Why do classified ads disappear when closed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I always find it useful to see what an ad sold for as it helps establish a going rate for a type of merchandise Can’t do that when the ad’s gone
    Also, it’s annoying to skim through looking for an ad that’s no longer there

Is there a reason the ads are deleted?

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    If someone hits the Commit to Buy tab the ad is gone and if it sold through PMs the seller deletes the ad. Why leave it there if it's sold.
    I've listed ammo three times in the last two months and the adds didn't last 30 minutes before someone hit the CTB.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    They aren't necessarily deleted, unless the seller does it.

They simply get closed.

You can browse closed ads to your heart's content.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 5.03.06 PM.png
      Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 5.03.06 PM.png
      7.7 KB · Views: 372

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    If someone hits the Commit to Buy tab the ad is gone and if it sold through PMs the seller deletes the ad. Why leave it there if it's sold.
    I've listed ammo three times in the last two months and the adds didn't last 30 minutes before someone hit the CTB.

And I don’t have any idea what ammo you sold and for how much. If I happen to be selling the same ammo, at least I’d have an approximate idea of what it’s worth. Market values are usually set by sold prices. Leaving up sold ads to fade away would keep newer ads in line with market price

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    And I don’t have any idea what ammo you sold and for how much. If I happen to be selling the same ammo, at least I’d have an approximate idea of what it’s worth. Market values are usually set by sold prices. Leaving up sold ads to fade away would keep newer ads in line with market price

I understand what you saying. If someone had a 870 for sale for $500, then the ad is gone, it would be nice to know what it sold for.

At the same time, if I sold 1000 rds m193 for $400 because that's what I needed for it at the time, that doesn't set a price for it, someone else may want $600 for the same thing and someone may be willing to pay that amount.
    I never agreed the the value being set buy sold items, especially in a smaller market like here or even on Gunbroker unless there are others available at that price.
    To me it's worth what it would cost to replace it, whatever it is.
    The rule of thumb on some collectors forums is to average the last three sales and then deduct 10%.

The way I se it, you set the price you want to get, if it doesn't sell, lower the price.

I can only see open adds also.

Last edited:

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    The closed option appears to not be working, like the rest all I have available is open. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    +1 on being able to peruse old ads. I actually couldn't even find one of my own ads, but I'm pretty computer illiterate.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    two things:

-what you see is different than obviously what we see, so forgive the incorrect information,

-the classifieds system is an add on to vBulletin and even when we added it on , it was becoming a legacy platform. It was shortly thereafter discontinued and no longer supported. It's literally a zombie.

So, we are caught in the conundrum that the community as whole has expressed a lack of interest in our upgrading the system software because it would change things. At this point the change would feel pretty substantial.

On the other hand, we have a classifieds system that sort of works, but not 100%, but isn't supported.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    So Norton, this and Pizzamaking.com are the only 2 I go to which do not have
    "context sensitive" - meaning if you hover above a thread one can read the beginnind of the thread -

I do like that benefit - also CorvetteForum.com has this scrolling thing which makes the whole thread one page -
    it takes a day or so to get used to it, but it is a good thing.
    Saves alot of time.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    "context sensitive" - meaning if you hover above a thread one can read the beginnind of the thread -

I do like that benefit - also CorvetteForum.com has this scrolling thing which makes the whole thread one page -
    Saves alot of time.

You can do that here.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    ...CorvetteForum.com has this scrolling thing which makes the whole thread one page -
    Saves alot of time.

I would literally pay for that option.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

Saves alot of time.

It does it for me on every browser. I don't think it's a setting that I used, it just does it. :shrug:

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    It does it for me on every browser. I don't think it's a setting that I used, it just does it. :shrug:

Ditto. I place the cursor on the thread in the main menu and voila I see a short (beginning ) of the thread. Makes it easy to figure out if the thread actually follows the form of the thread title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom