• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Made in jolly old England

Found in bottom of one of my Uncles tool boxes. Handle was wrapped in old electrical tape, removed and found nice Bakelite handle.

Short machete or very large caping knife?

Nice patina, I’m going to see if I can resurrect the edge. Appears to be good quality steel.
    ec1da7323621031ca8e9b34b80d30b24.jpg
    90fa7fc3032b04a4db44f6a4c7b9b5e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Just got my latest BHQ exclusive (natural G10/black coated CPM M4), the Benchmade 940 Osborne. Love the steel and knives they choose, the raw G10 can be left alone, or dyed any color you want, Mine are all cobalt blue. The BHQ exclusives are probably my favorite knife series to actually carry.

Attachments

• Benchmade-M4-940-Osborne-AXIS-Lock-Natural-G-10-Black-BHQ-114142-jr-spine-large.jpg
      Benchmade-M4-940-Osborne-AXIS-Lock-Natural-G-10-Black-BHQ-114142-jr-spine-large.jpg
      35.6 KB · Views: 567
    • 20201219_101014.jpg
      20201219_101014.jpg
      80.7 KB · Views: 570
    • 20201219_102548.jpg
      20201219_102548.jpg
      100 KB · Views: 570

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Just got my latest BHQ exclusive (natural G10/black coated CPM M4), the Benchmade 940 Osborne. Love the steel and knives they choose, the raw G10 can be left alone, or dyed any color you want, Mine are all cobalt blue. The BHQ exclusives are probably my favorite knife series to actually carry.

very nice, congrats...I saw that when it was announced and fell in love also. never knew you could dye that G10, learned something new.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    very nice, congrats...I saw that when it was announced and fell in love also. never knew you could dye that G10, learned something new.

Love the 940, it just feels and cuts near perfect. Missed out on their para 2, but have a Bento box shop exclusive (Blue G10/ M390). Really want a BHQ pattern 550 griptilian and Yojumbo if they make them. Dying their scales is easy, use whatever color Rit synthetic die you want, about 1 part dye 3 parts water and a cap full of white vinegar, get it to a slow boil stirring constantly. Dissasemble the knife, degrease/clean scales and wipe down with alcohol before placing in the dye for 1-20min depending on color depth, rinse in hot water and scrub with a dish brush, then dry and reassemble. Some have done cool dye jobs, or being it's translucent have done things like silver paint on the back and a dye color on the front for a cool metal flake look. I can't stand the pale whitish look of the natural G10, but like being able to basically pick my color without spending loot on scales.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Love the 940, it just feels and cuts near perfect. Missed out on their para 2, but have a Bento box shop exclusive (Blue G10/ M390). Really want a BHQ pattern 550 griptilian and Yojumbo if they make them. Dying their scales is easy, use whatever color Rit synthetic die you want, about 1 part dye 3 parts water and a cap full of white vinegar, get it to a slow boil stirring constantly. Dissasemble the knife, degrease/clean scales and wipe down with alcohol before placing in the dye for 1-20min depending on color depth, rinse in hot water and scrub with a dish brush, then dry and reassemble. Some have done cool dye jobs, or being it's translucent have done things like silver paint on the back and a dye color on the front for a cool metal flake look. I can't stand the pale whitish look of the natural G10, but like being able to basically pick my color without spending loot on scales.

thanks for that info ! I picked up a carbon fiber 940 last year. I was a little unsure about the reverse tanto, but it has become one of my favorites.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I do like a good trench knife.

The most outer two are Windlass reproductions, left center is Cold Steel, and right center is APOC.

Attachments

• 20210112_104124.jpg
      20210112_104124.jpg
      139.8 KB · Views: 350

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Latest BHQ exclusive, a Para2 in CPM M4 / natural G10 with a tanto blade. This one was tough to get, sold out in 15min with the website crashing the whole time, got it added to my cart seconds after it was released, then by the time I got checked out they were gone. I generally am not a big fan of tantos, but this one is done right, a thin hollow grind on the main edge, strong flat grind on a radiused tip, the angular design looks cool in black DLC. The Para 2s handle is near perfection for a utility folder IMO, and own a few Para2s and 3s. Same dye job as all my other BHQ exclusives, Rit saphire blue synthetic, about 1/3 bottle in about 12oz of water, capful of white vinegar, clean the scales, and slow boil for 5min stirring constantly.
    20210201_182644.jpg

20210201_182757.jpg

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    My oldest is really in to collecting knives. For his birthday we let him get on Benchmades website and "build" his very own griptillian.

Attachments

• 20210202_140643.jpg
      20210202_140643.jpg
      67.7 KB · Views: 242
    • 20210202_140649.jpg
      20210202_140649.jpg
      78.2 KB · Views: 246

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    Alucard, those sure are pretty! I know you've mentioned before that you custom dyed your scales, but I'd forgotten that when I was looking at the pic, and thought that it was a factory job.

Seeing those lined up together, it seems that the Manix2, Para2, and Yojimbo2 all have roughly the same overall size for blades and handles. (Yojimbo being a little shorter and much wider, than the other two) Am I estimating that correctly?

I've been looking at picking up another pocket companion, and have been considering both the Para2 and Yojimbo2. Do you have a preference between the two? If so, what makes one more attractive vs the other?

Also, when folded, how much larger and more noticeable is the Yojimbo2 than the Manix2? (I've got a Manix2 and carry it a good deal. It's not too big for me, but there are some situations where it seems to straddle that line, depending on what I'm wearing, carrying, and/or position I'm attempting to get into)

Finally, what do you think of the Compression Lock on the Yojimbo2?

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore

The g10 Osborne looks really good!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Alucard, those sure are pretty! I know you've mentioned before that you custom dyed your scales, but I'd forgotten that when I was looking at the pic, and thought that it was a factory job.

Seeing those lined up together, it seems that the Manix2, Para2, and Yojimbo2 all have roughly the same overall size for blades and handles. (Yojimbo being a little shorter and much wider, than the other two) Am I estimating that correctly?

I've been looking at picking up another pocket companion, and have been considering both the Para2 and Yojimbo2. Do you have a preference between the two? If so, what makes one more attractive vs the other?

Also, when folded, how much larger and more noticeable is the Yojimbo2 than the Manix2? (I've got a Manix2 and carry it a good deal. It's not too big for me, but there are some situations where it seems to straddle that line, depending on what I'm wearing, carrying, and/or position I'm attempting to get into)

Finally, what do you think of the Compression Lock on the Yojimbo2?

The Rit synthetic dye sticks to G10 very well, it's a nice even translucent color, changes a little in different lighting conditions, and while it appears opaque indoors, you can see the lock and liners through the scales in sunlight. if you clean and degrease them right it's pretty easy to get good results.

Funny thing, the smallest knife, the 940 has the longest cutting edge at 3.4", the Spydies have about a 3" edge despite the blade being nearly 3.5" due to the forward choils, all are about the same length, but 3 completely different blade shapes.

The Yoji has a hollow grind and a needle sharp tip, Most fans dub it "the box cutter from hell", it will slice cardboard like nothing else, and the handle shape makes a nice fat and comfortable grip for scoring or cutting with your thumb on the spine. The blade is really heavy for it's size and spydie flicks really well, the compression lock is great on it, especially being your thumb is further forward and not over the cutout like it can be on the Para2. It carries slightly smalller/higher than the manix and Para2 in the pocket, with a deep carry clip it looks like a pen being the little end nub of the handle is all you can see. The Para and Manix have a much more versatile blade shape, and IMO the Manix has the best lock of the 3(after it smooths out or is polished). The Para has the best handle for control and power. The Normal para has a fairly thick blade and a fine tip that can be easily damaged, but is great for fine work(the Tanto version has a vastly stronger tip). The Manix has a nice strong tip and slices a little better due to the thinner stock and broader blade. IMO the Manix is the most versatile and best all-around utility knife. The Para is the best for camping or when you need a lot of control for a delicate task. The Yoji is best at work, opening boxes and cutting cardboard.

20210202_150407-1.jpg

20210202_154858.jpg

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    That snow shot is really cool!

Your response was perfect, as it provided me with a lot of the information that I'd been looking for, as I hadn't been able to find a head-to-head-to-head comparison.

And, the bottom picture was perfect, as it gave me exactly what I'd been trying to find, unsuccessfully, with regards to folded size.

Thanks for sharing! (And, apologies for what turned out to be a barrage of questions)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    That snow shot is really cool!

Your response was perfect, as it provided me with a lot of the information that I'd been looking for, as I hadn't been able to find a head-to-head-to-head comparison.

And, the bottom picture was perfect, as it gave me exactly what I'd been trying to find, unsuccessfully, with regards to folded size.

Thanks for sharing! (And, apologies for what turned out to be a barrage of questions)
    no problem, always fun to talk knives and guns. have a lot of folders, but more often than not I carry a Spydie of some sort. Always hard to see what fits you or a task, especially when nobody really carries much locally, and it can cost up to $200 just to find out if you like a knife. The designs tend to be somewhat specialized, but oddly enough are usually versatile for things not originally intended for, the Yoji was designed by Michael Janich as a defensive knife, but it works for a lot more. You can't go wrong with a Spydie of any reasonable blade shape, and there are a lot of places where people buy/sell/trade them

20210203_130107.jpg

Last edited:

k3usr

Nov 16, 2007
    SOG Seal Pup Elite Tiger Stripe

sog_seal_pup_elite_tiger13.jpg

I still have some Army stuff laying around to use as props for knife photos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom