• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I can't understand why a man wouldn't carry a knife either. I carry at least one at all times. More often than not, I carry three. If I'm In public or at work I carry a Leatherman Supertool 300, Spyderco Manix XL, and a Victorinox Swiss Army knife of some sort. I also have a Buck 110 that takes the place of my Manix XL at times. If I'm just at home bumming around inside or it's just before bed, my Victorinox Fieldmaster is in my pocket. I can't count the number of times I have handed out a knife/tool to somebody asking for one. I learned very early though to ask what it will be used for and will often oversee its use. I don't care if it's my $30 Victorinox I don't want somebody to be mis-using it.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I carry a pocket knife every day (unless I'm going to work in a secure facility that won't allow it)... 80% of the time I carry a Victorinox Deluxe Tinker, which for me is just about the perfect EDC knife. I like it because it has both the scissors and pliers features.... I find no end of use for the pliers. It also has a hook feature which is perfect for pulling heavy copper staples out of cardboard boxes (a must for those of us with an on-line ammo addiction). It also has a small ball point pen... and while I usually carry a pen, it is supper handy for when one isn't around.

I have a Victorinox (may be a Tinker?) from the early 80s that I have used for everything from camping, to gift wrapping, to grooming a Christmas tree (including sawing off the trunk!). It's in semi-retirement now, and I carry a half-serrated S&W Extreme Ops. Good enough to function, inexpensive enough to replace.

S&WDDS

Feb 26, 2015
    Howard County
    To the OP:

I think the shift has more to do with public school. If my kids went to school with an edged implement, they would be suspended. You fall out of the habit, find other ways to satisfy or avoid cutting tasks, and your behavior has been modified.

My daughter, who doesn't go to public school, lent her Swiss Army Camper to another student in class while working on a STEM project with the teacher in the group, who didn't bat an eye. Later, the other kid, who forgot to return the knife, had it taken from her by the Vice Principal...for safe keeping, until I had to pick it up from the office. VP says to me, "We're big campers, no one in my family is ever without a pocket knife...glad to see she was prepared!"

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    My son just got his Totin' chit Monday. He's 11, the smile on his face when he slipped his knife into his pocket, was priceless.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I always have a knife, usually (almost always) two of em. Small, useful and I go nowhere without them. Lost several over the years (yea, forgot about it on a plane, or at a game and had it taken by security), but I replace them and still take me everywhere. They are very useful tools and not a day goes by that I don't at least use one of them.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    30 years in the Fire Department I always carried a Buck 303 three blade pocket knife. Now that I'm retired I don't usually carry one. In my "job" as a Scoutmaster while on camping trips all I have to do is shout "anyone got a knife?" and about 30 knives will appear. Some scouts with more than one, kinda scary!

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Just bought a Dragonfly 2 Salt and carried it for the first time today. I took the pocket clip off and really like the lightweight but that blade shape will take some getting used to.

It seems so tiny at first. Then you start to realize it really does a lot of jobs despite it's pint sized nature.

I love the one handed opening. Great when you are in the middle of something.

cb51

It seems so tiny at first. Then you start to realize it really does a lot of jobs despite it's pint sized nature.

I love the one handed opening. Great when you are in the middle of something.

My old man never carried anything larger than his Case peanut. He said it doesn't have to be big, just sharp. When I grew up, I found that he was right on most things.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    My old man never carried anything larger than his Case peanut. He said it doesn't have to be big, just sharp. When I grew up, I found that he was right on most things.

No doubt. I'd rather have a small sharp knife than a big dull one. One of the best things I learned from my father and his father was how to sharpen various blades.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah

Sometimes bigger is better though...

bustersword.jpg

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My hair is too short for a comb. I carry a Kershaw with a 2.4" blade for work. I keep the lable in my pack so if the guards want to argue, I got proof it's legal. I got a $4 multitool from Walmart, I should have picked up four more. One of my EDC flashlights died when the crap battery corroded. I replaced it with a $34 Streamlight 300 lumens clip light. It will run 150 lumens with a single AAA, 300 lumens with a single 123A. I'm set as can be considering I'm in a federal building that deals with nukes.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    My hair is too short for a comb. I carry a Kershaw with a 2.4" blade for work. I keep the lable in my pack so if the guards want to argue, I got proof it's legal. I got a $4 multitool from Walmart, I should have picked up four more. One of my EDC flashlights died when the crap battery corroded. I replaced it with a $34 Streamlight 300 lumens clip light. It will run 150 lumens with a single AAA, 300 lumens with a single 123A. I'm set as can be considering I'm in a federal building that deals with nukes.

Buy Panasonic Eneloop batteries and you will never lose another device to an Alkileak.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I'm with you, OP. If I've got pants on, I'm carrying pocketknife, minimultitool on my keyring, a flash light and my flip phone (it's over 5 years old...and, sadly, the battery is wearing out. I have to put it on the charger every week now:rolleyes:).
    As crazy as we think those people are, I bet they wonder just as much how we can function without a smartphone.:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom