• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I am starting a new thread about Myrtle Grove shooting range to separate it from other threads which emphasizes more of the negative aspects of the range. No rants here. This tread is for finding solutions and working together with other shooters that use the facility in hope of making it safer, cleaner and a CONSIDERATE place to enjoy the shooting sport.

I just got back from Myrtle Grove and spent a wonderful afternoon over there with friends. Doing what we like... exercising our 2A rights and having fun. I have been shooting at this range since 1985 and it is sad to see Myrtle Grove in such a dilapidated condition.

As a reminder to everyone using the facility, the range was intended for sighting in hunting weapons. It is not designed to handle the high volume fire as in commercial ranges. We also need to remind ourselves that the range facility is really meant to serve HUNTERS. This means, sighting in hunting firearms such as Shotguns (w/ slugs) and hunting rifles.

However, the massive influx of new shooters with Modern sporting rifles, pistols and shotguns means that Myrtle Grove will experience a lot more wear and tear as compared to the usual from previous years.

I also have information about the repairs that will shut down the range for a short time. This shutdown allows DNR to pave the entrance area to the WMA. Right now, the transition from dirt road to pavement at the entrance is uneven and vehicles get hung up.

The range baffles are also going to be repaired. Many sections have collapsed or heavily damaged by ricochets and misdirected fire. Soon, tactical umbrellas will no longer be required for hot sunny days, for a roof is going to be erected over the shooting area.

There will be no tolls or gate to charge for parking or entrance to the WMA as other have indicated.

I have seen this range undergo similar repairs in the past. Every time it is closed, I do feel that one of my favorite happy places is off limits. I have friends that shoot here; I also meet new friends and introduce people to the shooting sport at this range. It is a place to where people of similar interest hang out. It is an important part of my life and others. This is why I consider it ours.

So… with all that drama said. What can we do to keep the range safe and maintained?
    What will you do to help preserve a place where a lot a good times have happened?

If we, the folks that shoot at Myrtle Grove dont take good care of the place, then who will?

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    I am more than willing to donate time for up keep as my schedule permits. I would also suggest that the range rules be posted on each table. Many folks don't know and dont read the sign posted on the range shack.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Here aresome of my suggestions:

WE are all responsible for Policing ourselves at the range. We must hold ourselves accountable for safety and following the rules.

WE must all abide by the rules

We must remind others of the rules and not feel like an asshat when we remind others of safety rules. It is for everyones benefit.

As a reminder, DEER season is almost here. Let us be considerate to Muzzle loaders and other shooters that have to ZERO hunting firearms for this years hunting season. Nothing wrong with sharing a table with these guys. Hey... you may end up with a new friend.

When people are in line... Lets all be considerate. ONE HOUR range time and let others play.

a long time ago the range has a nice schedule for going cold and allowing people to set- up, put out targets, retrieve targets and to pack equipment.

it was Ten (10) minutes of shooting time, followed by a five(5) minute cease fire to allow for set up and target placements/ retrieval. Every 15 minutes- one volley, there can be 4 volleys in an hour.

This gives people an organized and predictable way of having a ceasefire. This allows for efficiency and more shooters to cycle through.

Next, i would ask for some volunteers to spend a little bit of time, before or after shooting to help police the line, to help remind people of rules, make sure actions are open during cold periods and help out new shooters. There are a lot of newbies around that need help. We teach them right.. especially about safety, that means one less shooter to worry about in terms of safety.

I dont mind spending an hour or so helping out others on the firing line. I hope others feel the same way. We need to replenish our ranks with 2A supporters that represent us in a positive way. We, are in charge of that. We can not fail.

Last edited:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I am more than willing to donate time for up keep as my schedule permits. I would also suggest that the range rules be posted on each table. Many folks don't know and dont read the sign posted on the range shack.

We need folks there on Sunday mornings to guide new shooters though rules, fees, safety and hours. Or a friendly reminder that the range opens at 1pm

People sometimes break the rules because of ignorance or bad information. We can turn these folks into resposible shooters.

Last edited:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Lets keep our shots within the orange mesh area of the target holders, this reduces ricochets or bad shots that destroy the baffles or the post that hold them up.

Lets also try our best not to destroy the target stands. i was at lane 7 today and no target holder. thats one lane out of service.

Last edited:

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    I go in spurts. I may go every three weeks or so for a while, then work or sports for my kids, or family, or weather get in the way. THE biggest issue I see about MG is the disconnect that the older/seasoned shooter crowd has with the younger/new shooter crowd. Since I go in spurts, I am often seen as the new crowd. Most of the time I just noticed some of the older folks paying close attention to what I'm doing. I just go about my business with no issues. The younger/new shooter crowd communicates differently. I'm caught between the 2 crowds. I would start by using a voluntary list of emails and maybe cell #'s to keep informed of dates, times, closures (like the recent one). If they don't want to volunteer it, no big deal. I'm also not sure who would be in charge of the lists and emails/texts. Maybe the true rangemaster or a volunteer? Just a thought, but all info is not on the website. The other possibilities with the email/cell info are probably endless, but just a thought for a start.

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    Great Tone to Initiate this Thread!

ScarCQB does a great job in articulating a positive vision for this thread. Griping and whining is sometimes fun, but positive action is much more rewarding thin the long-term.

As I see it, the goals to support Scar's vision should be as follows:
    1. Control of the behavior of the personnel showing-up to shoot at MG so as to eliminate or minimize safety hazards and structural damage.
    2. Repair and maintenance of the facilities as the suffer from "normal" wear-and-tear.
    3. Improving the overall experience for all folks who visit MG -- from skilled and experienced competitive shooters using EBRs, to shotgun-wielding hunters, to new shooters with guns like 10/22s.

I would suggest that one of us contact DNR to see exactly what we could be permitted to do in terms of achieving these goals:
    1. Would they permit and empower a group of volunteers (NOT range-Nazis) to assume the RO/RSO duties? Would it be good if these volunteers were trained as NRA RSOs?
    2. Would they permit citizen volunteers to perform routing maintenance on the facilities -- perhaps via a quarterly "volunteer work-day"? Perhaps under the oversight of a DNR employee?

This is a positive thread. Kudos for Scar for diverging from the prior bitch-n-moan themes.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I go in spurts. I may go every three weeks or so for a while, then work or sports for my kids, or family, or weather get in the way. THE biggest issue I see about MG is the disconnect that the older/seasoned shooter crowd has with the younger/new shooter crowd. Since I go in spurts, I am often seen as the new crowd. Most of the time I just noticed some of the older folks paying close attention to what I'm doing. I just go about my business with no issues. The younger/new shooter crowd communicates differently. I'm caught between the 2 crowds. I would start by using a voluntary list of emails and maybe cell #'s to keep informed of dates, times, closures (like the recent one). If they don't want to volunteer it, no big deal. I'm also not sure who would be in charge of the lists and emails/texts. Maybe the true rangemaster or a volunteer? Just a thought, but all info is not on the website. The other possibilities with the email/cell info are probably endless, but just a thought for a start.

it may sound stupid... But at work, I made a policy that requires the older employees to be responsible for making sure that the new ones gets introduced to everyone. that should work in a place like Myrtle Grove.

We need to change the culture, after all.. We all share a common interest. That should be a start.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Please, no range NAZIs

A friendly reminder is all thats required. people screw up once in a while... Try to make that a positive learning experience instead of a pissing contest.

What do you guys think about scheduled cease fire or cold periods? It that something that is viable? We call one out every 15 minutes. With a two minute warning.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    it may sound stupid... But at work, I made a policy that requires the older employees to be responsible for making sure that the new ones gets introduced to everyone. that should work in a place like Myrtle Grove.

We need to change the culture, after all.. We all share a common interest. That should be a start.

That is the best idea I've heard in a while. One of the biggest issues is communications in general. I have lived deep in the south and found myself moving up here when I was much younger. It seems when you travel north of NC, people become very stand-offish when it comes to FTF communications. I say all of this because this is the main reason people who are knowledgeable don't try and help those less knowledgeable. People look at you like who the hell are you and who the hell asked you? I'm sure you've seen this before. Persistence is a start. I'm guilty of not saying anything at times just because some folks act like you are bothering them or taking up their time. I will start with myself and speak more often.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Another important point that we need to enforce is that when someone calls for a COLD range. please make sure to clear all actions, open bolts and leave thevweapon on the table.

Also, make sure that the shooters beside you are also safe. Only then should a response of " COLD" with the customary thumbs up signal should be given. TRUST BUT VERIFY. Pay close attention to muzzle loaders, it takes them longer to make a weapon SAFE.

It is too common that people do not follow that rules of a COLD range. Handling guns, actions closed, loaded guns while people are down range.

This is where a volunteer is greatly appreciated. making sure that actions of people and guns are safe before any of us head downrange.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I think a time schedule would be fantastic!

10 minutes to shoot, followed by a 5 minute break( cold)

Or

15 minutes to shoot, followed by a 5 minute break.(cold)

Preceded by a two minute warning, before the break. it is efficient and predictable. No guesswork or feeling like an idiot when you want to change targets / set up.

PeePeeMcGee

Jun 24, 2013
    NOVA
    One of the biggest safety concerns ive noticed is that we should really call a "cease fire" and then Allow about 30 seconds for everyone to safely unload and open the action on their weapon before calling "cold."

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    One of the biggest safety concerns ive noticed is that we should really call a "cease fire" and then Allow about 30 seconds for everyone to safely unload and open the action on their weapon before calling "cold."

At least 30sec, or more. 15 firing and 5 cold sounds good to me SCAR

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location

making a weapon safe is not a race. TAKE YOUR TIME, ask help or render help if required. i too, notice that people give the all clear signal while still trying to make a weapon safe.

One accident is one accident too many.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    At least 30sec, or more. 15 firing and 5 cold sounds good to me SCAR

That is three sets per hour. Which I also think is reasonable. I wonder if people would agree to that. I know that DNR wants it that way( more like 10 to shoot, 5 cold) but do not have the funds to assign a rangemaster to the range all he time.

i do know that DAN from DNR runs it that way.

We can simply agree on a schedule, come up with a consensus , post the schedule and anyone there should be able to look at their watches and follow it.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I suggested at one time to "Dan" what about putting some type of PVC holder 2 per station at intervals 5, 7, 20, 25, 50, 75, 100yds so you don't have to make such a big base for the target holders. Put them about 2inches from the ground level buried a foot or 1.5 feet with gravel inside up to 8 inches from the top. just to allow drainage of the pipe. this would help align the shots to miss the poles at the end of the range. dunno if this makes sense. Just a suggestion/thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom