• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Had a disagreement this morning with a friend who is a FFL in another state. He kept telling me it was illegal to do private sales or transfers of long guns in Maryland. I informed him that it most certainly was NOT illegal to do a private sale/transfer in Maryland between 2 Maryland residents that were not prohibited from possessing a firearm. I told him that it may change if Hogan signs the bill(which I believe he will:sad20:

Anyone have a link or statute that backs up my claim?

unimogger

Mar 11, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Just to confirm - does the language 'THIS SECTION DOES NOT APPLY TO (1) A SALE, RENTAL, OR TRANSFER: (I) INVOLVING A LICENSEE OR A FEDERALLY LICENSED GUN MANUFACTURER, DEALER, OR IMPORTER' mean that gun rentals at a range operated by an FFL would still be legal without a NICS check and documented transfer?

-and-

That that the $30 amount specified in one of the versions has been set aside and the
    'REASONABLE FEE' for performing the background checks will be any amount an FFL decides to charge?

Last edited:

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Just to confirm - does the language 'THIS SECTION DOES NOT APPLY TO (1) A SALE, RENTAL, OR TRANSFER: (I) INVOLVING A LICENSEE OR A FEDERALLY LICENSED GUN MANUFACTURER, DEALER, OR IMPORTER' mean that gun rentals at a range operated by an FFL would still be legal without a NICS check and documented transfer?

Yes. At least that's the way I read it.

-and-

That that the $30 amount specified in one of the versions has been set aside and the
    'REASONABLE FEE' for performing the background checks will be any amount an FFL decides to charge?

Yes.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD

-and-

Does this mean C&R to C&R long gun transfers are still legal as well?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Had a disagreement this morning with a friend who is a FFL in another state. He kept telling me it was illegal to do private sales or transfers of long guns in Maryland. I informed him that it most certainly was NOT illegal to do a private sale/transfer in Maryland between 2 Maryland residents that were not prohibited from possessing a firearm. I told him that it may change if Hogan signs the bill(which I believe he will:sad20:

Anyone have a link or statute that backs up my claim?

I didn't find anything in Criminal Law, Title 4:

https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2018/criminal-law/title-4/

Also, Public Safety, Title 5, does not have anything about private sales of long guns:

https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2018/public-safety/title-5/

However, when Larry signs HB4 or when his veto is overriden, it will.

This is a case where absence of a statute means it is okay. You don't presently need a statute to use your toilet, but give the Maryland General Assembly a few more years and they'll give you one.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Is there an exemption for in family transfers? I recall one of these bills carving that out.

For immediate family:

“IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER MEANS A SPOUSE, A PARENT , A STEPPARENT, A GRANDPARENT, A STEPGRANDPARENT, AN AUNT, AN UNCLE, A SIBLING, A STEPSIBLING, A CHILD, A STEPCHILD, A GRANDCHILD, A STEPGRANDCHILD, A NIECE, OR A NEPHEW, AS RELATED BY BLOOD OR MARRIAGE."

If the relation is not in this blurb above, then they ain't immediate family for the purposes of HB4.

BW460

Mar 8, 2012
    This scares the crap out of me. My girlfriend and I have lived together for about 10 years but we are not married. I keep my guns locked but she knows where the keys are. What does this bill mean to me? What happens when she is home but I am not? I am an 03FFL but I don't think that means anything when I leave her at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom