• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eurocarnut

Jul 28, 2010
    I stopped in at dicks this morning to get some 9mm and they were selling 15rd glock19 pmags. If a retailer is selling these is it okay to buy them? They did not appear to be pinned and the plastic bag clearly said 15rd. The sales associate confirmed they were indeed the 15rd mags.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I stopped in at dicks this morning to get some 9mm and they were selling 15rd glock19 pmags. If a retailer is selling these is it okay to buy them? They did not appear to be pinned and the plastic bag clearly said 15rd. The sales associate confirmed they were indeed the 15rd mags.

Which Dick's was this?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    No, it's not legal for you to buy them, nor is it legal for Dick's to sell them, or even offer to sell them.

eurocarnut

Jul 28, 2010
    No, it's not legal for you to buy them, nor is it legal for Dick's to sell them, or even offer to sell them.

That's what I thought but it threw me off when they were hanging there on the shelf for sale. They had plenty of them in stock too. I feel bad for an unsuspecting customer that doesn't know any better.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Last year I went in to the dicks in Waldorf and they had a bunch of tanerite on the lodge counter for sale. I asked the guy behind the counter if the law had changed making tannerite legal in Maryland. The guy said he did not think so but "dicks has a team of lawyers that let them know which products can be sold in each state so it must be fine". He then asked me how many pounds I wanted. I declined to buy any of it. I would guess it is just one of those mistakes made by corporate somewhere shipping a banned product to a store without checking to see if it is legal in that state first.
    I would definitely walk away from those mags

eurocarnut

Jul 28, 2010
    Last year I went in to the dicks in Waldorf and they had a bunch of tanerite on the lodge counter for sale. I asked the guy behind the counter if the law had changed making tannerite legal in Maryland. The guy said he did not think so but "dicks has a team of lawyers that let them know which products can be sold in each state so it must be fine". He then asked me how many pounds I wanted. I declined to buy any of it. I would guess it is just one of those mistakes made by corporate somewhere shipping a banned product to a store without checking to see if it is legal in that state first.
    I would definitely walk away from those mags

Ya it's just not worth the hassle however small the chance of actually getting in trouble is when you can drive 30 minutes and be totally legal.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Ya it's just not worth the hassle however small the chance of actually getting in trouble is when you can drive 30 minutes and be totally legal.

Yup. I'd go with they accidently shipped it to the store and worker boffins/manager who doesn't know any better put it out for sale.

eurocarnut

Jul 28, 2010
    Yup. I'd go with they accidently shipped it to the store and worker boffins/manager who doesn't know any better put it out for sale.

I even said to the sales associate that these are illegal to sell in the state of Maryland and he replied "yea everything is illegal here ." I guess he thought I was joking or something. Oh well.

Realistically I wonder what would happen to an unsuspecting customer that buys a product from a big box store like that?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Realistically I wonder what would happen to an unsuspecting customer that buys a product from a big box store like that?

I don't think you'd face any prosecution unless you admitted to knowing it was illegal. But I wouldn't put it past MSP to try and track you down and make you surrender the mags.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I even said to the sales associate that these are illegal to sell in the state of Maryland and he replied "yea everything is illegal here ." I guess he thought I was joking or something. Oh well.

REALISTICALLY, nothing. You take mags to counter, they ring em up, you hand them a wad of cash, and out you go.

IANAL but I would think Dick's would be liable for any legal problems and customer would be off the hook. Just like if they sold you a banned rifle, if it's for sale can't one make the assumption it's legal ? Like the first AR I bought at a lgs, I had no idea what made it legal/illegal, but since they were selling it I assumed it was legal and can't imagine I would be in trouble if it wasn't. Of course this is MD we're talking about so who knows

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    REALISTICALLY, nothing. You take mags to counter, they ring em up, you hand them a wad of cash, and out you go.

IANAL but I would think Dick's would be liable for any legal problems and customer would be off the hook. Just like if they sold you a banned rifle, if it's for sale can't one make the assumption it's legal ? Like the first AR I bought at a lgs, I had no idea what made it legal/illegal, but since they were selling it I assumed it was legal and can't imagine I would be in trouble if it wasn't. Of course this is MD we're talking about so who knows

Wrong. Ignorance of the law is not a defense to prosecution.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Wrong. Ignorance of the law is not a defense to prosecution.

True, but with the number of laws out there, no one can know them all.

Imagine if you bought your kid a fish at the pet store that was illegal in the US bc lf a distributor mixup, but you had no idea.

Or you bought a pair of knockoff jeans made in a sweatshop, but you were none the wiser.

Are any of those really the consumer's fault?
    I mean from a common sense standpoint, not a strict legal one.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I'm sure that Dick's will make the proper political donations to the right Democrat politicians, so that this silly misunderstanding is swept under the rug, and no charges are filed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom