• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Newb question but I wanted to know if there are any tricks to solve this issue or if other people have the same issue.
    When I shoulder my rifle, especially while prone, I notice that it slightly turns clockwise (right handed shooter). I then apply pressure with my grip hand to force it back to a 12 o clock position. I'm wondering if this correction ends up hurting my accuracy. Does anyone have any tricks? Has anyone ever heard of using a slightly offset (twisted) pad on the stock?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Some stocks can be fitted with a rotating butt plate but your problem could probably be solved with proper coaching/training.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    so many variables.....are you in a sling? How is your length of pull? Does your build affect your prone position. Bellies can leave you rockin instead of planted. and on and on....

Basically -it's 99.9% you not the rifle. as outrider pointed out coaching can help. If your range has a high power or cmp team spend some time with them.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There is nothing wrong with canting the rifle to fit your shoulder pocket.

However, if you have a scope, you need to mount it so the reticle is vertical when you have the rifle in shooting position. NOT level with the rifle.

Iron sights will have a issue with adjusting, in the the dials will not adjust purely up and down or left/right.

Look up pictures of David Tubbs shooting. He seriously cants his rifle. And is one of the top rifle shooters in the US.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I first noticed it when at an Appleseed. So I was prone with a sling. Now, I notice it in any position and even with an adjustable stock. But yeah, it seems like I need someone to put some eyeballs on me and tell me what I'm doing.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    There is nothing wrong with canting the rifle to fit your shoulder pocket.

However, if you have a scope, you need to mount it so the reticle is vertical when you have the rifle in shooting position. NOT level with the rifle.

Iron sights will have a issue with adjusting, in the the dials will not adjust purely up and down or left/right.

Look up pictures of David Tubbs shooting. He seriously cants his rifle. And is one of the top rifle shooters in the US.

I was always taught the scope must be level with the rifle and everything level when shooing long distance. I'm not sure how could ever dial in your drop if the bullet was also shifting left/right from the start? The math makes my brain hurt.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Place the butt in your shoulder with it canted in toward you and when you plant your right elbow on the mat ( presuming that you are a right hand shooter), it will be more verticle. It is not necessary to have the rifle perfectly verticle to shoot well at known distances. Usually, most shooters will have a slight inboard cant when in prone using a sling. I will generally have about the same amount of inboard cant in both offhand and prone. In sitting , I have about 1 1/2 minutes of outboard cant. The main thing is that the amount of cant you have is consistent. It is generally not a good idea to try to twist the rifle to verticle with your shooting hand because it induces inconsistency. It is important that the sight aligns naturally with your eye so that you will have a consistent head position. FWIW, I am a high master and distinguished rifleman.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I was always taught the scope must be level with the rifle and everything level when shooing long distance. I'm not sure how could ever dial in your drop if the bullet was also shifting left/right from the start? The math makes my brain hurt.

You were taught wrong. :)

If the reticle is level/vertical with the world, your adjsustments are pure. Elevation has no left/right shift and left/right adjustments have no vertical change. Assuming your scope is OK. :)

But if you level the scope to the rifle, and then cant the rifle, if you adjust elevation, you will get a left/right shift. Assuming a proper tracking scope, if you adjust up or down, the point on impact moves up and down the vertical cross hair.

Take an extreme case, cant the rifle 45 degrees. With the scope leveled to the rifle, if you move the elevation X amount, it move the point of impact .7X in elevation and ALSO .7X left or right. If the scope is level to the world, even with the rifle canted 45 degrees, elevation adjustment just adjusts elevation.

Now, one caveat, if you have an extreme case (offset scope), you have to be careful sighting in. If your scope centerline is 2 inches left of the bore centerline, if you zero perfectly at 100 yards, at 200 yards, the bullet will impact 2 inches RIGHT of the point of aim. At 300 yards, it will be 4 inches right.

So, you sight in at 100 yards with bullet impacting 2 inches left of the point of aim. At 200 yards, it will still be 2 inches left, and 300 the same, at 1000 the same. Because the line of sight and bore axis are parallel.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Place the butt in your shoulder with it canted in toward you and when you plant your right elbow on the mat ( presuming that you are a right hand shooter), it will be more verticle. It is not necessary to have the rifle perfectly verticle to shoot well at known distances. Usually, most shooters will have a slight inboard cant when in prone using a sling. I will generally have about the same amount of inboard cant in both offhand and prone. In sitting , I have about 1 1/2 minutes of outboard cant. The main thing is that the amount of cant you have is consistent. It is generally not a good idea to try to twist the rifle to verticle with your shooting hand because it induces inconsistency. It is important that the sight aligns naturally with your eye so that you will have a consistent head position. FWIW, I am a high master and distinguished rifleman.

Yeap. Everyone is different. Some will have more or less cant based on the extra way their body is built. And it can change as you change weight.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Yeap. Everyone is different. Some will have more or less cant based on the extra way their body is built. And it can change as you change weight.

Hey P, don't forget 'bout high grade long range rifle stocks with adjustable butts for cant too just like on shotties.

Also the cant can change with a change of clothes too, just like the length of pull.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hey P, don't forget 'bout high grade long range rifle stocks with adjustable butts for cant too just like on shotties.

Also the cant can change with a change of clothes too, just like the length of pull.

Some stocks can be fitted with a rotating butt plate but your problem could probably be solved with proper coaching/training.

:D

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Newb question but I wanted to know if there are any tricks to solve this issue or if other people have the same issue.
    When I shoulder my rifle, especially while prone, I notice that it slightly turns clockwise (right handed shooter). I then apply pressure with my grip hand to force it back to a 12 o clock position. I'm wondering if this correction ends up hurting my accuracy. Does anyone have any tricks? Has anyone ever heard of using a slightly offset (twisted) pad on the stock?

If you are holding the rifle in position with your muscles instead of using sling and bone support to find your "Natural Point of Aim" then you will effect your accuracy. Muscles don't go back to exactly the same position, muscles get tired and start to quiver. Make sure you build a good position, have solid bone and sling support and find your natural point of aim (Google if you don't know what that is). Here is some helpful reading on positions just pick each position from the list, lots more information in their coaching resources section:
    http://thecmp.org/communications/gary_otm/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom