• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    So I've been trying to catch up with a coyote that has come in locally. I've had this carcass out for two weeks and of course the coyote has been scarce. On my last card pull I had this photo. What the hell is that in the background. It was not in the preceding or following pictures. Unfortunately it snowed again before I could check for tracks.

This is Jarrettsville, Harford county. We've had bears close in the past, but its February and I'd assume they'd be hibernating. Also, that would be a pretty damned big bear.
    19b69013247992570e7e86d323899e44.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I doubt a fox would be anywhere near a big predator. His sense of smell is solid and his hearing is even better. My guess is it's a non-animal reflection.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I say its double reflection on the lens from the fox.
    The spacing and the angle are just too close to be another animal in my opinion
    with multiple lens surfaces, it goes through one surface, some light bounces back on the next surface, then some of that bounces back to the camera sensor element
    all this reflection happening within the lens of the camera.
    edit: looking at it again, the other clue is that if you look at the photo and put a point into the center, the center of the photo is the half way distance between the 2 eyes of the fox and the ghost eyes.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I doubt a fox would be anywhere near a big predator. My guess is it's a non-animal reflection.
    I generally would believe the same, but I also have a picture of two raccoons, my cat, two foxes and a coyote over the same carcass at the same time.

Also not sure what would be reflecting, its in a fairly secluded area of the woods. Trying to find a daylight picture to share.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I say its double reflection on the lens from the fox.
    The spacing and the angle are just too close to be another animal in my opinion
    with multiple lens surfaces, it goes through one surface, some light bounces back on the next surface, then some of that bounces back to the camera sensor element
    Interesting, first time I've had something like that on this camera though through 1000s of pictures.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    A double reflection would definitely make me feel better given the proximity to the house.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Usually meat eating critters have eyes more to the front of the head to help with binocular vision, sort of an aid to predation.
    Ruminates to the sides like a deer. That’s why they cannot detect movement as easily with the head down and while browsing.
    That’s a Bigfoot I think judging from the width of the eye sockets.
    We can thousands of trail cam pics a year on off all the properties we hunt.
    Never seen nothing like that or cant even recall seeing eye shine from camera reflection.
    My votes for Bigfoot or a bear.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I generally would believe the same, but I also have a picture of two raccoons, my cat, two foxes and a coyote over the same carcass at the same time.

Also not sure what would be reflecting, its in a fairly secluded area of the woods. Trying to find a daylight picture to share.

Could just be an internal reflection in the camera lens. It isn't like these are super high quality optics and IR adds an extra dimension to that (most coatings for lenses don't do anything for IR as lens optics are generally optimized for visible light, when they are coated. Unless they are dedicated IR lenses)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom