• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 17, 2009
    I think I'm going with the Remington 700 VTR
    32.jpg

hopefully have it by summer.And can anyone school me on the "free floating barrel"?the 700VTR isn't

beaglefan

Nov 29, 2008
    Essex md.
    Barrel doesn't touch any part of stock.No effect on barrel harmonics.Results in better accuracy.There are other methods to achieve accuracy like glass bedding.Easy way to find out if barrel is free float run a dollar bill underneath barrel between stock and barrel.If bill travels the lenghth of barrel it's free floated.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The stock on that model is it's downside, and this weakness is shared by certain SPS models as well. The stock is relatively flexible and while beaglefan is largely correct, the single biggest problem with a non-floated barrel is that the point of impact changes with stock pressure variation.

There are other M700 models that offer a floated barrel and aluminum bedding block that will be much more stable to shoot, due to a more rigid stock and better bedding setup. The OEM stock can also be replaced by a used HS Precision stock ($200+/-), which many people pull off and sell when converting their VS, PS or 5Rs to full customs.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    It depends on what you want to do. For an average hunting/range rifle, wont be a big deal. If you want to do some serious target work or long range hunting or anything that requires a high level of accuracy, then it will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom