• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    A while back I bought a Police trade-in Colt 6721 AR off Gary at High Rock Outfitters in PA. Before I shot it, I took it to Chad so he could check it over, scope the barrel and replace the worn springs and extractor. While scoping the barrel he found evidence of significant wear and erosion on the gas port hole in the barrel. He estimated it had around 10,000 rounds through it.

A couple of weeks ago I was screwing around on Gun Broker and found a brand new 6721 barrel complete with F-marked FSB, gas tube, delta ring, spring and barrel nut.

Yesterday I met up with Chad and had him install it. He took the time to inspect and scope the new barrel to confirm it was as advertised - a brand new, never been fired genuine Colt part. He also convinced me to reuse the original delta ring - it has scratches on it from where it had set in a rack in a patrol car. Reusing it would maintain the character and appearance of the gun - a 17 year old work rifle. That required removing the FSB from both the old and the new barrel and then replacing it on the new one.

He also took the time to lap the receiver to ensure the barrel was seated squarely.

Not only did I get a new barrel, I also got a very detail oriented lesson on replacing AR barrels as Chad meticulously explained each step of the process. Anyone taking any of Chad's future classes, will have the chance to see what a shot out AR-15 barrel looks like - the old barrel is now one of Chad's teaching aids.

If anyone is looking to have any work done on their AR, I cannot recommend Chad highly enough. I don't see how you could go wrong with his know-how, attention to detail, wide range of specialty tools and his very fair service charge.

Thanks again Chad.

Attachments

• New Barrel 1.jpg
      New Barrel 1.jpg
      65.1 KB · Views: 415
    • New barrel 2.jpg
      New barrel 2.jpg
      61.1 KB · Views: 407
    • New Barrel 3.jpg
      New Barrel 3.jpg
      75.3 KB · Views: 417
    • New barrel 4.jpg
      New barrel 4.jpg
      83 KB · Views: 413
    Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Im humbled by the time you took from your day to post a review. Thank you Trepang for that, and the Barrel Donation for future Classes.

I hope that I didnt take longer than you had anticipated.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    Agreed!
    He checked out a few uppers and did some minor work for me recently. Wealth of knowledge and a nice guy. VERY fair prices, I actually paid him a little more because I felt the value for the work performed was well beyond what he charged.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If that's Chad, then who's the black dude who tells all the funny stories? :confused:

Gotta show my friend Irv some love.:thumbsup:

:D

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    One of our members here that lives close to me helped me assemble my 6.8 SPC upper according to the steps he learned in Chad's class, from lapping the receiver, polishing the feed ramps and using Mobil 1 oil to lube up the bolt lol. It feels amazing and will be sighted in in a few weeks as soon as I have time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom