• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    A bit off topic but these never get old to me.

attachment.php

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I picked up two on my camera last week :)

Nice...Ive had numerous issues with my game cameras so I just ordered two new ones. I checked the camera the 14th come in to check and sit over the bait for the 15th and the camera is dead...I figure it took a bunch of pics...NOPE! ran the batteries dead and didnt take any pics:mad54::mad54:

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Well we've had some success on bait, My friends have shot 2 bear one old 10+yr old and a 2yr old. I have two more days for spring hunt. I had a chocolate one come in around 130pm yesterday, I sat on the bait last night and nothing came in. Im sticking it out see what happens. I still have the fall hunt though :)

Are brown black bears a thing? I thought al brown bears were grizzlies.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    :lol2: Been there done that...got a game cart...only bad thing is I cant leave it in my truck or it might get stolen...yeah luckily the bait isnt far from where I park...I just hope the bear doesn't run far when I shoot it!

Field dress em and pack em out

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Are brown black bears a thing? I thought al brown bears were grizzlies.

Might be the same one, but it was on two different baits. Possibly on the third one as well but I didnt have my crap together and didnt get a cam put on it. This fall I will have new cameras put on my baits. Ive had bunch of issues with these older game cams, batteries running dead, sensors not working,etc...Im starting fresh this fall. I will put cameras out the same day I put out baits.

Attachments

• chocolate bear 1.jpg
      chocolate bear 1.jpg
      148.9 KB · Views: 156
    • WGI_0016.jpg
      WGI_0016.jpg
      170.9 KB · Views: 160

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Ive seen 2 other browns in this area so I dont think its too uncommon. I even think I may have seen a blonde colored one last year but I lost track of it in the evening sun. It was close to some deer and then this blondish animal comes out and the deer took off. It was couple 1000yds away so I couldnt get a good look at it.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Bear tastes great

Is bear meat good eatin'?

Black Bear is delicious. Cook it like pork to kill bugs. Contrary to popular myth, it is not greasy, or strong tasting. I think it tastes a bit like veal.

A tractor is helpful to retrieve and dress :-)

Look to Youtube for caping instructions. It took me 2 hour but I'm getting a rug out of it.

A 300 Win Mag did not appear to be enough gun at 45 yards with a perfect broadsides hit. I'll try a 45/70 405 grain Buffalo Bore round this year.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Black Bear is delicious. Cook it like pork to kill bugs. Contrary to popular myth, it is not greasy, or strong tasting. I think it tastes a bit like veal.

Look to Youtube for caping instructions. It took me 2 hour but I'm getting a rug out of it.

A 300 Win Mag did not appear to be enough gun at 45 yards with a perfect broadsides hit. I'll try a 45/70 405 grain Buffalo Bore round this year.

yeah I dont know what it is but a 190lb bear is not the same as a 190lb deer.

they are tough animals for sure. My friends used a 308 and both ran less 60yds. They said neither one did a the "death moan" I cant wait for the fall hunt.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

My wife lost one with a 300 last week, we tracked for hundreds of yards, and nothing after the last blood we found. We had another bear on bait and she got it last night!140lb which is about average size for here...

Attachments

• Resized_20190919_201328.jpg
      Resized_20190919_201328.jpg
      95.5 KB · Views: 241
    • Resized_20190919_201348.jpg
      Resized_20190919_201348.jpg
      81.4 KB · Views: 244

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members