• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Read through a bunch of pages and couldn’t find what I was looking for. Living in Maryland does the FFL-03 take place of the hql when purchasing c&r handguns? I’m considering applying for my C&R license but and holding off on the HQL.

Also, when the sheriffs office is your local law enforcement, would that make the sheriff himself the CLEO? Stupid question probably but my other option would be state police.

its already stated by the recent replies that you do not need HQL nor FFL03 to purchase C&R handgun in md. Just make sure you check the C&R check box.

Buried in this thread was my post here
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3285579&postcount=583

Dalebert

Apr 15, 2020
    Baltimore County
    Novus forgot one catch: You have to find out who the CLEO for your community is. Not always easy to find!

First thing to do after you got your C&R license - cut up all your credit cards ...
    Additionally make sure your better half cannot tell the difference between gun types and do not let her see all of them together so she can count.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Absolutely don't let her see all of them together at one time.

After a recent purchase I had a friend (interested but not really) over and pulled out several and lined them up on my desk to play "which of these have you not seen before", while humming "one of these things is not like the others" from Sesame Street -- good times!

Dalebert

Apr 15, 2020
    Baltimore County
    There are earlier comments about ordering paperwork and trying to receive multiple copies etc., but when I just went to the link provided in the original post I was able to just download the paperwork which seems much easier because I don't have to wait for it to arrive to fill it out and I don't have to do it in my own handwriting (except for the signatures). Is there some disadvantage to doing it this way that I'm missing?

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    looked at the original post , trying to get the forms . i don't see the 5310.16 form listed on the atf website ? what am i doing wrong ? thanks , dan

quattroginger

Feb 22, 2013
    searching this thread and others come up with some different answers. I reached out to Charles County Sherriff's Office to find out who my CLEO is and was told that CLEO's are only assigned to neighborhoods and rotate between several personnel. I don't live in a neighborhood. She said I may need to send to MSP. Anyone else in Charles know where I need to mail this renewal copy? thanks

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    searching this thread and others come up with some different answers. I reached out to Charles County Sherriff's Office to find out who my CLEO is and was told that CLEO's are only assigned to neighborhoods and rotate between several personnel. I don't live in a neighborhood. She said I may need to send to MSP. Anyone else in Charles know where I need to mail this renewal copy? thanks

The Charles County Sherriff has jurisdiction over the whole county.

Mail a copy to the Sherriff, and be done with it. :thumbsup:

namelessname120

Jul 6, 2011
    New to this and I need a little help with the application. Maybe I'm reading into this too much but what does question #12 mean / ask for if i'm a collector and not a FFL Dealer? - "12. Hours of Operation and/or Availability of Business/Activity (please provide at least one hour in which you can be contacted by ATF personnel)"

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    New to this and I need a little help with the application. Maybe I'm reading into this too much but what does question #12 mean / ask for if i'm a collector and not a FFL Dealer? - "12. Hours of Operation and/or Availability of Business/Activity (please provide at least one hour in which you can be contacted by ATF personnel)"
    Its just as it reads. Since you are not a business, just provide any window of time during the day that you would be available if they wish to contact you.

viiper

Re-Member
    Dec 3, 2008
    Carroll County
    coinboy, hats off to you for putting this together - if you still read posts here - thank you. Came across this, and I think I will take the plunge here for expanding the hobby and collecting. This looks like an excellent resource.

Jul 1, 2012
    It's a "fillable form" format so you can also download first and fill out if you have the Adobe reader thingy.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Or, you can be a dummy like me and print out two (blank) copies before you realize that you can fill it out electronically :facepalm:

I guess I'm just going to write very carefully :o

When I mail the CLEO copy, do I just send it to the Sheriff, and they figure out what to do with it? I found the HQ address online, but no reference to a specific department to handle this. Should I put FFL03 as an address line or anything or just send it?

Jul 1, 2012
    just address the envelope to the sheriff w/o anything else. they'll do whatever it is they do with it and you've fulfilled your obligation.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Ok, another maybe dumb question :tap: I've been successfully filling out the form electronically, but when I got to the CLEO copy, I couldn't type in any of the fields (I thought/hoped it would have populated itself from what I input on the first half, but it didn't). I can check and uncheck the boxes, but I cannot "open" any of the fields where I need to type something. Is there some trick I'm missing, or technology problems on my end?

I guess, since I already printed a blank copy anyway :o, I could handwrite the CLEO part...but it would be easier to read if I didn't.

And, I'm assuming I am the "Responsible Person," correct?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Ok, another maybe dumb question :tap: I've been successfully filling out the form electronically, but when I got to the CLEO copy, I couldn't type in any of the fields (I thought/hoped it would have populated itself from what I input on the first half, but it didn't). I can check and uncheck the boxes, but I cannot "open" any of the fields where I need to type something. Is there some trick I'm missing, or technology problems on my end?

I guess, since I already printed a blank copy anyway :o, I could handwrite the CLEO part...but it would be easier to read if I didn't.

And, I'm assuming I am the "Responsible Person," correct?

Not sure of current pdf, but when I did it, those fields auto-populated with same data as the main form.

Did you try to print the entire form after filling out the first part? Could be that on printing, the CLEO gets auto-populated.

The credit card info did not get populated in the CLEO part, so someone put some thought into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom