• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    https://www.facebook.com/ShockwaveT...312666272452/1683507475286302/?type=3&theater

ATF Says Shockwave Blade Okay to Shoulder.

I just got off the phone with a very nice gentleman at ATF Tech Branch---who was fielding these calls today. (He was, understandably, very well versed on the subject---and very nice about it even though he's been on the phone all day, repeating himself ad nauseam.) I identified myself and asked him specifically if the letter that's making the rounds is limited to one company's products--or if it applies to all pistol stabilizing braces. He said: "The letter covers all pistol stabilizing braces, including the Shockwave Blade." So that settles that.

He then gave me two points of further guidance for our customers:

1. By "permanent affixing," ATF considers that to be adding permanent Loctite to the large set screw that secures the Blade into the dimples in the KAK tube. As long as you don't red Loctite the set screw in place, ATF considers it to be "temporarily placed" and "perfectly okay to shoulder." (He didn't beat around the bush on this topic.)

2. "Length of pull"---for lack of a better word regarding pistol braces---begins to enter a "gray area" above 13.5". Above 13.5" begins "to enter shoulder stock area." (His words. I believe this has to do with the "comfortableness" aspect.) On an AR-15 pistol, the "length of pull" for the Blade is approximately 13.13", so no issues there. But if you use the Blade on a firearm that requires a large adapter of some sort, please make sure that you only use the dimples up to the point that you remain below the 13.5" length. Stay below 13.5" and according to ATF, it's okay to shoulder a Shockwave Blade.

So there you have it. Anything you read to the contrary on a web forum, social media site, or industry blog is simple misinformation by people who are not being completely honest.

You can find the Shockwave Technologies Blade here: http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=2316

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    news release: dont poke the bear with a stick when its sleeping.
    now lets go back to our regular programing.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    An interesting article in the July edition of the American Rifleman. The NRA, in the article says that this strictly applies to the SB Tactical-manufactured products only. It's on page 30, titled Fresh Air For SB Tactical.

If this is in fact the truth, this is not a free hall pass from the BATFE. This is just an understanding between the agency and SB Tactical.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    An interesting article in the July edition of the American Rifleman. The NRA, in the article says that this strictly applies to the SB Tactical-manufactured products only. It's on page 30, titled Fresh Air For SB Tactical.

If this is in fact the truth, this is not a free hall pass from the BATFE. This is just an understanding between the agency and SB Tactical.

Why spam every thread?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Why spam every thread?

It was 2 threads, I don't consider that spamming. If this is true that this is only an understanding between ATF and SB Tactical, I think this is important enough to get the word out. I have been in contact with NRA-ILA and they have no answers for me. They have forwarded my question to their legal office.

If this is ONLY an understanding between one manufacture and is not an across the board policy change, this is huge.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah

I think the American Rifleman blurb is incorrect. Other companies have stated they spoke with the ATF and were given approval. I suspect it was written and greenlighted before the extra info came out.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Only one thing left to do...

That was a joke...

Don't do it!

No thank you.

I'm going to let the NRA look into this. There are 2 articles in the July American Rifleman. One talks about the on again legality of the brace, the other says clearly that this only pertains to SB Tactical braces only.

Who knows what the correct answer is?

I don't.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I think the American Rifleman blurb is incorrect. Other companies have stated they spoke with the ATF and were given approval. I suspect it was written and greenlighted before the extra info came out.

Yep, KAK Industries released some info about this. Either way, I don't care. Even if illegal, let them PROVE that I shouldered one. Good luck with that.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Where is the Open Letter that the BATFE puts out when there's a clear understanding concerning issues like this. The letter addressed 1 manufacturer. The phone call that KAK says occurred means nothing to me. I can't believe they'd put that out there. A phone call means absolutely nothing to me or a court of law.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Just giving my opinion. Don't wanna shoulder it? Don't. That said, I don't see anyone spending time in jail over this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom