• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Blackthorne, I am thinking of doing that shoot also, maybe see you there.

Good! One guy is coming from Illinois.... and another from Connecticut. Planning on shooting and lunch afterwards on Kent Island somewhere. Let me know once you're sure. Hopefully we'll do a followup at Schraders the next day.

Last edited:

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    There are tons of lenses out there for different purposes. Red lenses help pick up white golf balls on green grass. I used to work as an optician and I manufactured eyeglasses for a couple of years, it is very interesting stuff.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Thanks, Circle Shooter,
    I have a set of Simmons with interchangeable lenses, but never really experimented beyond dark or yellow on the trap range.

Maybe that is the reason I cannot shoot a 50. +1 excuse in my arsenal.:thumbsup:

At this point I will try anything for a 50.;)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Wealth of knowledge to be found here on MDS.

I'll have to look into them, I've been meaning to exercise that 870 Wingmaster 16ga.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Thanks, Circle Shooter,
    I have a set of Simmons with interchangeable lenses, but never really experimented beyond dark or yellow on the trap range.

Maybe that is the reason I cannot shoot a 50. +1 excuse in my arsenal.:thumbsup:

At this point I will try anything for a 50.;)

The trick to shooting 50 straight is not to think about it. I make myself think "next shot next" and for a pair "first shot first." Your score is irrelevant. Concentrate on the next shot. Once I started doing that I started getting 25's more consistently. Then before you know it you got 50. Ive gotten 74/75 but haven't hit it...yet. But if you concentrate on the next shot only pretty soon you got it.

risk

Dec 7, 2011
    Bookmarking for lens colors as I just ordered my ranger xlw and prescription inserts.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have used Randolph Ranger frames for many years.

I have Yellow, Brown, and Target Purple lenses in prescription.

Yellow is for indoors or dusk or seriously overcast days. Brown for bright days. Both are NOT for shotgun/clays use.

Target purple for clays. But I shot Sporting Clays, where not all targets were orange. We had all black, white, green, yellow, and orange. The Target Purple was good for all around use.

I get mine from Morgan Optical. The senior Morgan was a BIG TIME trap shooter. So they can really talk to you about colors for you use. And since they die their own, they can make them slightly lighter or darker if you need. Great people to deal with.

risk

Dec 7, 2011
    I have used Randolph Ranger frames for many years.

I have Yellow, Brown, and Target Purple lenses in prescription.

Yellow is for indoors or dusk or seriously overcast days. Brown for bright days. Both are NOT for shotgun/clays use.

Target purple for clays. But I shot Sporting Clays, where not all targets were orange. We had all black, white, green, yellow, and orange. The Target Purple was good for all around use.

I get mine from Morgan Optical. The senior Morgan was a BIG TIME trap shooter. So they can really talk to you about colors for you use. And since they die their own, they can make them slightly lighter or darker if you need. Great people to deal with.

I spoke with one of the Morgans on the phone a few months ago, nice guy. I ended up purchasing over the phone from http://www.brandywineopticians.org/ since they sell Randolphs AND take EyeMed insurance. The XLW frames only cost me $14 and the RX insert was 20% off. Brandywine was the only Randolph seller who took EyeMed insurance...I called many of the shops.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I've found that yellow helps me in shooting on cloudy days on regular buff/black targets.

Mostly, for me at my level of skill, it's having glasses that let me have the front sight in focus. A fuzzy front sight and a fuzzy black ball just don't add up.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I've used ones that are between a yellow and orange and they do work well. But I only use them shooting clays. Clear for pistol or rifle shooting.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Too dark for standard day?

183951_1817681091518_1524857312_31889319_1718764_n.jpg

That pic of Elton reminded me of something.
    Oh yea,

Attachments

• sleestack.jpg
      sleestack.jpg
      32.6 KB · Views: 171

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    I made the mistake of wearing yellow shooting glasses at work once early on in my career. Made everything seem brighter but apparently also made it harder to differentiate between slate/white,blue/green,red/orange colors. Not gonna say what my average was on a 900pr tip and ring basic copper comms cable before I caught myself. At least I caught my mistakes and not somebody else but it was a lesson learned. Went right back to clear or just skipping glasses altogether after that.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Only neutral grey lenses will provide true color.

Any colored tint will shift colors, but that is the idea. To make certain things stand out.

Yellow and brown enhance contrast, making subtle shades standout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom