• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    IMG_0186_zpszddreoo1.jpg

Just picked the pistol up from Gunrunners this morning:) After reading the MkIV thread on red dots I decided to go with the venom. Going to be shooting steel with it so I figured the six MOA would be faster. First time with a red dot on my pistol and my question is where on the rail should I mount the optic? Front, middle or back? I've tried all here on my workbench and it doesn't seem that different to me. Is there a difference?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looks great. Reiterating Mopar's comment, most handguns designed for mobile optics/red dots such as Glock MOS series pistols, the Walther Q5, Sig P320, etc, have attachment points for the red dots at the rear of the slide. With the Walther Q5, one even removes the rear iron sights. It was my impression that this enables faster acquisition of the red dot as field of view within the optic is larger when closer to the shooter.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Moved it to the back as suggested. Went out to the range Sunday, sighted it in and then shot some steel. Once I got used to it -it was fantastic fun. Red dot where have you been all my life?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Looks great. Reiterating Mopar's comment, most handguns designed for mobile optics/red dots such as Glock MOS series pistols, the Walther Q5, Sig P320, etc, have attachment points for the red dots at the rear of the slide. With the Walther Q5, one even removes the rear iron sights. It was my impression that this enables faster acquisition of the red dot as field of view within the optic is larger when closer to the shooter.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Actually the reason all those pistols use slide-ride optics at the rear of the slide it that it is hard to put it any other place due to the mechanics of the gun itself. Comparing them to full competition open division guns that 90% use the C-More Railway red dot in one form or another you will see the optical window is farther down the gun. And that is mainly because the C-More is kind of long so it fits better that way. More a marriage of convenience because if you are shooting both eyes open and using both it matters very little since it is relatively far from your eye compared to say a rifle.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    OP, try it in different positions to see how the pistol feels and runs, also how you see the dot. Barring mechanical necessity there really isn't a right or wrong...its preference. You mentioned shooting steel with it, see which position drives best for you, allowing you good hold and smooth target to target transitions. Example, on most pistols I like the weight centered somewhere over triggerguard. On some I like it over the top of the magwell..

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Thanks for the feedback. Was going to try it last weekend at the range in different positions but I was installing the Tandemkross victory trigger last week and during the next to last step managed to launch the trigger spring and detent. Found the spring but after 20 minutes of searching couldn't find the other. So its on pieces on my workbench awaiting the replacement part. Up until then trigger install was quite easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom