• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I don't shoot a buck unless I'm going through the expense to put him on the wall. That makes me VERY picky.

If you always shoot big bucks you will never shoot a giant buck.

Your hunting purposes may be different than mine.

kege1

Oct 26, 2012
    Been watching this guy since last season. I took his brother opening day last season. He was a nice 8. 1 more year or let em fly?

tW2yp3N.png
    You can't eat antlers

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    Private land or not, deer move. I can tell you if he crosses onto where I am hunting, thank you for the picture, I will tell you how he tastes. Jerky and chili! I would put him down. I don't have the luxury of these guys on TV letting deer walk by in this area of the country. Not to mention I only get a few days to hunt a season sooooo.....brown down!

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    I don't shoot a buck unless I'm going through the expense to put him on the wall. That makes me VERY picky.

If you always shoot big bucks you will never shoot a giant buck.

Your hunting purposes may be different than mine.

And there in lies the rub. We are all out there for something different. I am looking for food, and the farm I am on wants them eliminated as much as possible.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    If you are not hunting your own property it depends on the land owner. If they want them gone, then you really CANT let it walk. As I said before, deer move, and no one owns the deer except the state. It not anyone's deer until they put an arrow or bullet through it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you are not hunting your own property it depends on the land owner. If they want them gone, then you really CANT let it walk. As I said before, deer move, and no one owns the deer except the state. It not anyone's deer until they put an arrow or bullet through it.

True. I tend not to want to shoot really small bucks (or does for that matter). When I was public land and didn’t have a ton of opportunities or choices, brown, down.

Now that I CAN be pickier I am letting fawns/button bucks walk. Just going for the larger doe in a group. Even trying to ignoring the yearlings if I think it’s only a year old. A big 5-pt or more buck, just like a decent sized doe is going to get dropped. A little 5/6 might get to walk if he looks pretty small. Though if I am already a couple deer deep in the season I might just be looking for only a really big buck.

So far in 5 seasons of hunting I’ve taken a decent sized 8-pt (my first ever deer), a huge 5-pt (pretty sure my 8-pts grandson. Had the same look, similar antlers both taken within 50yds of each other 2 seasons apart), a big bodied, but small antlered 5-pt, a spike, three button bucks and Five does. Last year was the first year with my new house, 4.4 acres and able to hunt my own property.

That was a button buck, two good sized does and the big bodied, small antlered 5-pt.

This year, who knows. I’ve seen a lot of big does. Not many bucks. I’ve got a lot more confidence in how the deer behave around here. Learned a lot more. Figured out how they pass through the property. The trails. When they start changing patterns, etc.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Bodywise, he looks to be at least 3 Y.O.

Absolutely agree with that assessment, necks tend not to lie and teeth tend to confirm after the fact. I would "let it fly", particularly this year where all indications are more folks will be out looking for anything legal for the taking.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Pretty sure this is him. Reappearing - 20 yards broadside from one of my treestand locations. Just the wrong time. We will probably reconnect over muzzle loader.
    Nhv5VGx.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Pretty sure this is him. Reappearing - 20 yards broadside from one of my treestand locations. Just the wrong time. We will probably reconnect over muzzle loader.
    Nhv5VGx.jpg
    IDK. Looks like a different deer to me, but you know him better than I.

RedneckGeek

Feb 28, 2018
    Worcester Co
    Been watching this guy since last season. I took his brother opening day last season. He was a nice 8. 1 more year or let em fly?

tW2yp3N.png

Depends on the time of the season and if my freezer is getting close to full. I am a meat hunter, first and foremost if it's late in the year and I don't have four deer in the freezer yet, I am shooting. If the freezer is full and I am looking for something to mount on the wall he gets a pass. Maybe someone else gets him, maybe not that's the way it goes.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Looks like different deer unless something broke off at the end of the right side. One in dark pick is an easy pass. The other would all depend on the circumstances of the hunt for me.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Looks like different deer unless something broke off at the end of the right side. One in dark pick is an easy pass. The other would all depend on the circumstances of the hunt for me.

He looks a little diff but that is the only deer i've ever had back here w that claw on the right side. I havent seen him out of velvet either this season. But could still just be a new one coming in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom