• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Magpul markets the covers as dust covers. The feedlip pressure thing is something Magpul advertised in the past and has since admitted they never should have used in their marketing, as its not necessary.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    There is such a thing as bad advice. The advise you gave in regards to magazines is bad advice.

No quality magazine (pmags are quality magazines) will take a set that is not designed into the specs of the spring.

Keeping quality magazines loaded does nothing bad.

How is rotating your loaded mags bad advice? Why would you want to keep a mag loaded for 15 years? Why not rotate them in and out of service?

That is assuming you have enough mags to rotate.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    How is rotating your loaded mags bad advice? Why would you want to keep a mag loaded for 15 years? Why not rotate them in and out of service?

I think the OP wanted to know if the mags were safe/effective. Anyone who wants to take precautionary measures like rotating mags should do so, even if there is no scientific evidence that such measures provide benefit beyond peace of mind to the operator. Peace of mind is reason enough.

It's the same advice I give people who like to overpay taxes and get a big refund even though it's a free loan to Uncle Sam. Not what I do but if it helps you sleep better then go for it!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Its pointless to rotate something thats not being used unless its carried and exposed to contaminents and fouling.

Loading, unloading, and heat wear magazines, not static storage.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Thank you all for the input.

My main concern was the life span of these older mags with constant use. Since I have not used these '08-'10 manufactured mags for prolong periods of time, I have no data point to reference in regards to long term durability. I know they won't weaken if not in use.

Clandestine, thank you for the tips to test them. I'll be sure to do that as these old mags are rotated into service.

Zoostation, thank you for the info on the colored mags. I never thought the color pellets could weaken the polymer. Fortunately most of my older mags are black.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Rotating mags is worse for the mag than leaving it loaded.

Compressing and releasing the spring is what causes it to have problems, NOT leaving it compressed.

Do you rotate your buffer springs in AR? Mainsprings/Striker springs in pistols?

How about on your car? Do you rotate the springs?

If it makes you feel good, do it. But like cleaning every time you shoot, you are causing more harm that good.

And the reason the mags stayed loaded for 15 years is, I did not go shooting in that 15 years or so, and my HD 1911 was loaded the whole time. And the mags may have been loaded longer, as I typically just drop the HD mags out and leave them at home. I have PLENTY of mags.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Compressing and releasing the spring is what causes it to have problems, NOT leaving it compressed.

Do you rotate your buffer springs in AR? Mainsprings/Striker springs in pistols?

If it makes you feel good, do it. But like cleaning every time you shoot, you are causing more harm that good.

And the reason the mags stayed loaded for 15 years is, I did not go shooting in that 15 years or so, and my HD 1911 was loaded the whole time. And the mags may have been loaded longer, as I typically just drop the HD mags out and leave them at home. I have PLENTY of mags.

What are you talking about? Your comparisons are childish and egotistical. You can have your opinion, but don't think that yours is the only correct answer. I know many that agree with me.

I can't imagine it taking 15 years to get back into shooting. That must have been tough. Even guns that I haven't shot in a year or so, I break them down and clean them on a regular basis, which includes taking the mags apart and cleaning them too.

But to each his own.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yep, that was my point. As with any mag. I don't like to keep them loaded for extended periods.

From what experience do you speak that it is a bad thing? Or is it just your "thing"?

How does one know a mag that had been loaded for a long time, then used and malfunctions, wasn't just a bad mag from the start?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

BTW, there are some that say the buffer spring should be replaced every 3k rounds. However I've found that mine are within spec at 3k, so I replace mine at 5k. How about you?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    From what experience do you speak that it is a bad thing? Or is it just your "thing"?

How does one know a mag that had been loaded for a long time, then used and malfunctions, wasn't just a bad mag from the start?

As with any discussion, you will find folks will disagree about most anything. There are those of us that believe that any spring compressed over a period of time will lose some of it's strength.

Look at an older car. Some will have a sag to the rear. That's not because the shocks are bad, it's because the springs have lost some of their strength.

Same difference when speaking about any spring compressed all of the time. Mags may be able to function but there will be some degradation in the steel used to make that spring.

The buffer spring in an AR may continue to work past a number of rounds fired through the rifle, but many will tell you to replace that spring after 3k rounds. I change mine at 5k or if they measure less than optimal.

You can have a differing opinion than mine, that's okay. But there is a difference in operational and degraded.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    BTW, there are some that say the buffer spring should be replaced every 3k rounds. However I've found that mine are within spec at 3k, so I replace mine at 5k. How about you?

3K is a safe bet, but improved springs last half a million cycles.

Were not talking about rebuilding mags which would include replacing the spring. Were talking about mags that are loaded or stored loaded. It wears nothing.

As with any discussion, you will find folks will disagree about most anything. There are those of us that believe that any spring compressed over a period of time will lose some of it's strength.

Look at an older car. Some will have a sag to the rear. That's not because the shocks are bad, it's because the springs have lost some of their strength.

Same difference when speaking about any spring compressed all of the time. Mags may be able to function but there will be some degradation in the steel used to make that spring.

Gun springs are designed to take a set and will shorten but its part of the design.

Good springs take a set but dont go bad from load compression. They go bad from cycling.and heat. Corrosion too.

Rotating mags is superstition at best. Just like cleaning a gun after each time its shot. its silly unless the ammo is corrosive of the gun exposed to harsh elements

The buffer spring in an AR may continue to work past a number of rounds fired through the rifle, but many will tell you to replace that spring after 3k rounds. I change mine at 5k or if they measure less than optimal.

You can have a differing opinion than mine, that's okay. But there is a difference in operational and degraded.

Last edited:

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs

I was thinking this same thought and recall clandestine suggesting numbering the mags. That's a good idea for several reasons. :thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    3K rounds means the buffer spring was cycled more than 3K times.

But a buffer spring in a rifle not shot if fine.

Old cars spring sag because they have been cycled. Look at the mileage. An old low mileage car does not sag. A fairly new, high mileage car does.

If you like cycling your mags, go for it, but so far, have you noticed, you are the ONLY ONE on this thread that thinks this is a good idea? That EVERY other opinion (including that of professional gun totter and a gunsmith) is that you are doing more harm than good.

Oh, and BTW, I am an engineer with course work in materials sciences.

Same thing with cleaning. That came from black powder and corrosive primer days. And by the military, who will gladly change out worn parts at no cost to the shooter.

I clean my firearms every 10 years or so, whether they need it or not. I DO wipe down the exterior after every time I handle them And this includes competition guns that shot thousands of rounds per year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom