• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    Racoons destroyed my corn crop last summer. The corn was just about start to be ready to be picked and on day #1, the raccoons broke down about 1/2 of the stalks and ate all the corn cobs on them.

I cleaned out the damage as best I could, set some live traps with cat food just outside the fenced garden and DURING THE DAY while I was at work, they came and destroyed the rest of the corn. Every. Last. Stalk. broken and all cobs eaten. They ignored the traps that day.

Been taking it out of their hide ever since with no mercy (during legal season of course!). Raccoons have a vital role in the ecosystem, I know that, however, my feud with them continues. It has been a very bloody and very satisfying genocidal scale revenge I have to say. I will forgive them after this season and will go back to being at peace with them. A few dozen more to dirtnap before then I expect.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You can get a free permit to trap and eliminate raccoons if it is causing damage: Maryland Nuisance Wildlife Hotline at 877-463-6497. This is good for chipmunks, opossums, porcupines, rabbits, raccoons, skunks, tree squirrels and woodchucks in Maryland. Its good for 60 days and does not need to be "in season." They just ask you about the damage and take your name/address.

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/Wildlife/Pages/plants_wildlife/wildlifeproblems.aspx

Note that Maryland requires that rabies-vector species (raccoons, foxes, and skunks) be either: Released on the property from which it was trapped, euthanized, or "Transported to a person licensed to rehabilitate rabies vector species if they are orphaned, healthy, and dependent young."

Naturally you have to comply with local firearms laws....:innocent0

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I'm pretty sure there is a provision that allow landowners to get rid of raccoons damaging real or personal property, at any time. Don't know if this would apply, but if the buggers are destroying your porch or messing up your basement or attic, or getting your chickens, or attack your dog, then it's ok. Or destroying bags of feed, destroying crops. And destroying muskrat dens.

You can always get the landowner nuisance permit too, it's free and very easy to get, and the guy on the phone is really nice. I had a landowner get one for foxes and had me down as a sub-permitee, and when I called with a question, the guy was very nice.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Last night around 2am I woke a bit and my wife tells me she had heard something downstairs about an hour ago. She didn't wake me then, and went down with our derelict dog , whom was making z's in corner of our bedroom. She noted the dog food bin lid had been displaced. Said the dog was growling a bit by door. So I go down (had heard nothing) and I see the dog food lid half way open again. I go to kitchen where dog door is, and that SOB was right at the door ready for round #? He saw me, and left. I take it these guys run in gangs, so if I trapped one that may not solve anything? I'm leaving the dog downstairs. Wife and I are both :sad20: the dog is a lazy one. Had someone opened a wrapper, dog would of come running from anywhere in the house. The raccoon had walked right out the kitchen to a hallway where I have the food bin in a corner. It passed a four tier shelf unit that was full of food, like cereals, breads etc. and didn't touch it. Got real lucky this did not happen a week ago, when were were gone a few days. There would have been a party in our house by day two I imagine.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Last night around 2am I woke a bit and my wife tells me she had heard something downstairs about an hour ago. She didn't wake me then, and went down with our derelict dog , whom was making z's in corner of our bedroom. She noted the dog food bin lid had been displaced. Said the dog was growling a bit by door. So I go down (had heard nothing) and I see the dog food lid half way open again. I go to kitchen where dog door is, and that SOB was right at the door ready for round #? He saw me, and left. I take it these guys run in gangs, so if I trapped one that may not solve anything? I'm leaving the dog downstairs. Wife and I are both :sad20: the dog is a lazy one. Had someone opened a wrapper, dog would of come running from anywhere in the house. The raccoon had walked right out the kitchen to a hallway where I have the food bin in a corner. It passed a four tier shelf unit that was full of food, like cereals, breads etc. and didn't touch it. Got real lucky this did not happen a week ago, when were were gone a few days. There would have been a party in our house by day two I imagine.

Yes, it's likely you have a "pack." I have captured more than a few already this year, dumping my garbage. Havahart + Havea .22 = NotHava problem. I think I have at least one more to trap, taking up residence under the deck and growling at the dogs.

It goes without saying, but worth repeating... make sure your dog's rabies vaccine is up to date. Rabies is always fatal.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    The raccoons at Ft. Drum have been watching and learning infantry maneuvers. While in the field, a member of the raccoon team would thrash around and make one hell of a ruckus. While your attention would be on the noisy intruder, his squadmates would low crawl behind your position and steal your rucksack. (and no, i'm not kidding)

I smoked that stuff in the 70's too! Don't eat the brown acid!!!!!

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    My year long peace with the Raccoons recently ended. Theyve been getting into our barn eating the cat and horse food. And I observed my little terror of a barn cat, who Ive watched chase foxes off, playing with the damned thing while I was outside. That one coon was "removed" the other night. I checked my camera only to find 3 more had returned....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    So my wife was at her dad's and he gave her a trap. Set up and propped door open, not to trap (to acclimate first) He/she did not visit last night or if so took no bait. I'd think the odds would be high for a return after the climate controlled smorgasbord that was discovered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom