• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Did a search, didn't see it anywhere on here. Facebook has been lighting up with reports about a # of people getting mugged at gunpoint. Ghetto bird has been very busy the last couple nights over here. Can any LEO's confirm that is what is going on? It sounded like a viral urban myth at first but the details seem to fit and multiple people are talking about it. Here is what I got:

I just received this email from my coworker, Stephanie, who lives on the 600 block of Kenwood, near Gabes. She doesn't know Tanya, the author--she just received the email from a friend.

Friends & Family,

They say it doesn't hit home until it happens to you or a close
    friend, well I certainly learned a valuable lesson in city living last
    night.

I came home later than normal, around 9:15 pm from the county and was
    looking for parking on O'Donnell St. I was able to get parking on the
    corner of O'Donnell and Kenwood, about one block for my house,
    directly next to St. Casmir's church (mistake #1). I was walking
    towards the square, carrying a few bags of groceries and did not
    notice anyone in the area. I was on the phone taking to my mom
    (mistake #2). Before I knew what was happening, a man quickly
    approached me from behind, bearhugging me and knocked me to the ground
    with a gun to my head. I immediately started screaming and dropped
    everything I had, telling him to take whatever he wanted. Because I
    was on the phone, my mom heard the entire scuffle. I was certainly
    making a scene so the man probably started to get nervous and began to
    take a few steps back towards the church. I also heard yelling from
    another man not too far away (his accomplice, we think). I tried to
    grab my purse and run but he began running back towards me so I
    dropped everything but my phone (which I had picked up after falling)
    and started running towards my house on the square.

Jen had actually heard me screaming from her bedroom. I was banging on
    the door and within seconds safe in my home. She immediately called
    the police and tried to calm me down. We called over to Kristen (who
    lives directly across from where it happened) to see if she saw anyone
    and/or my bags and car keys. She gathered a little troop and was able
    to find my car keys in the street and recover my groceries, guess that
    guy wasn't so interested in my fruits and vegetables. He made off with
    my purse.

Unluckily for him, I just returned from Germany and hadn't restocked
    my wallet with everything I usually have in there, such as gift cards,
    my checkbook, etc. So he got a few bucks, my major credit cards,
    sunglasses, my glasses (which I am probably most mad about) and
    whatever other nicknacks I had in my purse.

The police arrived shortly, including a helicopter flying around
    Canton, to get my story and took me to the police station for further
    questioning. Meanwhile my mom called my dad and Dari made it down in
    record time so he came with me to the police station.

There was also a witness, another girl my age that was walking towards
    her car right where it happened so she gave her story and also came to
    the police station. She told the police if it wasn't me, it was going
    to be her next.

At the police station there was a another guy, late 20s, who had also
    just been held up at gun point on Wolf St just before me. He was
    approached by 2 black guys, one of which matched my description
    exactly. He was carrying a laptop, which they tried to get but in the
    end only made out with his wallet and phone.

The guy(s) attempted to use my credit card within minutes at the BP on
    Central Ave so we think he/they had a car.

The police are hopeful they will find him, as this was 1 of 3 similar
    cases in the past couple days, but who knows. It may take a few days,
    weeks, or maybe never. I didn't get a good look at him unfortunately,
    just a 6 ft young black guy, probably early 20s, wearing jeans and a
    dark sweatshirt with the hood up.

The main point is that I am safe, just a few scrapes and bruises, and
    extremely lucky. The takeaway from the story is to always be aware.
    Guy or girl, large or small, when you are alone you are very
    vulnerable, even if you are somewhere like the Canton Square at 9pm on
    a Monday night. I was the perfect target, a young girl alone, holding
    bags, and on the phone.

Just wanted to let you all know, especially those of you who live in
    the city, and give as much detail as I can remember so I don't have to
    retell this awful story over and over.

Ciao (your very lucky and now wiser friend),
    Tanya

steeter2

Sep 19, 2012
    Baltimore City
    I'm not a LEO, but I can confirm that that is what is going on. I live closer to Fells, but I have friends that live next to either this girl or someone else who was mugged right near O'Donnell St. and they told a VERY similar story to me last Thursday night.

Better believe I'll be on the lookout!

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    It is crazy to think how easy it is for these guys to do this and get away.

When the wife and I were getting gas while leaving the Air Show down at Andrews AFB, we witnessed a car robbery 2 lanes over from us. It was insane how quick and easy it was and how unnoticed he went. I was inside the store walking out when it happened and I didn't even see the guy. It was a normal day until AFTER he was in the car, driving off. Even then you didn't really know what happened because the lady that got her mercedes stolen was yelling, "baby, baby."
    I saw a car driving away and this lady yelling, and running towards the car, looking around yelling. I thought maybe she was yelling for her boyfriend or whatever. You couldn't really tell that someone stole her car until you could see her face and she said that someone stole her car. The lady apparently left the key in her purse in the car and he was able to just jump in and hit the start button and drive away, if it wasn't already running. You don't need to find the key, put it in the ignition, etc. These new cars are EASY to carjack or steal if the keys are in the front seat. Just jump in and hit the start button while pressing on the brake and you are off.
    It is crazy to think how fast and easy things happen and perps disappear so fast. Not to mention you are on their turf. They know to disappear into the hood.

Good reminder to be aware of your surroundings. I'm glad nothing else was done to these women and they got away with just losing their valuables.

CGrant726

Feb 24, 2009
    North Harford Co
    It happened. The Suns crime reporter tweeted about this the other day. I don't care for the Sun paper, but he is pretty quick with letting people know what's going on with crimes on twitter. People will tweet him with their area and say something is happening with police, and he'll usually get back to them with what happened.

mlance238

Mar 30, 2011
    My buddy heard the screams and saw the perps running away. Someone who lives down there told me they've counted 7+ muggings in recent times. I can't confirm that number, but it doesn't sound unrealistic.

There was a murder at 6PM on Sunday three blocks from Patt Park (NE side)...

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...1015_1_shot-multiple-times-man-shot-ski-masks

Also, I know a group of females who were mugged on Boston St. last winter. To say they're emboldened in the Canton/east Fells area is an understatement.

Last edited:

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    Looks like the section 8 trash from across Eastern avenue finally found their pot of gold.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    What is wild to me is that there are so many people walking around Canton Square. It seemed odd someone could get away with it multiple times with all these people as potential witnesses.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Moral of the story: ALWAYS BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS!
    This simple concept is what saved me from being attacked/carjacked by two idiot thugs in a parking lot. I saw them coming and got prepared, was even able to hit them both with my car while getting away. $500 worth of body damage was well worth it.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I hate to say it, but I'm not surprised. There's a reason the folks trying to revitalize that area have earned the nickname volunteer victims.

Jan 9, 2012
    Hoco
    Moral of the story: ALWAYS BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS!
    This simple concept is what saved me from being attacked/carjacked by two idiot thugs in a parking lot. I saw them coming and got prepared, was even able to hit them both with my car while getting away. $500 worth of body damage was well worth it.

what made you confident that you were about to get carjacked? without more details all I see in this story is hit and run. :innocent0

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    what made you confident that you were about to get carjacked? without more details all I see in this story is hit and run. :innocent0

We were leaving a shopping mall and they attacked my friend who was getting into the passenger seat right after asking him for a cigarette.
    I was already in the car(got in the car very quickly and locked the door when I saw the two strangers walking up to us).
    When I realized they were attacking my friend I immediately started the engine, threw it in reverse, and yelled "JUMP IN!".
    As soon as he jumped in I floored it and the open door hit both of them and threw them across the parking lot.
    I don't know how badly they were hurt, but as I drove away I looked in the rear view mirror and they were still hugging the pavement.
    When we came back a few minutes later with mall security to get my friend's glasses they were both long gone.
    The security guard helped us search mall property for about 30 minutes with no luck.
    It was scary but exciting at the same time and I'm very proud of myself for stopping two violent attackers.
    The attack is what actually convinced me of the importance of self defense and now I carry at least 4 self defense tools every time I go out.
    Enough details for you?

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    We were downtown last night at a wedding in Harborplace. I was going to walk across the street to Light Street pavilion to get cash because I didn't want to pay an ATM fee at the hotel. I got no more than 1/2 block out, and with no specific threat, "changed my mind". When I got back, my wife asked why I was back so soon, and of course I got the "told you so".

Here is what went through my head in like 2 seconds:
    -Its dark.
    -I am in suit. Target written all over me.
    -I am in shoes I cannot run in.
    -I had been drinking a bit, nothing serious but could feel the effect still then.
    -I have a wife and two kids that would likely be upset if their dad wasn't there anymore.

So I paid 2.25 fee, and went home safe.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Not surprised at all, its easy to rob unarmed people.

When we get CCW in MD, it will be interesting to see what happens during the period of time immediately after people first get their permits. I suspect there will be more than one mugger with pudding in their pants once they are looking down the barrel of a gun.

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    Doesn't surprise me in that area or even down at the Harbor, especially after 9pm. I used to work late down there and walk to the Light Rail and I was the victim of an attempted mugging twice. First time the perp just ran off after I turned around and saw him coming. Second time I had my pocket knife open in my left hand and scared him off. But from spending that much time down there and on up towards Hopkins, I can confirm it's not an especially safe area.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    My wife's job takes her to Canton a lot, often working late nights. Can't say I have been very settled about that lately, especially since Maryland's politicians have denied her the basic human right of self-defense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom