• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    According to sources DC Police have agreed to allow MPDC Reserve Officers the ability to carry off-duty.

Last edited:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Weren't they already authorized to carry under leosa? I am pretty sure it covers Reserve officers.

Last edited:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    They get an ID if they are active. I think you are thinking of retirees.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    First I'm hearing of it. A lot of our reserves are authorized to carry as I recall. I've only hit the street with armed reserves but I know we did/used to have unarmed reserves

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Apparently Reserve Patrol Officers Level I, who were issued firearms (and didn't have to turn them in at end of assignment), had to drive straight home and lock the firearm up. (See the last URL in my previous post.)

Maybe MPD refused to issue LEOSA cards?

Last edited:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Hey cypherpunk please don't take this the wrong way but per your PM I won't be making that call. I'm pretty transparent about who I am online and sometimes it's best to stay in your own lane instead of making waves ;)

Please don't take that as me being rude, I just don't feel it's my place to publicly push the envelope.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    So, more info...

Apparently, DC didn't allow otherwise qualified reserve officers to carry off-duty within DC, until this change.

It would appear LEOSA only applies to areas outside of your area of jurisdiction. Within your area of jurisdiction, your organization has full authority to regulate off duty carry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I remember back in the day, probably up until George Johnson became sheriff of AA county(mid-late 90's?) Deputies had to carry with a permit. But he changed that.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    So, more info...

Apparently, DC didn't allow otherwise qualified reserve officers to carry off-duty within DC, until this change.

It would appear LEOSA only applies to areas outside of your area of jurisdiction. Within your area of jurisdiction, your organization has full authority to regulate off duty carry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They could regulate it administratively. LEOSA applies nationally and the city cannot make laws without Congress. DC law even before LEOSA allowed LEO's to carry in the city off duty and didn't exclude reserve officers.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    wow, were they ever a LEO anywhere? or is this one of those "connected" folks?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Of course he was. With me. He's friends with the guy in charge of the dc program. TSA's LEOSA card machine has been inop since January. So he got his own card lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom