• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Anybody have any luck this fall with rockfish? Today is the the close of the Maryland striped bass season.

I got this 37-incher on another gentleman's boat on November 30th.
    attachment.php

I would be curious to see how anyone did this fall

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Nice fish.
    I went last week with my buddy who has his own charter business.
    His boat is docked in Wicomico Church, VA.
    We caught 4 fish in your range with the largest about 42 and 1 smaller fish.
    :party29:

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    My buddies got skunked trolling near the Cell yesterday, today got a 22 and 28 as of 1 pm, I told 'em to anchor, chum, and chunk till after dark (VA water) not sure what they'll do. Gonna make 50 lbs of venison sausage tomorrow.
    Nice fish Channel Cat - 23 lbs? or more?

carpoor

Dec 17, 2011
    I went on two charters this year and came up with nothing either time. Largest was 42 inch and only totaled 6 fish for both trips. Next year some one is getting knocked in the water when theres a fish on. I dont want to go empty handed again. lol

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I went out a few times in Oct and Nov. Got skunked once. I just go out to a couple places on the Gunpowder or Bush and throw rattle traps. Get shorts all the way up to 24'' fish. The smaller the better is how I like em.

John81

Feb 7, 2012
    This year has been a wash for me for fishing, I got out maybe 2 times due to our 1st child this year but next year going to go out more again on my boat. Did get a 40lber this year though

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nice fish Channel Cat - 23 lbs? or more?
    We didn’t weigh it, but she was fat. Best guess is about 20+ lbs

I went on two charters this year and came up with nothing either time. Largest was 42 inch and only totaled 6 fish for both trips. Next year some one is getting knocked in the water when theres a fish on. I dont want to go empty handed again. lol
    Did they draw cards at the beginning? I hate the cards! :tdown: I always seem to be last, although I did draw the ace of spades last time we chartered (ace was high) :thumbsup:

I went out a few times in Oct and Nov. Got skunked once. I just go out to a couple places on the Gunpowder or Bush and throw rattle traps. Get shorts all the way up to 24'' fish. The smaller the better is how I like em.
    Rattletraps have been good to us. The schoolies are definitely tops as table fare IMHO.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    My brother and I had some really good luck at 3 of our secret spots this fall. All spots are on land, 2 are in an area by my house, and another in Dorchester County. All we use is light tackle. From September to November we had some days where we slayed them. One night sticks out in my mind right before the storm. We were casting Rattle Traps as we usually do and brought in 10 keepers, all 18-24" and threw back probably 6-10 more that were 15-18". Down the shore we had great luck with Sting Silvers, Kastmasters, Crippled Alewives, spoons, and basically any other metal jig we could throw at them. Up here I had better luck with 1/2-3/4oz white buck tails with a 4" white mister twister and mainly Rattle Traps. I also ran a small red/white stretch that really did good the last time I was out. We ran chugs and poppers along with some softbaits, but the Rattle Traps were really the big hit. I'm already gearing up for next year.

Got 2 new rods and reels on the Chistmas list. One is a 7' Offshore Angler Inshore rod with Penn Battle 4000 reel and the other is a 6' Browning Fishing Hi Power MH with Penn Battle 3000 reel. The father in law is building me a 6-8 rod holder for the back of my truck. It will span the inside, but be removable. I can have it that the front of the bed by the cab, in the back by the tail gate, or pull it out and set in in spikes on the ground. I can't wait for next year!

One of the nights we went around here in mid October
    new iphone pix 11-27 034.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom