• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    If it's brown, it's down. If I see a shot, I think it best to pull the trigger. I see little point in "saving" him unless you have a huge property that he won't wander off of.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    And the possibility of poachers?

I got texts at 4am from my neighbor that heard a string of about 15 shots from the road. So yeah. Coyotes too. Any property with more than 3 acres has someone in a tree + we have lippy brothers contract farming local fields and add crop depredation permits that comes w that including a bow hunting club that leases access to several nearby fields. Thinking i will add him to a wall.

Last edited:

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I got texts at 4am from my neighbor that heard a string of about 15 shots from the road. So yeah. Coyotes too. Any property with more than 3 acres has someone in a tree + we have lippy brothers contract farming local fields and add crop depredation permits that comes w that including a bow hunting club that leases access to several nearby fields. Thinking i will add him to a wall.

Get um while you can because you know some unscrupulous bastard will sneak on your land and take him.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Personal rule is I shoot every legal deer I can (except fawns) until I have enough in the freezer. Cant eat antlers and I have no desire hang dead animals on my wall, nor pay a taxidermist for the effort. Could not care less about antlers. YMMV

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    In captivity deer can live up to 12 years, in the wild 4 1/2 is old due to illness ect.... He's probably pretty long in the tooth the way it is.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I agree with this.

And this as well.

Oh you're just sticking up for your...

Everyone has their own ideas on deer management. We all have our own needs. Shooting something just because someone else might is never a reason for me to kill something. I have let nice deer walk, only to hear the guy next door shot it. Socks, but maybe he needed it more than I. That's no crime.
    Gutpile, time to earn.your name...:)

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County

Everyone has their own ideas on deer management. We all have our own needs. Shooting something just because someone else might is never a reason for me to kill something. I have let nice deer walk, only to hear the guy next door shot it. Socks, but maybe he needed it more than I. That's no crime.

I tried to put a smiley face but I just get the question mark boxes so...

Smiley face

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    If legal to take, drop them.

One less to run in front of someones car. Bambi has destroyed 2 cars of mine, I take it personally.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo

Happened to me on our lease last year. Not a trophy buck by any stretch, but a decent six point that looked like he had a lot of potential if he made it another year or 2. I saw this buck 7-8 times and let him walk. One of the other guys on the lease got him after he passed by me. Legal deer, so that’s the way it goes.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Happened to me on our lease last year. Not a trophy buck by any stretch, but a decent six point that looked like he had a lot of potential if he made it another year or 2. I saw this buck 7-8 times and let him walk. One of the other guys on the lease got him after he passed by me. Legal deer, so that’s the way it goes.
    It's the risk we take. Sometimes it pays, sometimes not so much.
    We used to have a saying when standing over a dead deer- "...that's as old as he'll ever get..." :shrug:

:)

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I’d have to know if there were better bucks running your property, if yes then let it grow another year or two. Keep filling your freezer with does if possible. If it were me, he’d make it to late muzzleloader then he’d be fair game if he came around, depending on my remaining buck tag situation.

As Outrider58 said, trophy management is different for everyone, many hunters every year will never see a buck that nice. I hunted many days last year between archery, early and late muzzleloader, and firearms season, and saw only one buck that had possibly a little more antler than that one. Saw him opening Thursday of early muzzleloader and hunted him the rest of the year and never saw him again. I have a small lease of a bit less than 11 acres in a highly residential area, so deer “management” is a pipe dream.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Old grinds just fine IMO.

Never run in to inedible venison, other than something someone left in a freezer a few years or let spoil before it was processed. At worst you double grind it all and you’ve got 100+lbs of decent chili meat for a really old giant deer.

I prefer about a 2 1/2yr old doe or buck (preferably not deep in to the rut on a buck as they taste gamier, but they can still be fine). Get a decent amount more meat compared to a 1 1/2yr old, but still decently tender.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’d have to know if there were better bucks running your property, if yes then let it grow another year or two. Keep filling your freezer with does if possible. If it were me, he’d make it to late muzzleloader then he’d be fair game if he came around, depending on my remaining buck tag situation.

As Outrider58 said, trophy management is different for everyone, many hunters every year will never see a buck that nice. I hunted many days last year between archery, early and late muzzleloader, and firearms season, and saw only one buck that had possibly a little more antler than that one. Saw him opening Thursday of early muzzleloader and hunted him the rest of the year and never saw him again. I have a small lease of a bit less than 11 acres in a highly residential area, so deer “management” is a pipe dream.

I’ve got no deer management. I am on 4.4 acres in a residential area of 1.3-5 acre properties. Creek and woods with a direct line about a mile to the state park, where there is 330-360 acres of bow hunting. Some of the deer that come by my place are from the park. Some are from the hood.

Neighbor/friend hunts them to. Not sure anyone else around us does. At least not particularly close. I’ve seen a feeder out on one other property. I see most of the same deer through the whole season.

Mostly does. Most of the bucks are young. Shot a nice 5-of that I thought was a 6 last season. Saw a really nice 12 that was almost only nighttime on my game camera. A HUGE 8 I saw one time in person days before opening season. Never showed on game cameras. A couple nice 8s I never saw in person. A smattering of forms and sixes. Also just on game cameras mostly.

Only had my camera up a few days and started tossing corn out by the salt lick mid week last week. Getting a lot more deer around the salt lick already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom