• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Oh boy, well at least felons would get to vote again.....I've been real worried about their voting rights lately......

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Dozens of police officers in Louisville Ky. responded to the mayor's appearance at a roll call this past Wednesday by walking out. I fully expect to see more of this and other sorts of pushback nationally, as police increasingly grow tired of the lack of support.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Here's my question, can the council pass such a thing if the terms of it violate the city's contracts/agreements with the local fop?

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    I saw a funny cartoon one time. A cop was saying to some black people "If we really wanted to kill you, we would just stay out of your neighborhoods".

It looks like it may become a reality.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    https://thedcline.org/2020/06/04/pr...orms-will-be-introduced-and-voted-on-tuesday/

I’ll keep my thoughts out of this post but i will say i tip my hat to you residents for continuing to endure

This isn’t a reform bill it’s a “Christmas” list! So someone claiming “victims compensation” won’t have to report the crime to the police? And convicted felons, serving time, have the right to vote? I’m sorry, we call them “residents” now. Yea, maybe Santa Claus will come early!

Attachments

• DED92F4B-705F-4364-88D7-4944D6CA0874.jpg
      DED92F4B-705F-4364-88D7-4944D6CA0874.jpg
      76.3 KB · Views: 988
    • D93BE848-6380-4545-B45B-FFD30A91843D.jpg
      D93BE848-6380-4545-B45B-FFD30A91843D.jpg
      35.3 KB · Views: 986
    • DA336F2F-6A88-4383-BA16-B544ECFB364D.jpg
      DA336F2F-6A88-4383-BA16-B544ECFB364D.jpg
      39.1 KB · Views: 975
    • F313AEA8-0ED0-4987-B178-A7238950ACC2.jpg
      F313AEA8-0ED0-4987-B178-A7238950ACC2.jpg
      54.5 KB · Views: 960
    Last edited:

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    What a bunch of commie hogwash! Why don’t they change possession of an unregistered weapon to an infraction? Or get rid of their racist gun control laws all together. Surely those disproportionately affect minorities.

Only one I don’t have a problem with in theory is:
    Subtitle G: Limitations on “Consent” Searches
    Strengthens procedural justice in cases where a police officer’s search of a person or their vehicle, home, or property is based only on the person’s consent to the search – also known as a “consent” search; the officer would have to explain that the person is being asked to consent and that they can refuse the search

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    What in the hell is that person thinking???I see many MPD officers leaving the dept if they have the time in to do so then dc will really be up the creek without the paddle. If it gets to bad the feds might take over the PD again and dc has no say how the police dept is run..

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Direct implications on a very large FEDERAL EMPLOYEE workforce.

Direct implications on tourists.

Direct implications on professional sports fans who attend venues in the District.

This is a great example of HOME RULE gone bad. These folks are not governing. Instead they are presiding over the Cognitive destabilization of society.

It’s Aussie...no rules, just LEFT.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    What in the hell is that person thinking???I see many MPD officers leaving the dept if they have the time in to do so then dc will really be up the creek without the paddle. If it gets to bad the feds might take over the PD again and dc has no say how the police dept is run..

Charles Allen was elected by the residents of DC. He represents their views, and if this is what the people of DC wants, let them have it. They will learn that votes have consequences.

I like Title H about continuing education:
    Requires continuing education for MPD officers on: racism and white supremacy; limiting the use of force; de-escalation tactics; prohibiting the use of neck restraints; obtaining consent from subjects of police consent searches; and the duty to report and information on how to report suspected misconduct by another law enforcement official or MPD officer

The DC metropolitan police force is predominantly made up of white supremecists, don't you know? :rolleyes:

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    Some of this is good, some is ******** just meant to appear like real reform. Like the chokeholds proposal.

Subtitle A: Prohibiting the Use of Neck Restraints

Makes the use of neck restraints (also known as “chokeholds”) by any local law enforcement or special police officer unlawful, in addition to the failure to render, or cause to be rendered, first aid or to request EMS services if a neck restrain was applied (neck restraints are already prohibited by MPD policy, but the current statute permits them in some circumstances).

And what are those circumstances? Let’s see:

(a) The use of the trachea hold by any police officer shall be prohibited under any circumstances and the carotid artery hold shall be prohibited except under those circumstances and conditions under which the use of lethal force is necessary to protect the life of a civilian or a law enforcement officer, and has been effected to control or subdue an individual, and the Metropolitan Police Department has issued procedures and policies which require, at a minimum, all the following:

(1) That an officer shall have satisfactorily completed a course of training on the carotid artery hold;

(2) That the officer who has applied the carotid hold on an individual render that person immediate first aid and emergency medical treatment if the person becomes unconscious as a result of the hold pending immediate transport of the person to the hospital;

(3) That upon resuscitation of the unconscious person, the individual shall be transported immediately to an emergency medical facility for examination, treatment, and observation by a competent and qualified emergency medical technician or physician within a reasonable period of time not to exceed 1 hour; and

(4) That where the person rendered unconscious through the use of a hold is unconscious for a period of 3 minutes or more, or appears to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or has shown signs of acute mental disturbance, that person shall be immediately transported to an emergency medical or acute care facility for examination, treatment, or observation by competent and qualified medical personnel within a reasonable period not to exceed 1 hour.

(b) The failure to provide immediately appropriate medical aid as required in subsection (a)(3) and (4) of this section to a person who has been rendered unconscious or subdued by the use of a hold shall for purposes of civil liability create a presumption, affecting the burden of proof, of willful negligence and reckless disregard for the safety and well-being of that person.

(c)(1) Every police officer who under color of authority willfully and intentionally violates the standards prescribed in this section or any regulations issued pursuant to this subchapter shall, upon conviction, be subject to a fine of $5,000, or imprisonment not exceeding 1 year, or both, and removal from office.

(2) Such conduct shall also be subject to any civil remedies related to a violation of standards set forth in the police manual or general orders of the Metropolitan Police Department.

(d) The trachea hold is prohibited and the carotid artery hold shall be classified as a service weapon and all relevant Metropolitan Police Department general orders, special orders, and circulars shall be applicable.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The irony is that they'll force out the exact cops they should want to keep. The ones who have the skills to go elsewhere will, the ones too far in will retire at first chance. The only people who voluntarily work in a terrible situation are the ones with no other options.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    The irony is that they'll force out the exact cops they should want to keep. The ones who have the skills to go elsewhere will, the ones too far in will retire at first chance. The only people who voluntarily work in a terrible situation are the ones with no other options.
    The first rats to abandon a sinking ship are invariably the smartest and the best swimmers...

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    The bill starts under the premise that police presence makes the community less safe. This is absolutely and provably false. Under progressively soft on crime policies, homicides have almost doubled since 2012. Why are these council people so intent on allowing people to be killed? Data driven police enforcement is the only effective way to protect a population.

There is a lot rolled into that bill. One thing that stands out is officers cannot review their body cam to write reports. This will be a loophole for criminals if the officers recollection is not 100%. No ones recollection is 100%.

What alternative submission will they be training officers on if choke holds are not available? I suspect the answer is none. Instituting a comprehensive training program of self defense/MMA for officers seems reasonable.

Training on white supremacy in DC? That is just pandering.

I also do not like that police officers cannot be plain clothes during a protest/riot. Having police interspersed seems like a great way to alert uniformed officers of potential hot spots before they erupt.

There is no longer a requirement to report a crime to collect compensation??? That is written for fraudulent claims. :rolleyes:

Prisoners vote. So a person has demonstrated beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are a threat to the community, yet they get to influence the safety of the community.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I also do not like that police officers cannot be plain clothes during a protest/riot. Having police interspersed seems like a great way to alert uniformed officers of potential hot spots before they erupt.

I THINK this one is aimed at officers already in uniform. Apparently there were some Bureau of Prisons folks on the line the other night in unmarked uniforms. The press has been all over it.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    And also have read that Mayor Bowwow wants to make the dispersal of tear gas illegal in the district. Sure, get rid of an effective mob control and replace with what? Rubber bullets? Bean bags?

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    This sounds like the article I read in the Baltimore Sun yesterday about Senator Will Smith planning to introduce police reforms in next year's JPR bill stack - hoping to force it through with the weight of the Committee Chair's position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom