• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hutchinsonkw

Dec 18, 2012
    Central Md
    I know some of you like to garden so I thought I would pass this along.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8399499-san...7-socket-3-bands-12-99-ac-sss-eligible-amazon

Not affiliated with the company or Amazon. Just stumbled across it. You can use the coupon code on one light to make it 12.99. I used my wife's Amazon account to order a second. If you try two lights in one order the second is full price.

The traditional grow light bulb I bought from Home Depot last year would get very hot. Which made me somewhat nervous since it was in the bay window with curtains. Hopefully this will remedy that plus it should use less electricity.

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    Not to be rude but most plant bulbs like that are complete garbage for anything beyond starting seeds. They simply don't have the correct spectral mix and are too low output. If you put ten or more of them together maybe you'd get something, but it's not the direction I'd go.

I've used a 4 bulb T5HO 4' fixture to start tomatoes, a couple types of peppers, and cucumbers at my parents and it worked fairly well but could not have taken them past the first few weeks. I'm in an apartment now so no yard and not much space inside. But if I wanted to grow plants to fruiting indoors I'd get a second T5HO fixture and angle them together to try and get more even coverage.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    ^What terp91 said.

I start plant seeds with natural window light, or under some cheap fuller spectrum fluorescents that double as shop lights. After that, they go outdoors where they can thrive.

There is no substitute for the sun that doesn't eat up crazy amounts of electricity.

MocoJed

Nov 16, 2015
    Loco Moco
    Colorado approves of your post.

And if you play naughty, soon here in MD, even if you are busted, you will at least get up to $300 of confiscated money returned! After all, it takes capital to get a business going again after a temporary shut down!

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    There is no substitute for the sun that doesn't eat up crazy amounts of electricity.

This x1000. Here's a study explaining why traditional lighting methods produce do as well as sunlight. I am interested to see how plasma lighting develops over the next decade or two though. Using LEDs for horticultural use seems neat except fro the issue of getting spectral output to match without spending tons of money. Here's a study about using LEDs.

Last edited:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    So since the op was poo pooed I don't mind doins a major thread Jack. Vick mackerel needs a new aquatic plant. We had a wiffle ball bat injury and the plant ain't recouping it's aquatic foliage like I wanted it to. I need roots and a decent sized leaf for a fish hammock. Any suggestions?!? Or what kind do I have in the pic should I just get another one? Plant gets sunlight but it's not in direct sunlight. Looking for basically low light aquatic house plant. Can provide additional pics later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      97.6 KB · Views: 135

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    So since the op was poo pooed I don't mind doins a major thread Jack. Vick mackerel needs a new aquatic plant. We had a wiffle ball bat injury and the plant ain't recouping it's aquatic foliage like I wanted it to. I need roots and a decent sized leaf for a fish hammock. Any suggestions?!? Or what kind do I have in the pic should I just get another one? Plant gets sunlight but it's not in direct sunlight. Looking for basically low light aquatic house plant. Can provide additional pics later.

E-mail me and we'll take care of you. I can give you a cutting of the same plant or talk you through getting other plants.

Jcalderwood07 "at" gmail "dot" com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom