• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    https://dwr.virginia.gov/boating/access/

Starting January 1, 2021, anyone using a Department of Wildlife Resources (DNR) owned or managed boat ramp will have to pay for a permit to launch ANY vessel (Boat, Canoe, Kayak, Innertube, etc.) from said DWR ramp/access point. Doesn't matter if it's improved (paved ramp, dock, etc) or unimproved (dirt path) if you don't have a permit, they'll fine you.

A VA hunting, trapping, or fishing permit will cover you as will a "Restore the Wild" membership, or an access permit. The lowest cost option is a $4 single-day access permit. It's BS if you ask me.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Turd burglars beware...

People will be cutting new trails to the water's edge to avoid the boat ramps with kayaks/canoes...larger boats can't.

Every turd you take...
    Every squirt you make...

Every trip you take...every year to the lake
    They'll be watching you.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Covid caused an explosion in outdoor sports. The politicians can't let people get away with it for free.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Turd burglars beware...

People will be cutting new trails to the water's edge to avoid the boat ramps with kayaks/canoes...larger boats can't.

Every turd you take...
    Every squirt you make...

Every trip you take...every year to the lake
    They'll be watching you.

If it weren’t so sad, that is actually funny.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    PA has a launch permit. My parents live in PA and I kayak fish the "Sock"
    I put in on private land but pull off a a fish and game ramp.
    While pulling out I was asked if I had a launch permit,,,, I said "I'm not launching, I'm pulling out"

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The girl who posted the notice on Facebook where I saw it (I say girl, she's north of 40 with 4 kids, but she's on husband #3 because she's never grown the hell up), got into it with me when I mentioned that this was a dick move by the VA DWR. She lives in Front Royal and acts like Shenandoah National Park is her private playground and gets all pissy when other people are hiking on "her" trails or visiting "her" spots. She seems to think that this will stop people from littering or trashing boat launches on the rivers and creeks there. I told her that there are far better ways to prevent that, like educating people more and stepping up enforcement, not charging people to access a resource held in public trust. She argued with me about it and how if people couldn't afford $30/year that they shouldn't be using it anyway. I pointed out that she must be a fan of laws regarding things like "The King's Deer" and "The King's River" which limited the use of natural resources to only a chosen elite. She couldn't seem to grasp the concept of a resource held in public trust. I pointed out that it's been the most popular way of dealing with such things since Justinian Civil Law established it as such in the 6th century, but then she really couldn't follow the thread. Whether it's firearms or guaranteeing the public access to the resources that they "own," the morons will always ruin it for everyone.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Funny you should bring this up,, I am an avid kayak/camper/fisherman.
    We are there with the best rivers going to the "chosen few"

Many prime trips on wilderness rivers out west are rationed to select outfitters that you pay a "kings" ransom too.
    Or a sparse few "slots" are available to the common man via a lottery (1-5% chance) or a 10 year waiting list.

There are just to many people for to few resources.
    I used to do a 2-3 day kayak/camp/fish trip on the Doah between Luray and Front Royal, about 5-10 years ago the crowds started to grow exponentially,, it is like a stinkin street festival now on the river.

I weep for my future grand kids,
    I have a full understanding what the American Indians felt.

The girl who posted the notice on Facebook where I saw it (I say girl, she's north of 40 with 4 kids, but she's on husband #3 because she's never grown the hell up), got into it with me when I mentioned that this was a dick move by the VA DWR. She lives in Front Royal and acts like Shenandoah National Park is her private playground and gets all pissy when other people are hiking on "her" trails or visiting "her" spots. She seems to think that this will stop people from littering or trashing boat launches on the rivers and creeks there. I told her that there are far better ways to prevent that, like educating people more and stepping up enforcement, not charging people to access a resource held in public trust. She argued with me about it and how if people couldn't afford $30/year that they shouldn't be using it anyway. I pointed out that she must be a fan of laws regarding things like "The King's Deer" and "The King's River" which limited the use of natural resources to only a chosen elite. She couldn't seem to grasp the concept of a resource held in public trust. I pointed out that it's been the most popular way of dealing with such things since Justinian Civil Law established it as such in the 6th century, but then she really couldn't follow the thread. Whether it's firearms or guaranteeing the public access to the resources that they "own," the morons will always ruin it for everyone.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    While pulling out I was asked if I had a launch permit,,,, I said "I'm not launching, I'm pulling out"

That’s what I told her....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015

Many prime trips on wilderness rivers out west are rationed to select outfitters that you pay a "kings" ransom too.
    Or a sparse few "slots" are available to the common man via a lottery (1-5% chance) or a 10 year waiting list.

I used to do a 2-3 day kayak/camp/fish trip on the Doah between Luray and Front Royal, about 5-10 years ago the crowds started to grow exponentially,, it is like a stinkin street festival now on the river.

The more people that experience the great outdoors, the more people will support them. Its double edged sword.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Be careful with that. You want to make sure you pull out before you launch :-D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

On your last. So you’ve been attacked, had your lands stolen from you, kids stolen from you, friends killed and most everyone you know killed by diseases both unintentional and intentionally introduced?

Other wise you probably don’t have an understanding what most native Americans felt like.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    I said I had a "Understanding"
    For those without a dictionary:
    un·der·stand·ing
    /ˌəndərˈstandiNG/
    noun
    the ability to understand something; comprehension.""

I did not say I had a similar experience.

But my great grand parents and grand parent can say that.
    am I am keenly aware of what they went through and what happened to my relatives in Poland in the 1930s and 40s,,
    So YES I can understand

On your last. So you’ve been attacked, had your lands stolen from you, kids stolen from you, friends killed and most everyone you know killed by diseases both unintentional and intentionally introduced?

Other wise you probably don’t have an understanding what most native Americans felt like.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    This is expected, as VA governor office and assembly has been taken over by Democrats.

I told her that there are far better ways to prevent that, like educating people more and stepping up enforcement, not charging people to access a resource held in public trust.

I agree with you about increasing education and enforcement. Existing education and enforcement costs money. More of it would cost more money. Where would/should that money come from if not increased fees?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom