• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I clean my guns about once a year or if they malfunction. Only clean bores if they start shooting funny. Lube often. Seems to work.
    The only real benefit I can see to cleaning more often would be IF you were inspecting parts for preventative maintenance/replacement. But I can eyeball most of that without doing the cleaning.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    It's good that ammo quality today is generally very, very good. This was nearly thirty years ago, a friend and fellow firearms instructor went to rifle instructor school...he had to supply his own rifle and ammunition. Everyone in his class had either a Colt AR-15 (pretty much the only option back then) or a Ruger Mini-14. He cheaped out and bought a bunch of Norinco ammunition for his AR-15 and was he sorry! He said that Norinco crap was so dirty he couldn't get through more than 20-30 rounds before he had to clean the rifle due to it causing problems. He ended up buying ammunition from someone else who brought a surplus. That was the last time he cheaped out on ammunition.

He also said by the end of the week and a lot of shooting every officer there that had a Mini-14 wanted to wrap it around a tree as they couldn't hold up under the sustained firing they were doing...all the AR-15s kept on shooting.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    It's good that ammo quality today is generally very, very good. This was nearly thirty years ago, a friend and fellow firearms instructor went to rifle instructor school...he had to supply his own rifle and ammunition. Everyone in his class had either a Colt AR-15 (pretty much the only option back then) or a Ruger Mini-14. He cheaped out and bought a bunch of Norinco ammunition for his AR-15 and was he sorry! He said that Norinco crap was so dirty he couldn't get through more than 20-30 rounds before he had to clean the rifle due to it causing problems. He ended up buying ammunition from someone else who brought a surplus. That was the last time he cheaped out on ammunition.

He also said by the end of the week and a lot of shooting every officer there that had a Mini-14 wanted to wrap it around a tree as they couldn't hold up under the sustained firing they were doing...all the AR-15s kept on shooting.

Only AR15 I ever has an issue with was the result of a manufacturing defect. The bolt was replaced and never failed again. From the sounds of it, I am bought into the “must keep AR clean” narrative a little to much. This endurance test proves it.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    It's climate dependent. I have found 0w40 and a light amount of gease is great for MD cold weather.

10w30 does great in summer.

Colder climates it may not be great.

Always prove out the "brew" before you trust it.

Is there any reason not to just use 0w40 all of the time so you are ready for most conditions?

I currently use ONLY grease for pistols and ONLY motor oil for AR's. Is there any way I could do better and/or use both grease and oil in some way?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Is there any reason not to just use 0w40 all of the time so you are ready for most conditions?

I currently use ONLY grease for pistols and ONLY motor oil for AR's. Is there any way I could do better and/or use both grease and oil in some way?
    Grease the guide flats on the BC as well as the bolt cam space(cam in). Grease the charging handle and also the buffer spring. Oil the BCG. Let's see, have I forgotten anything?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Imagine how reliable our engines would become if we tore them down, cleaned and lubed them the way some treat their firearms. I can't think of a vehicle with an ICE that isn't a much more harsh environment then any firearm.

Clean them when you have time, but not too often. Run them wet and replace things as they break.

Be safe.

That is exactly the argument to make. Chad mentions this in his class. As long as there is lubricant, The surfaces that slide and rotate within the engine push out the debris into spaces where parts are NOT rubbing together. The same thing happens within the AR15.

I Don’t want to speak for Chad but I don’t think he has anything against cleaning your rifle, the point he is trying to make is that as long as the critical parts are in spec, assembled properly and lubricated, your rifle will run well.

When failures happen they are almost never because the rifle was dirty.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    That is exactly the argument to make. Chad mentions this in his class. As long as there is lubricant, The surfaces that slide and rotate within the engine push out the debris into spaces where parts are NOT rubbing together. The same thing happens within the AR15.

I Don’t want to speak for Chad but I don’t think he has anything against cleaning your rifle, the point he is trying to make is that as long as the critical parts are in spec, assembled properly and lubricated, your rifle will run well.

When failures happen they are almost never because the rifle was dirty.

Interestingly enough, the BCM in the video has not been lubed for 7000 rounds... with doing what you say I bet that BCM would be in tip top shape.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I must be the only person in here not using giant blobs of grease and motor oil.

I usually just hops 9 my rifles clean and use some fire lube / or the old military gun oil that is getting hard to find that they claim causes cancer now ( cant remember the name off hand), on the contact surfaces of the bcg.

I probably clean my stuff more than I should.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I must be the only person in here not using giant blobs of grease and motor oil.

I usually just hops 9 my rifles clean and use some fire lube / or the old military gun oil that is getting hard to find that they claim causes cancer now ( cant remember the name off hand), on the contact surfaces of the bcg.

The amounts of lubricant I use is distributed throughout the weapon in places it should be.

There are no globs once assembled and racked a few times.

Your passive aggressive jabs are noted.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD

At this point you shouldn't post. We'll just assume you're going to do the opposite of what's correct and act like you don't know better when you make a smart ass remark and someone sets you straight.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    The amounts of lubricant I use is distributed throughout the weapon in places it should be.

There are no globs once assembled and racked a few times.

Your passive aggressive jabs are noted.

chad, there is no passive aggressive notes in here bud. i think you might have taken what i posted out of context.

i wasn't trying to be a smart ass or makes jabs at anyone.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    chad, there is no passive aggressive notes in here bud. i think you might have taken what i posted out of context.

i wasn't trying to be a smart ass or makes jabs at anyone.

Thanks for proving my point.

wow, that's quite an ignorant comment, but par for the course from you.

get over yourself already

If it's par for the course why the "wow"?

Give it a rest. It's getting old.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Thanks for proving my point.

:thumbsup:

If it's par for the course why the "wow"?

Give it a rest. It's getting old.

its called sarcasm my friend. see 2 can play this game. :)

for the sake of playing nice, go ahead and ignore my posts if they bother you, and ill do the same for yours.

Have a nice day and may the force be with you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom