• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    My muddled mind seems to recall that the last session of th MGA passed legislation calling for school safety assessments for all schools. I can't seem to find anything on it. Can any of the sharper minds help me out?

Secondarily, wasn't there legislation specifically prohibiting teachers and school staffs from possessing firearms on school property for purposes of self defense?

Thanks again for your illuminating feedback!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    HB-367 was the teacher bill. Made it out of the House, never made it out of committee in the Senate.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Could it have been this?
    https://conduitstreet.mdcounties.or...e-to-learn-act-of-2018-what-you-need-to-know/

In Harford, all employees were supposed to have received state mandated active shooter training (there was some acronym that I can't remember at the moment) over the summer, and a less hands on version is supposed to be given to the students sometime this year.

I remember running into one of the Deputies I know (who is maybe not necessarily an official resource officer, but works with the schools a lot) a year or two ago who was doing an assessment of the building and grounds, but it was more of a cataloging of the number of exterior doors, parking spaces, etc. I bet it was the groundwork for something bigger like the link...or whatever you were thinking of if that was something different.

That's probably just enough information to be completely not helpful :o But that's what I got :shrug:

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    ALICE is the training, I believe.

My wife tried to hide behind an overhead projector screen, mounted only 6" off the wall. She's far more than 6" thick and was quickly discovered.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Wasn’t there some school district where the officials condemned active schooler drills saying “it traumatized the students”. What about fire drills? I remember when I was a kid in the 60’s and we had “duck and cover” drills.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    Could it have been this?
    https://conduitstreet.mdcounties.or...e-to-learn-act-of-2018-what-you-need-to-know/

In Harford, all employees were supposed to have received state mandated active shooter training (there was some acronym that I can't remember at the moment) over the summer, and a less hands on version is supposed to be given to the students sometime this year.

I remember running into one of the Deputies I know (who is maybe not necessarily an official resource officer, but works with the schools a lot) a year or two ago who was doing an assessment of the building and grounds, but it was more of a cataloging of the number of exterior doors, parking spaces, etc. I bet it was the groundwork for something bigger like the link...or whatever you were thinking of if that was something different.

That's probably just enough information to be completely not helpful :o But that's what I got :shrug:
    That's what I was searching for. You nailed it. Thanks!!

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Wasn’t there some school district where the officials condemned active schooler drills saying “it traumatized the students”. What about fire drills? I remember when I was a kid in the 60’s and we had “duck and cover” drills.

This training was conducted before students reported for classes, staff and teachers only.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    ALICE is the training, I believe.

My wife tried to hide behind an overhead projector screen, mounted only 6" off the wall. She's far more than 6" thick and was quickly discovered.

I just stumbled upon a reference to it. For the record, it's ACRT (pronounced like the word "assert") Active Assailant Critical Response Training." I don't know what the deal is with the extra (or missing, depending on your outlook) "A," but that's what they call it :shrug:

That's what I was searching for. You nailed it. Thanks!!

How's that for luck? Well, like they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day.:D

Read: Place your head between your legs, and kiss your disarmed a$$es goodbye.

That was definitely the old "duck and cover." Now it's, "Run. Hide. Fight." Overall, the training was very eye opening. I managed to survive all four of the Nerf shooter scenarios. Had we been allowed to go hands-on against the shooter, I'm confident I could have ended him sooner...but a lot of that had to do with luck of positioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom