membership there.

I'm signed up for the 3 gun event and will probably be purchasing a range badge for 2020. I'm happy to loan out my shotgun as well to anyone on my squad (#3).

@MEGARMS - PM incoming. I might be able to help with getting a USPSA program started.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    @MEGARMS - PM incoming. I might be able to help with getting a USPSA program started.

This is excellent. We are looking for guys/gals who are experienced in the shooting sports to step up and take leadership roles within AGC Action Shooting. I only hope that when guys like you start to come and shoot with us that they are patient and understand that we are building something here. We have great foundation, but still have much growing to do. With the right crew in place, the learning curve wont be as steep and we can get on the road to greatness that much faster.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Last call to all AGC Range Badge holders (and anybody else for that matter). We have 4 open slots left for the IDPA match this Saturday and 5 for the 3 Gun match on Sunday. My guess is that they will fill up within the next day or two. You can always register after the fact and get on the waitlist. It never fails that 5% - 10% are no shows and the wait listers get to shoot if they show up.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I signed up for the 3 gun match in squad 3. Never shot 3 gun before, but it was a good excuse to buy a shiny new shotgun for it.

I am with others in that if there are regular action pistol matches on Sundays, I will absolutely be grabbing a range badge.

Anyone happen to know the max range of the action bays?

ETA: also, round count, stage plans, etc.? Rules say no bimetal jacket - assuming that is actually the case?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Five divisions are for scoring purposes only. All five shoot on the same squad together. Scores are compiled at the end based on what equipment you brought and an overall. The 2 gun guys normally always come out on top, because they don't shoot shotgun targets.

We operate under the Mid Atlantic Multi Gun Rules. Check it out here.

https://h9a5z8b6.stackpathcdn.com/w...8/10/Mid-Atlantic-Rules-version-2.23.2017.pdf
    These are kinda odd rules. Heavy Metal doesn't require a pump gun? No explicit two gun rules? I don't think 3GN divisions are the be-all end-all, but I dunno, I'd advocate moving to them if it's possible.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I signed up for the 3 gun match in squad 3. Never shot 3 gun before, but it was a good excuse to buy a shiny new shotgun for it.

I am with others in that if there are regular action pistol matches on Sundays, I will absolutely be grabbing a range badge.

Anyone happen to know the max range of the action bays?

ETA: also, round count, stage plans, etc.? Rules say no bimetal jacket - assuming that is actually the case?

Max Range - Approx 60 yards

Approx Round Count
    100 rifle
    100 pistol
    50 bird shot
    4 slugs

Bi Metal IS permitted

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    These are kinda odd rules. Heavy Metal doesn't require a pump gun? No explicit two gun rules? I don't think 3GN divisions are the be-all end-all, but I dunno, I'd advocate moving to them if it's possible.

These are the rules that most of clubs in this area are using. Not sure why Heavy Metal doesn't require the use of a pump. Are you shooting heavy metal on Sunday?

As for 2 gun, we only added that division to give those without a shotgun a chance to experience the event. The rules for that are this. Shoot all shotgun targets with your pistol, with the exception of any aerials. Are you shooting 2 gun on Sunday?

I do not see us moving away from the Mid Atlantic Multi Gun rules anytime in the near future. Look forward to seeing you on Sunday.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I would say that I might have been inclined to shoot Heavy Metal if it had been pump shotgun only and I could be more competitive in it. As it is, I'm shooting Tac Scope, and was almost funneled into Open because my shotguns didn't quite meet the qualifications for the Tac divisions and the 2-gun definition (Open? Tac?) was nowhere to be found. I'm sorry if that sounded like a huge critique, I'm just trying to explain why it was confusing to me as a new 3 gun shooter who has a reasonable amount of experience with USPSA and IDPA.

Thanks for the round count and distances. My stuff should be fine for that.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I would say that I might have been inclined to shoot Heavy Metal if it had been pump shotgun only and I could be more competitive in it. As it is, I'm shooting Tac Scope, and was almost funneled into Open because my shotguns didn't quite meet the qualifications for the Tac divisions and the 2-gun definition (Open? Tac?) was nowhere to be found. I'm sorry if that sounded like a huge critique, I'm just trying to explain why it was confusing to me as a new 3 gun shooter who has a reasonable amount of experience with USPSA and IDPA.

Thanks for the round count and distances. My stuff should be fine for that.

I apologize if I snapped back a bit and I know this is can be confusing, especially since it is hard for us to cover all of the bases (we are still learning). Please understand that most people on the sidelines have no idea what or how much goes into putting on these events. Everyone seems have an opinion and oftentimes an unqualified one, but very infrequently do those same folks step up and say I would like to get involved and help.

Everything we have done in setting up these matches is based on our experiences shooting and volunteering at other "club" 3 gun matches. We have seen what works well at this kind of match and what flat out sucks. This is not Peacemaker or any of the places that you see on the outdoor channel. Keep in mind that we expect 20%-25% of the shooters to be 3 gun virgins and another 20%-25% to be experienced veterans. The rest of us all fall right in the middle. Most of the 1st timers won't have the appropriate belt, magazine pouches, shotgun shell caddies, etc. This is totally fine because we want new shooters to come out and try 3 gun in a laid back environment where there are no prize tables and/or stress. All of that other stuff will follow once the hook is set firmly in their mouth.

All of that said, don't worry about being competitive at your first 3 gun match. In fact, we only have one Heavy Metal shooter registered so far. If you would really like to shoot in that division, then the worst you would finish is second place. As for two gun, there are only 4.

Again, thank you for the feedback about registration and I will see what we can do to clear up the confusion for before he next match.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    No worries, man, and I absolutely appreciate the effort you and others are putting in. See you Sunday!

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Nice to have some of our members from Rockville/Silver Spring up our way. Have a great time.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    MEGARMS, I signed up a couple days ago, for the very reasons you stated, it’s not competitive. I just like to come out and run through the paces with all three guns. I don’t see where I’m squadded yet, but it would be nice to be with another mdshooter, (assuming you have that power).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    MEGARMS, I signed up a couple days ago, for the very reasons you stated, it’s not competitive. I just like to come out and run through the paces with all three guns. I don’t see where I’m squadded yet, but it would be nice to be with another mdshooter, (assuming you have that power).
    I'm in squad 3, with some of the Givati guys. Feel free to join me.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I didn’t realize I was able to squad myself, but the way you phrased it gave it away. Now you’ll have one person shooting worse than you :lol2:
    Yeah, Practiscore does a particularly meh job with notifying on that, for whatever reason. What equipment division are you going to be in?

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    Great match today! Thanks to the whole Action Shooting team and all the RO's who worked very hard in the 94 degree heat to kick off what I'm sure will be a fantastic practical shooting program at AGC.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yes, absolutely excellent match, and kudos to the MD and RSOs who made it function so smoothly. Got the results up pretty fast, too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom