• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I just happened into one (Gen 3) this weekend. A 10mm was on the list this year in a Glock or 1911, whichever presented first. This will be my first Glock. Any recommended mods/upgrades? Only one on my radar is a possible barrel upgrade for a possible diet of hardcast bullets. Thoughts/experiences with this particular model?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Much of it is preference, and what you plan to do with it, otherwise it's a fine pistol out of the box. For me personally, all my GLOCKs get the same treatment, night sights, radiused/polished striker safety button, polished trigger bar and extra power trigger spring(to reduce takeup weight) and that about it. My gen 3s might get a talon grip and gen 4 connector, compacts get a smooth faced trigger bar(I hate the serrated one). Ends up with good sights, a smoother trigger with a lighter takeup and more distinct break/reset at the factory weight, perfect for a combat pistol IMO. For my G20SF, I got an ISMI solid captured spring guide rod and a couple springs, usually use the 20#, but have a 24# I got for really hot loads, but the 20# works with them, and the 24# is a little heavy for light loads, so I don't really swap them anymore. Bought my 20 before the gen 4s were out, but given the choice, I would choose a gen 4 every time. The texture is much better where the 3s can be a little slippery, and the gen 4 recoil spring setup is far better, it can handle light loads to full power with no problem. The gen 3s are sprung a little too light out of the box for 600+ FPE stuff and the slap from recoil can be a little harsh.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    :thumbsup: Thanks for the insights. That's a lot of good info. Primary use will be at the range and likely as a back up gun for four-legged predator defense on future hunting trips out west. For the latter purpose, would be using hot hard cast ammo. I've got some time before it would potentially be pressed into that duty, so there's plenty of time to evaluate and get the set up optimized.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OR - Stock Gen 3 out of box is perfectly functional , within the limitations of polygonal rifling .

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    :thumbsup: Thanks for the insights. That's a lot of good info. Primary use will be at the range and likely as a back up gun for four-legged predator defense on future hunting trips out west. For the latter purpose, would be using hot hard cast ammo. I've got some time before it would potentially be pressed into that duty, so there's plenty of time to evaluate and get the set up optimized.

Figure any ballistic benefits you might gain from heavy hardcast vs plated or jacketed ammo is kinda offset by the potential issues from aftermarket barrels. Storm lake, KKM and Bar-sto are generally good, but even so they may need minor fitting, and can be less reliable due to different feed angles. I used a storm lake for a G30 to shoot 45 super, and it was decent, but was more ammo sensitive with some bullet shapes mostly XTPs and fat rounded hardcast 45LC bullets, which were the 2 that I use more than any other for 45super. both were 100% in the factory barrel. Seems a lot of knowledgeable folk don't follow the old "never shoot cast in a polygonal barrel" they get dirty, and might need to be cleaned more, but no real evidence they actually lead foul to any degree more than cut rifling, and it's questionable they casued any actual kabooms compared to double charges or other issues with the reloads. Might have better luck in 10, but unless you are dead set on hardcast, I would rather avoid them.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    I would at least update to extended slide release, 4.5 lbs connector, 22 Lbs recoil rod since all these parts are cheap. Then if $$ is available then night sights or flash light. I got a G20SF a few years ago but haven't shot it enough since I ended up with G29 gen 4 and G40 later on.

The strange thing is I used to own a Gen 2 Glock 24 (long slide 40cal) and I could not get used to the grip and had to shift my grip to use slide release/ mag release constantly. No so with the current large frame models and my hands are medium size. Definitely go with Gen 4 grip.

I also have after market made by KKM on my 29, no issue of any type. Although I highly doubt I will be shooting a lot of hard cast bullets. How much do you plan on shooting them? Unless you reload, those Underwood ammo are expensive. I have about 100 rds or so, but I only plan to shoot a few.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Thanks all for the information, all! I've had the 20SF for just over a month now and have had it out a few times with some 180 and 200gr factory FMJ. It shot very well and without a single hiccup. I swapped out the factory sights for some Trijicon B&T night sights and picked up a 20# guide rod assembly. I'm sure that some additional upgrades will be made as it and I get better acquainted. I've been very pleased with it thus far. I was lukewarm on Glocks until now. This one will not be my last, for sure. :party29:

I'm still waiting to test out some hardcast through it - it will be factory Underwood and possibly some Federal Solid Core as I don't reload (yet). Both options are coated, so I'm a bit less concerned about lead fouling and looking more to test performance.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    FWIW, it may be worth taking a look at Buffalo Bore ammo. He has an extensive line of dangerous game hard cast stuff. Its kind of his specialty.

454shooter

LARGE Caliber
    Jun 20, 2020
    Harford County
    FYI...if you think you want a KKM barrel...I would order one now...I placed my order 21 Jan and it allegedly shipped yesterday. I think their website shows minimum 10 week lead time.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    I probably said this before but I will say it again. Now that you enjoyed shooting your G20, if you want more range/ trigger time, simply run (cheaper) 40cal ammo through it. I have done this on my G20, 29 and G40 with out any issue. No conversion barrel, different extractor, mag change -needed. It's slightly less accurate but it will work just fine.

Just make sure you clean chamber area really well before going back to shooting 10mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom