• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    My father in law has a LARGE collection. To be honest, he does not remember the origins of most of the weapons except for a few that has sentimental attachment. He been collecting for 50 years, some he got back during the time when cash in hand sales was common. He got a nice Beretta M1935 .32ACP that I want as my home defense handgun. He want to give it to me, heck he said I can take anything I want since its all going to me or my son once he's gone anyway. Problem is he does not remember when/where/who/how he got it or if its even registered, the man has safes full of weapons that never been fired in years.

Are father-in-law covered under the gifts from family member law? Do I need to contact an FFL to take posession of it and register it? Should I risk it when i'm unclear of the origin of the weapon?

I been meaning to go get the HQL anyway since I got to this state. Maybe I should just get a main handgun myself from a show or store, so I know 100% that i'm all clear if something did happened and I'm required to use it to defend my family.

Suggestions or facts that I should be aware of?

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I am getting ready to pass along a couple handguns to my son-in-law also. He already has his HQL. I am under the impression we need to take to police barracks and initiate a transfer there, but I could be wrong. We haven't gotten that far yet.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Thats awesome that he wants to give it to you but even after you go through the process to make sure you acquire it legally its probably not a great choice for a home defense gun.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I don't know if "in-laws" are considered family members by Md. In regards to gifting a handgun. If so you can do this at a Md State Police barracks and there is no transfer fee involved. BTW both of you have to live in Md. for this to be done. If your FIL lives out of state the transfer has to go through an FFL.

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    Thats awesome that he wants to give it to you but even after you go through the process to make sure you acquire it legally its probably not a great choice for a home defense gun.

Haha, I'll be honest, it was a decision of the heart because I enjoyed shooting it at the range. I can open a can of worms by asking what is the best home defense weapon on a forum like this! Someone PM me saying I should save myself the trouble and ask for a shotgun or a rifle (he's old school, never touched an AR in his life, dont think I want to practice clearing rooms in my house with a Remington700).

Ahh....the daughter....dang wish I thought of that!!!!

He is MD resident, I became one a few months ago. So I guess stopping by the MSP station anyway, might as well go get the HQL since I dont have to take the class since I'm former military.

Ok thank you. I think i'll just get the HQL and find a Glock 9mm somewhere myself. Its not sexy but got to separate needs versus fun.

Thanks again!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I wouldn't worry about the old handguns not being "registered". That's still a relatively new law in MD. Mid-1990s if I remember correctly. Someone will provide a year with greater precision. This "registration" of ownership was only during a transfer to a MD resident when the State Police recorded who got which handgun (and serial number) after approving ("not disapproving") the 77R application. If someone already owned handguns prior to the law being passed, these handguns did not need to be registered per se.

So as long as he's not transferring to you an FN FiveSeven that he claims that he got over 20 years ago, you should be fine with the old handguns that he might want to pass to you from his collection. Go to a MD Police barracks with him. Leave the unloaded handgun in a enclosed container (I use a zippable triangular handgun case or the box the handgun came in) in the trunk of the car. Go inside and ask how to do the transfer, and they will help you. At some point the officer will walk with you out to the car. Open the trunk for him, and point out the case, but let him/her handle the gun on their own to do the inspection. After the paperwork is done and the fee is paid there, you'll hear back via email after 7 days that you can go pick up the firearm from your father-in-law.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But this M1935 is C&R , HQL not required .

Fidelity typing at the same time :.

1966 - 7 Day cooling off & background from Dealers.
    1996 - End of private sales

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Bad advice, IMO. Just what the lurking antis want us to say. Do it the right way.

Lol bc that's really going to matter. The right way got us where we are.

Nothing will change until gun owners stand up and March like the people in Hong Kong. Civil disobedience

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Nothing will change until gun owners stand up and March like the people in Hong Kong. Civil disobedience

Those people represent the majority of the residents of Hong Kong. The majority of Maryland's residents want MORE restrictions on us gun owners, not less. The people in Hong Kong are looking to preserve the liberties they currently have. Maryland's population - by very large margins - has voted to hand its government and its body of law over to the anti-liberty world view. That horse has left the barn. Marching in the streets of Maryland in the name of looser gun laws is not going to make the majority of its residents suddenly change their entire perspective on this. The fight is now in the courts. If you want to march, save it for when the left starts trying to burn the place down to prevent Trump's next SCOTUS nominee.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    There is no requirement for his hand guns to be "registered" unless he moved to Maryland after Oct. 1, 2013.

Except for new residents since that date, Maryland only keeps a record of transfers, that is a change in ownership. It's a fine point, but basically they keep a database of the Form 77rs: the sale or transfer paperwork. If you sell that gun to someone else, it will be "registered" to both of you. If he sells it, it will be "registered" to three different people.

"Registered" does not mean "legal." "Unregistered" does not mean "illegal." Before I think 1966, no paperwork at all was needed. All handguns were "unregistered." Until 1996, handguns could be sold privately with no paperwork. Until 2013 people could move here and bring handguns from other states, no requirement to "register" them.

There was never a requirement to "register" handguns already possessed, such as private sale guns already owned when the law changed in '96.

The point is, I'll bet many of his handguns are not "registered", but there is no requirement that they be. He is not required to "register" them. They are legal.

The misconceptions about "registration" are sort of my pet peeve, so forgive me.

Any gun more than 50 years old is a "Curio and Relic" (C&R). C&R handguns can be transferred without the HQL. If he gives you the Beretta, you do the paperwork at a FFL Dealer or a State Police Barracks. There will be no question of it being "registered" to him. That is a total non-issue. But afterwards, it will be "registered" to you. And if you sell it to me, it will be "registered" to both of us, for all eternity.

But get something better than a .32 for defense. Get something modern and expendable, like a .357 revolver or a 9mm Glock.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    Lol bc that's really going to matter. The right way got us where we are.

You go right ahead and do "off the record" illegal stuff all you want. Best of luck to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom