• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Can anyone recommend a good soft point hunting round for my Springfield M1A chambered in .308 that wont be to harsh on this fine semi auto? The part of Frederick County that hunt in is allowing rifle this year. Thanks in advance.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    I've had good success with Remington Core-Lokt (150 gr) and Hornady American Whitetail (165 gr) ammo in my M1A. Worked great on deer and two large boars in Texas. One of the boars made it about 25 yds, the other was DRT...both of these were around 250 lbs.

If you're set up to load your own, 165 gr Sierra GameKings are great for hunting.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I like the Remmington Core Lokt for my 30-06. Not the same but close enough. In the 30-06, I like 165 grain. I also tested 180 grain and it hit a little more wildly/hurt a little more. I've also used Fusion brand but an into some duds.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I went to BPS yesterday in Arundel Mills and got the following .308 cartridges: (2) boxes of Remington Core Lokt in 150 grain (R308W1), and (1) box of Winchester Deer Season XP in 150 grain.

Both of these cartridges are rated at the muzzle at 2820 feet per second and 2648 ft-lbs (which I found interesting). I poked around the net, and the Australian FMJ mil surp 146.6 grain were rated at the muzzle at 2756 feet per second and 2472 ft-lbs. These figures seem pretty close, but I am by far no expert.

I'm actually waffling between the Springfield M1A and the Remington 700. On one hand, the 700 is a tack driver (even I'm getting quarter sized groups at 100 yards), but I would love to get a deer with the M1A as an "in your face" to those left wing knuckleheads of "no sporting purpose" fame.
    :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the feedback and advice!
    :party29:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I went to BPS yesterday in Arundel Mills and got the following .308 cartridges: (2) boxes of Remington Core Lokt in 150 grain (R308W1), and (1) box of Winchester Deer Season XP in 150 grain.
    Both of these cartridges are rated at the muzzle at 2820 feet per second and 2648 ft-lbs (which I found interesting). I poked around the net, and the Australian FMJ mil surp 146.6 grain were rated at the muzzle at 2756 feet per second and 2472 ft-lbs. These figures seem pretty close, but I am by far no expert.

I'm actually waffling between the Springfield M1A and the Remington 700. On one hand, the 700 is a tack driver (even I'm getting quarter sized groups at 100 yards), but I would love to get a deer with the M1A as an "in your face" to those left wing knuckleheads of "no sporting purpose" fame.

I use the 130gr Winchester ammo and its got killing power. I killed an elk last year and dropped my 8pt buck I got this year in its tracks. Even the deer don't go very far when hit with this ammo.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country

I love hunting with my M1A but have to say that the peep sight isn't well suited to low light conditions. Not a showstopper but may cut a few minutes off the extreme edges of hunting hours. I put a scope on mine last year but haven't been able to hunt with it since adding the scope.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    I use winchester 150 grain power point which is soft point ammo. Have taken many whitetails with it. It is accurate and the bullet performs well on whitetails.

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    I use winchester 150 grain power point which is soft point ammo. Have taken many whitetails with it. It is accurate and the bullet performs well on whitetails.

IMHO, Remington Core Lokts suck. I recently shot a small buck high in the chest at about 75 yds with a .308. He was DRT. However, when field dressing, I found the complete jacket totally stripped of the the lead core. Complete core separation. Lucky good result, but actually a total bullet failure.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    IMHO, Remington Core Lokts suck. I recently shot a small buck high in the chest at about 75 yds with a .308. He was DRT. However, when field dressing, I found the complete jacket totally stripped of the the lead core. Complete core separation. Lucky good result, but actually a total bullet failure.

This has been my results with bullet testing in various types of penetration tests from years ago. Remington "core-lockts" had the highest percentage of core and jacket separation way above any other brands I tested back then. I believe Remington's bullet design should be appropriately called "core loss", NOT "core lockt". Give me Winchester, Federal, or Norma ('specially Norma) any day of the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom